Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping Technique

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping Technique

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 07:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Tim,
Wanted to add that the generally shared values of helpfulness and exploring and discussing of all things bike on this forum is the reason I like coming here, not to mention the silly banter that goes on between the regulars.
I have learned so much here, and would like to think that I have helped others--helping and sharing has always been a priority for me, and I would hope that that comes across to others from my interactions with folks here.
I forget sometimes that some people don't come on here regularly and are not familiar with me or my often bad sense of humour, and I clearly didnt express myself properly.

on topic, like Lee, I finally figured out that putting my gloves, bandana, sunglasses and bike computer carefully in my helmet ALWAYS was the best way to avoid the wasted time of "where is this, where is that" in the morning....
not to mention always putting the same pannier in the same spot on my tent floor, helps with a sleepy morning head for not trying to find something

I would add again, all common sense stuff.
Old 04-08-19, 11:25 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm interested in hearing about technique in general from experienced bikepackers.

My specific interest is efficient setup in the evening and teardown in the morning. One challenge has been too much time spent packing up in the morning with a myriad of stuff sacks, dirty tent stakes, filtering water for the day and where did that darn bag with toothbrush go?

Obvious things like not putting items needed first all the way at the bottom of a saddle bag are learned early. I've also learned to pack the tent, rain fly and footprint into the stuff sack oriented so that the end to be staked out first is deployed first.

What else? Cooking efficiently? Filtration - as soon as you arrive or later? Drying out clothes? Packing saddle and bar bags when there is no place to lean the bike - remove the bags from the bike?

Anything at all to make things more time efficient would be helpful and I'd be open to suggestions about technique in general from experienced bikepackers.

-Tim-
Great questions, Tim. I've been a backpack guide and canoe guide, I've done many snowshoe and XC country trips and bike touring trips solo and with friends, and as others have noted from their own experience, I find it is important to establish a set routine. When I get to camp, everything is always done in the same order: get canoe/skis/bike/snowshoes/pack/etc in a safe place, pitch tent or hammock (set up sleeping system in same), tuck away/stow other belongings, gather wood or arrange for cooking with stove. After that, I figure out what the next chore is or how I need/want to while away my time. Breaking camp is basically everything done in reverse order.

From scores of canoe trips, packing in waterproof stuff bags has become my habit, and that has carried over to cycle touring (and it's why I'm fine with panniers that are not waterproof). I have specific bags for specific things. What I keep together makes sense, and I discovered that over time by paying attention to what wanted to be in the same bags (I know, seems like an odd way of putting it, but "figuring it out" in advance didn't seem to work). I also keep specific things out of bags and handy.

So, there's a process for how I do everything and there's a place for where everything goes, and the latter of those two really created its own kind of sense over time. If I consistently couldn't get something "right," or if I kept leaving something out or putting it in the wrong place, it meant I hadn't listened closely enough to where it needed to be put or how it fit into the process. Once process and place were established, I continued to follow it, and that's been very helpful. Short story, figure out through trial and error what works for you and then STICK WITH IT. The key, to me, is not what "makes sense," but "what works."

Last edited by revcp; 04-08-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 10:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm interested in hearing about technique in general from experienced bikepackers.

My specific interest is efficient setup in the evening and teardown in the morning. One challenge has been too much time spent packing up in the morning with a myriad of stuff sacks, dirty tent stakes, filtering water for the day and where did that darn bag with toothbrush go?

Obvious things like not putting items needed first all the way at the bottom of a saddle bag are learned early. I've also learned to pack the tent, rain fly and footprint into the stuff sack oriented so that the end to be staked out first is deployed first.
The first thing to remember is that bikepacking is a bit different from 4 bag touring set ups. You don’t have the same room nor is the configuration of the bags all that conducive to the same kind of efficient compartmentalizations as 4 bag toiuring is. Sometimes you have to put stuff in places where you don’t really want to to go because it just fits there and no where else. For example, I’d love for my cooking stuff to fit in one place. Unfortunately, the fuel canister, cup, stove head, and tea pot don’t fit in the same bag. And, since those are the heavier items I carry, I want them as low as possible. The result is that some of the stuff goes in the bottom of the saddle bag under clothes and some of it goes in the triangle bag. It’s not convenient but it’s the best I can do given the limitations of the equipment.

