Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Building better than riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-11-19, 06:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Building a fourth frame and am starting to think I like building frames better than riding. I just get into this time and reality warp when filing away on a lug or drawing out a design. Never thought anything could replace riding, but perhaps frame building is the one thing that can. Wish I had known this when I was 20. Nah, I was too busy racing and living the life.
Old 03-11-19, 07:35 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've never built a frame or anything, but I certainly do enjoy buying a used bike, stripping it down to the bare frame and building it back up with some modifications and customizing it to my liking. I find it very therapeutic. I guess the real term for that would be assemble rather than build.

I also like to assemble my own computers and modify guitars too. I just can't leave well enough alone. It's a sickness.
Old 03-11-19, 09:09 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
With the lousy weather we've had even in California (yeah, I know, stop whining) I've been enjoying working on the bikes more than riding. A $20 Raleigh Super Course project came along at just the right time. I mentioned it to a bike club buddy the other day, and he said, sometime you have to stop polishing and ride! Almost there.😀

As bought.

Getting there.
Old 03-11-19, 10:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I am working thru how to build my 2nd frame- itll be a gravel frame with disc brakes and a carbon fork.
I keep going back and forth between a 1 1/8 steerer as i know how to build that with lugs bit with a carbon fork that is limited to a 40mm tire with at dropouts, and building with a 44mm head tube to use a tapered steerer fork that will accomodate a larger tire and have thru axle.
to build the second setup, I will need to learn fillet brazing and figure out how to align it.

I absolutely love the learning, planning, and execution processes.
...but it's limited to seasonally when I won't ride. Still love to get out on the paved and gravel roads!
Old 03-11-19, 10:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Building a fourth frame and am starting to think I like building frames better than riding.
pics!
Old 03-11-19, 10:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Building a fourth frame and am starting to think I like building frames better than riding. I just get into this time and reality warp when filing away on a lug or drawing out a design. Never thought anything could replace riding, but perhaps frame building is the one thing that can. Wish I had known this when I was 20. Nah, I was too busy racing and living the life.
It's a trap I fall into as well. I play guitar and build tube amps, and I never end up practicing for long before I've got screwdrivers or a soldering iron out, tweaking things instead.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I am a horrible guitar player, and have been plucking the strings for 40 years. Just suck at it. Building an instrument has always interested me, but something about working with metal is in my bones. Odd man out in the family as I have one brother who was a custom furniture builder, two that are home builders, and my dad that was a hobby wood worker with a fully equipped shop. The brother that built custom furniture also enjoyed metal work and is the one who got me started on this bike frame building kick.
Old 03-12-19, 07:53 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I used to own a model train. Built the wooden structure for a landscape, but never actually implemented landscape or houses. But the electrical control systems were complete and fancy. Now, I have been studying electrical engineering for about 10 years (it's time to finish though ).

Letting the trains roll? ....happened 'from time to time'.
Old 03-12-19, 08:04 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Although I can braze effectively and have the machines to build frames, I just have too many other irons in the fire. One thing that I am considering though is to get some custom parts made so that I build my own bamboo bike. I have a very good stand of bamboo in the back yard, I just need some metal parts to put it together.
Old 03-12-19, 09:48 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Sounds like you were too busy learning. Congratulations on finding your (new) thing.
Old 03-12-19, 11:04 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
A guy I know builds motorcycles. Fancy custom ones.

He's never ridden a single mile. He's deathly afraid of riding them.

But he LOVES designing and building them.

So you're not alone.
Old 03-12-19, 01:39 PM
Bonzaii111

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im in a simular boat. Multiple bikes in different levels of made up and fixed up. I like rescueing old frames, and lifting parts off damaged bikes. But I gotta go test each new thing. Yesterday I did 40k to make sure I liked my new bar tape!
Old 03-12-19, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
During the winter months, I go around and ask people if I can do a tune up on their bikes. Not so much in the summer as there is too much yard work to cover
Old 03-15-19, 03:24 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
Apparently I have the builder gene.

As a tyke I was making "airplanes" from coat hangers and tissue paper.

Went to college for 4 years then took some aptitude tests that said I should be a craftsman. 3 more years of History grad school and I became a carpenter.
Carpenter, cabinet maker contractor, superintendent for 40 years and now I work on bikes all week for the Bike Exchange.

I do ride about 6 miles to and from the ymca 3 days a week to go swimming but my knees (and lots of other body parts ) are pretty worn out so no centuries for this boy (until I get the knee replacement one of these days soon) .

I really do like to dig through the pile of bikes at the Exchange for discarded and neglected gems and take them home for a make over, often including new paint and "custom" upgrades.