Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where are the "older" gravel riders?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Where are the "older" gravel riders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 04:52 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
62 here and enjoy gravel as well as road riding. The last few years Dirty Kanza 200 has had around 50 in the 60+ age class, and around 50% finish.
Old 05-06-19, 10:37 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
56 here. When I do road races/rides in my region it’s always been full geezer dominance; well fed boomers firmly rooted on the saddle of impeccable S-Works bikes with the bars too high. Top ten is tough but not unattainable when the fitness is there.

Then I went to my first gravel race near SLC a few weeks ago. No age groups and super affordable. Starting line was 150 young, skinny, fit riders in pro kits and bikes that looked business. Maybe a handful of older folks on mountain bikes. I cramped after 5 miles trying to hang with the main bunch, with 3 breakaways already established and 70 miles remaining.
Old 05-08-19, 03:21 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

For what its worth, Chas didnt call older roadies stupid or immature. Chas said what the industry was selling consumers 15 years ago was stupid and said that people have realized this(gotten smarter). By saying mature people understand that a wider tire is more comfortable and still fast also isnt an insult to those who are older and dont ride a wider tire, unless you work to make it an insult.
Wow, you said it better than I could have. I do think the industry can be faddish, and that irritates me sometimes (especially planned obsolescence, and the latest shiny new thing). But then again, it gives us choice and variety.
Old 05-09-19, 03:14 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
You may not realize how many of us older guys are out there... 'cause you young guys usually see us from the back. Don't sweat it. We've had years to train. You'll get there. ;-)
Old 05-09-19, 04:35 PM
chas58

Love it Zaskar!

My initial post was meant to say that older riders seemed to be the first to get it, that in many ways they were "smarter" I see lots of gravel rides around here with mature riders who have relegated their old road bike to the trainer. Its a good way to get out in nature without worrying too much about cars.

It seems that "mature" road bikers (40-60+) tend to gravitate to gravel because they realize that moderately large tires (30-40mm) don't have to be slower, compliance is a good thing - and why deal with traffic?
I see 20 somethings (and older) gravitate to gravel because they love mountain biking too much to get a pure road bike and the gravel genre gives them the versatility they need. Besides, the group rides and races are fun and less uptight compared to a crit.
I see 30-40 somethings gravitate to gravel genre because they want an all terrain bike they can ride from their front door - they just don't have as much time to drive to/from the trailhead when they have a new family
Old 05-10-19, 04:30 AM
David Scott

Bikes: Devinci Hatchet Carbon Rival 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
50 here. Took up cycling after quitting smoking back in August 2016. My brother races 'cross and he gave me an older Giant Escape as I wanted to get back into shape. Rode that for the rest of the summer and then dove in both feet the next year with first a Revolt and then an Anyroad. Riding on the road feels like 'exercise' whereas riding gravel is fun.
Old 05-10-19, 06:31 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
And the older rider may have more money to spend on bikes.
Old 05-10-19, 06:36 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
My initial post was meant to say that older riders seemed to be the first to get it, that in many ways they were "smarter"
I think your premise is flawed simply due to the fact that many folks "got it" (riding fat tired drop bar bikes in the dirt) decades ago. These "older riders" were 20, or 30 somethings back then...
Old 05-10-19, 07:36 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by sputniky
I think your premise is flawed simply due to the fact that many folks "got it" (riding fat tired drop bar bikes in the dirt) decades ago. These "older riders" were 20, or 30 somethings back then...
Exactly. You understand.

It does kind of shock me how many people can be in agreement, and still argue. We are all basically saying the same thing.

Either way, there are plenty of gravel riders in their 50's around here.

Last edited by chas58; 05-10-19 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 08:26 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
The funny thing is that lots of older riders have been riding gravel on road bikes for years. I've done a handful of rides in North Georgia connecting the "gaps" (well-known mountains/climbs) using FS roads on 23mm tires at 105 psi and LOVING it... because the gravel bike segment wasn't a trend yet.

