Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where would you go to see Northern Lights?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Where would you go to see Northern Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 05:48 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Old thread ... 11 years! But ...

I've seen the northern lights many times.

You can see them around Winnipeg, but they're usually just green there.

You can see them around Red Deer, in fact we had a fantastic autumn overnight tour that was highlighted by northern lights and the howls of coyotes.

And you can see them up around Grande Prairie where I lived for many years.

In both Red Deer and Grande Prairie, they appeared in red, green, and white.

But apparently there are even more colours further north.

Personally, I want to see the "southern lights".
The glorious southern skies at night aren' t enough for you? I only saw the southern lights (aurora australis) once in ten years, and they were a distant, flickering green showing over the gentle hills behind our property. Those in the know (my well-travelled neighbours) told me the northern lights were better, but I was impressed enough.
Old 02-09-19, 08:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
When this thread started I do not know if they had good websites predicting where they would occur. Here are a few links. Their strength varies over time so the forecast changes to the conditions.
Ovation Auroral Forecast | Aurora
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/a...3-day-forecast

I have seen them in northern Manitoba, Boundary Waters Canoe Area (Minnesota/Canada border) and rarely from southern Minnesota. Once from southern Wisconsin, but that was quite rare.

Winter in Iceland is a spot that some people go to see them.

You often can't see them from cities because the northern lights are not bright enough to overcome the light pollution, even the light from the moon can make them hard to see.
Old 02-09-19, 08:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
I don't see a trip where the main goal is to see the Northern Lights as a stellar cycletouring expedition.

As others have pointed out, chances to see improve as one travels north. Traveling progressively north in the northern hemisphere's summer means less nighttime, a twilight sky that never gets full dark and finally the midnight sun. Washout. Hmph.

Traveling north in the winter yields long, dark nights...and abominable conditions for cycletouring.

Where would I go to see Northern Lights? Churchill, Manitoba. It wouldn't be a bike trip, but I might take my Dahon Curl up on the train and pose some pictures.

Old 02-09-19, 09:28 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I love how these zombie threads are dredged up by a first time poster advertising their services.
Old 02-09-19, 01:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
North

As suggested; stay the Winter in high northern latitudes , in the summer it may not be dark enough...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-20-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 05:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
A zombie thread to advertize and nobody at any point suggested Principal Skinner's Kitchen? For shame!
Old 02-10-19, 07:47 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Sign up for iditabike or tour Iditarod trail. There is a nice article in the latest adventure bike magazine
Old 02-11-19, 04:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
We saw the Northern Lights in Nova Scotia in September. NS is also a great and interesting place to cycle. We got there via ferry out of Maine; I don't recall which town back then, though currently, Portland has such service, and you can get to Portland.via the Downeaster Amtrak train out of Boston.

I'm not sure of their bike policy, but they might take bikes, even perhaps fully assembled.
Old thread ... 11 years!
Re-opened 2/9/19, followed by 11 post including mine .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-11-19 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I love how these zombie threads are dredged up by a first time poster advertising their services.
Good catch. You're right. It's not the first time it's happened.
Old 02-11-19, 03:45 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Zombie thread or not, it’s still a cool topic, eh? 😎 I saw them up in Alaska, or more accurately, Unalaska, several years ago, while commercial fishing. That was in March, I believe, still pretty chilly.
Just as cool, we saw several killer whales, swimming & playing near the ship. That’s WAY better than Sea World or something. 😉
Old 02-13-19, 07:09 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Yeah, I know. And for 'ecotouring' of all things, and they even offer a 'carbon offset' option. Don't get me started.

I do appreciate the bump, though, and the new photos.

Last summer I drove (yes, I drove. Call me a hypocrite, it's not lost on me) to Western New York and rode all the way around Lake Ontario; but I didn't see any Northern Lights while there. Later in the summer I drove (mooched a ride; the driver was going there anyway) to Michigan and rode about halfway around Lake Michigan; but even in the Upper Peninsula I didn't see any Northern Lights. Weather was good enough; there just wasn't anything to see. Bad luck.

You can see them around Winnipeg, but they're usually just green there.
In both Red Deer and Grande Prairie, they appeared in red, green, and white.

But apparently there are even more colours further north.
Ah, thanks for mentioning the colors. I'm afraid red and green are kinda lost on me, so even if I do get to see a good display of the Aurora , I'll be missing some of the magic. I guess that's a good 'sour grapes' way to talk myself out of making a crazy expediditon just to see them.

Last edited by rhm; 02-13-19 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 12:10 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Yes the ferry to Nova Scotia from Portland does take bikes fully assembled.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
We saw the Northern Lights in Nova Scotia in September. NS is also a great and interesting place to cycle. We got there via ferry out of Maine; I don't recall which town back then, though currently, Portland has such service, and you can get to Portland.via the Downeaster Amtrak train out of Boston.

I'm not sure of their bike policy, but they might take bikes, even perhaps fully assembled.Re-opened 2/9/19, followed by 11 post including mine ..
Old 02-13-19, 12:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Yes the ferry to Nova Scotia from Portland does take bikes fully assembled.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, my uncertainty was if the Amtrak Downeaster train from Boston to Portland takes bikes, especially fully-assembled (not boxed).
Old 02-22-19, 09:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
We drove to Alma QC in March a few years ago, visiting the Ice Hotel near Quebec on the way, to give you an idea of the temps, and had used the Aurora website mentioned above to plan our days. Spectacular display the first night, which we missed due to the overcast where we were but which could be seen from our alternate destination to the west. Next night was clear but the lights were barely visible.

Fairbanks AK is supposed to have them visible frequently.
Old 02-22-19, 10:35 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
The best I have seen were in Northern Saskatchewan in late August and in the Gulf Islands, B.C., in September.
You don't neccesarily have to be that far north, but it has to be dark when you are likely to be up, which is not the times of year that people are likely to be cycle touring.
Old 02-28-19, 07:58 AM
PedalingWalrus

Yes they do. I took a bike from Portland to Boston and back. Fully assembled. You need to specify it in your reservation to make sure they have a room for You.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for the reply. Actually, my uncertainty was if the Amtrak Downeaster train from Boston to Portland takes bikes, especially fully-assembled (not boxed).