Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1974) Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 05:21 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 04-25-19, 06:53 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
FLASHBACK! Oh man, I remember reading this article when it first came out! In southwestern Virginia in those years, the nearest bike shops were in Roanoke. My friend David had started the little boomlet of cycling in my circle with a Peugeot U08 which he was rapidly outgrowing. Then I cleaned up my department store West German Brownie 10 speed, then Steve kicked off the LeTour binge by purchasing a sky blue example. Lester followed suit with a lemon yellow LeTour, and finally David traded in his now-undersized U08 for a red LeTour. And since there were no more colors to pick in the LeTour line, I went to a different shop in Roanoke and bought a Batavus Tour de l'Europe.

We did the period upgrades as well. We all at some point took our wheels in to Dixon's and had the rims replaced with alloy Weinmanns - I think it was the cost of the rims plus $10. Dave and Steve replaced their stem shifters with downtube levers. I replaced the Simplex Prestige rear derailleur on my Batavus with an early Shimano 600 unit. We rode those bikes all over the Franklin County area, but the pinnacle ride was a three day tour of the Blue Ridge Parkway, going up from Ferrum to Mabry's Mill, then the second day riding to Roanoke Mountain (back when you could camp there!) and then returning home the third day.

All of this is to lead up to recently recovered photos (pictures or it didn't happen, right?) from July, 1976 - my apologies for the image quality, they were taken with a borrowed 110 Kodak and the prints were poorly stored and lost for 30 years -

LeTours as they were meant to be ridden! We're somewhere on the Parkway, with my outlier Batavus in the foreground, David's red bike out of the picture, and Lester hidden by the handlebar bag on his yellow machine, and Steve's blue bike in the background.

David with his red bike; Steve's blue bike right front; my Batavus in between.

I have so many memories of riding with my friends on their LeTours - thank you for the road test!
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 04-25-19, 10:00 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Thank you for the 110 Kodak photos and great story!
I haven't ridden in that area (yet), but you guys were movin' a lot of weight there!
This just begs for a reunion ride in a few years.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 04-25-19, 07:57 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
This is a great thread. I would like to hear more about the bicycle trip. As much as I liked bikes when I was younger, the notion of taking an overnight bike journey never occurred to me and my friends. Maybe that's because we came of age many years after the bike boom.
Old 04-25-19, 07:58 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I can't find any official Schwinn printed text (like in a catalog) that says the Le Tour was made with double butted tubing. That said, the Le Tour was the workhorse of the "lite weight" lineup for them. And I still contend that all the Schwinn Approved "branding" was more to hide the fact that the bicycle, parts, everything.. everything was made by someone besides Schwinn.
Old 04-25-19, 10:25 PM
NothEndReCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely....Interesting!
Old 04-26-19, 07:47 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I can't find any official Schwinn printed text (like in a catalog) that says the Le Tour was made with double butted tubing...
The '74 catalog page indicated "butted top and bottom tubes", however that was true for only the 21" and 23" frame sizes. The 25" size had straight-gauge tubes. There was more detail in the Oct. '73 Reporter where the bike was first introduced to dealers:

Old 04-27-19, 08:00 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
The '74 catalog page indicated "butted top and bottom tubes", however that was true for only the 21" and 23" frame sizes. The 25" size had straight-gauge tubes. There was more detail in the Oct. '73 Reporter where the bike was first introduced to dealers:

Good dig Metacortex... I humbly and more knowledgeably stand corrected. Butted high tensile frames are a bit of a unicorn in the bicycle corrals, are they not?