The order I use with the tent is to roll the foot print, tent, fly and then the poles from the end away from the door. I don’t worry about staking it done immediately as the tent is freestanding and I may want to move it before deciding the final location. I generally set up the tent and my sleeping arrangements before anything else.

What else? Cooking efficiently? Filtration - as soon as you arrive or later? Drying out clothes? Packing saddle and bar bags when there is no place to lean the bike - remove the bags from the bike?
I get water according to my need. If I’m out of water when I get to camp, I may get it first but I usually wait for that later. When bikepacking, especially far from “civilization”, I do freeze dry. It’s not the best but it beats carrying a bunch water in food around and clean up is easier. Freeze dry is pretty bad but some are better than others. Chili Mac from Backpacker Pantry is my favorite. Anything elaborate like Thai dishes is pretty bad.

In the mornings, I eat cold so that I don’t have to wash dishes before packing up. I have a cup of coffee with a couple of breakfast bars.

I use a Revelate Design harness for the front so the tent and sleeping bag stuffed in their own bags and then strapped on to the harness. If I don’t have anything to lean the bike against, I just hold the bike up as best I can. Taking the bags off, stuffing them, and then trying to put them on the bike is more awkward than stuffing equipment into the bags.

Good luck. You’ll work it out eventually.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-09-19, 05:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Today's tip:

Don't leave your tent drying for several days in your black widow-infested garage. (I suppose it could also have come back with us from Utah.)
Old 04-09-19, 05:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I also learned something else the hard way: Panniers on a fat rack are problematic on narrow single-track.
Old 04-10-19, 05:19 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 193 Posts
My tip of the day, assume that the local raccoons have mastered how to open an Ortlieb bag without needing to unclip the straps. Last week the damn things were able to unroll my pannier and get into my freeze dried spaghetti meal, made a mess of everything.
Oh, and always try to camp near a picnic table so you can lay out and organize all your stuff that's coated with freeze dried marinara powder going back into your panniers in the morning.
Old 04-10-19, 07:54 PM
djb

Originally Posted by robow
My tip of the day, assume that the local raccoons have mastered how to open an Ortlieb bag without needing to unclip the straps. Last week the damn things were able to unroll my pannier and get into my freeze dried spaghetti meal, made a mess of everything.
Oh, and always try to camp near a picnic table so you can lay out and organize all your stuff that's coated with freeze dried marinara powder going back into your panniers in the morning.
chuckle
little buggers (well, not so little)
Old 04-10-19, 08:03 PM
djb

and Tim, hope you are still reading.

for a bunch of years now, I use a couple of colour coded net bags that are very light, to keep smaller clothing items in and to stop the migration and being hard to find, socks or whatever.
Keep socks, underwear in a yellow bag
warm stuff, neckup, gloves, whatever in a blue one.

my civvie clothes are usually at the bottom of my clothes pannier, my extra riding kit , shorts, jersey, on top of civvies,

small dark stuff has a bad habit of getting lost in or under other stuff, so these separate bags really helped keeping track of stuff, and in the case of my "keep warm" stuff, its nice to just be able to reach in, grab the "blue" bag and get whatever if needed.
I even use these bags for my commuting, especially handy for the warm stuff as I ride in all kinds of temps, down to -10c or more, so not wasting time is nice if I need some overmitts or different mitt liners or whatever.
Handy too for keeping my wallet, cell phone, seat rain cover, glasses case etc in a yellow bag, again for saving time and not rooting around searching.
Old 04-11-19, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky! After all, they didn't gnaw or claw their way THROUGH the bags.
Old 04-11-19, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I mentioned this once before, but a few years ago one started to run away with one of my Ortlieb's even though it was empty. I was in NJ bear country and had put all my attractants in a bathroom. Best I can figure is that a very aromatic everything bagel I had carried to camp left a lingering smell. Fortunately, I hadn't fallen asleep yet and was able to get out of my tent and chase him off. I put the pannier in the bathroom with my other stuff.
Old 04-11-19, 11:37 AM
robow

Normally I always bring all food into my tent vestibule but had overlooked that one meal. I can't imagine how I could have forgotten about such a delicacy as freeze dried spaghetti awaiting me the next evening.
Old 04-11-19, 12:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Normally I always bring all food into my tent vestibule but had overlooked that one meal. I can't imagine how I could have forgotten about such a delicacy as freeze dried spaghetti awaiting me the next evening.
A good way to get a family of raccoons, or bears, to keep you company in the tent.
Old 04-11-19, 01:09 PM
robow

I'm more than willing to confront those sneaky little bastards face to face but I hate it when they're up to their Harry Houdini tricks while I sleep.
Old 04-13-19, 04:03 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I can really enjoy packing slowly in the morning, especially if the sun is beginning to warm me. It's the opposite of my work as a live-sound engineer where fast, effective, setting up and tearing down of gear is what we do.
If it's cold or raining, I get into "work-mode". Guess that puts me in the "compulsive perfectionist" and "slob" camps!
Old 04-13-19, 05:58 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Originally Posted by imi
I can really enjoy packing slowly in the morning, especially if the sun is beginning to warm me. It's the opposite of my work as a live-sound engineer where fast, effective, setting up and tearing down of gear is what we do.
If it's cold or raining, I get into "work-mode". Guess that puts me in the "compulsive perfectionist" and "slob" camps!
This is a great post. If we're on tour trying to set land speed records, on the road or in camp, we might be out there doing the wrong things for the wrong reasons.
Old 04-13-19, 06:11 AM
djb

Originally Posted by revcp
This is a great post. If we're on tour trying to set land speed records, on the road or in camp, we might be out there doing the wrong things for the wrong reasons.
there is certainly no "right" answer that's for sure.
I'm more laid back, and generally slow in the morning, so developing a better system to get my stuff organized helps, but I still prefer a relaxed pace of waking, eating, hitting the can, packing up--but within reason of course time wise.
Other people wake up, chew on some dry food and are out and ready to go in 30 mins, and maybe even ride all day until dark---but thats fine, to me the most important thing is to find a rhythm that works for you, as you say rev, in camp or on the road.
Old 04-13-19, 04:55 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
How can there be wrong reasons for a personal vacation?
Old 04-13-19, 05:54 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
How can there be wrong reasons for a personal vacation?
Fair enough.
Old 04-13-19, 07:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
I've always looked at bike camping the same as backpacking camping; consider it an 'extended rest stop', and only bring out what you need for that extended overnight stop.

I also like to minimize cooking - a cold meal with a hot drink is all I need in the evening. Cold meals can be cheese and crackers with fruit, salami slices, small cans of fruit, hard vegetables (carrots, onions, bell peppers) . . . the list is endless. I do stay away from those cook-in-the-bag freeze-dried meals - too spicy and loaded with about a month's worth of salt. If I'm on the road I usually stop at a restaurant and get a good hot meal at lunchtime. Sometimes its also nice to just start riding in the morning and have a hot meal at a restaurant after 10-20 miles.

FWIW: I'm pretty much a dedicated credit card tourist these days.
Old 04-14-19, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Did my years in the boy scouts in the 50's with Korean war surplus camping gear ,
backpacking in the California Sierras .. so when I finished my 4 years in the Navy and GI bill college
by the late 80s the camping gear tech was so much lighter..

combining that with my map reading skills And bike mechanics, I just had to go see other countries ..