But I'm not so old and untrainable that I don't prefer doing those rides on 40s at 50 psi ;-)
Old 05-10-19, 08:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
And the older rider may have more money to spend on bikes.
Yep.

I suspect there is a sub set of cyclist who has always been riding mixed surfaces but now the "identity" surrounding gravel biking seems to be closely associated with owneship and talk about new and expensive bikes designated for the genre. Many young people can't afford to plop a couple of K on that bike or see the value of being identified as a member of the genre where as older folk tend to have more disposable income along with increased risk aversion.

You also see a lot of older folk talking up the benefits of nordic walking sticks.

Yes you can ride gravel without the expensive bike but to fit in and enjoy the group experience there is that social pressure to buy up just like road cycling. FWIW most of the cyclists I see are older except for roadies which tend to have the addition of somewhat younger professional types.
Old 05-16-19, 01:32 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yep.

I suspect there is a sub set of cyclist who has always been riding mixed surfaces but now the "identity" surrounding gravel biking seems to be closely associated with owneship and talk about new and expensive bikes designated for the genre. Many young people can't afford to plop a couple of K on that bike or see the value of being identified as a member of the genre where as older folk tend to have more disposable income along with increased risk aversion.

You also see a lot of older folk talking up the benefits of nordic walking sticks.

Yes you can ride gravel without the expensive bike but to fit in and enjoy the group experience there is that social pressure to buy up just like road cycling. FWIW most of the cyclists I see are older except for roadies which tend to have the addition of somewhat younger professional types.
The older riders have gone through the drill of buying their first road bike, just to see if they like riding, then later, buying the one they really like to ride, the fit, the everything.

It stands to reason that the older gravel rider will skip the drill and go for the frameset and components, right to the top. No sense buying twice.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 05-16-19, 08:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I started cycling in 1995 after playing years of beer league softball which was fun but as we aged keeping a team together was hard. Started with MTB and would try to ride the most radical trails I could handle but wrecking didn’t hurt that bad then. Then I gave road riding a try and enjoyed that style as well. Gravel riding is the perfect mix for me. I get the feel of MTB and RDB and far less traffic and you can find gravel roads almost anywhere. I like the sturdier bike and the ability to go from road to gravel and back. I see cycling as a sport that can be done at every stage of life and usually the first form of transportation and freedom was learning to ride a bike as a kid.
Old 05-17-19, 05:53 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Interesting, thanks for the replies. Must just be the area I ride in then here and LA, Pasadena, etc. I do of course understand that "riding gravel" has been around as long as there have been bikes, and cross has been around for ages. But as I say, I'm one of the very few guys I see on a rigid drop bar bike on the dirt when I go out who has an AARP card Most appear to be in their 30's, maybe 40's.
Could also have more to do with my region. I was out the other day, coming back down to a trailhead and chatted with a geezer my age on a full sus MTB coming up, and he was poking fun at me for being one of those "tough guys" riding a bike like that off-road (we don't have gravel roads here, but gnarly rocky steep loose dirt). So there is a perception that it is harder on the body(all relative of course). I assured him that I would never even try to keep up with him on his rig on the trail!
I'm early 50s and have been riding a gravel bike lately as my main bike. My ancient hardtail MTB is in PDX, and I like the ride on my gravel bike better, anyway. The fire roads out of Pasadena are fine as gravel/dirt roads with the occasional portage over rockfalls. I've even gone down the Mt Wilson toll road a few times on carbon road bikes with 23 mm tires, and up Mt Lowe on the same bikes. I've ridden some worse-surfaced gravel roads up in Oregon recently. The trend the last few years for a lot of MTBers though seems to be to get a ride up with a heavy downhill bike and bomb the downhill, rather than riding up. A nice gravel bike will go up the fire roads a lot faster than most heavy mtbs, though the ride down will be a bit harder.
Old 05-17-19, 06:04 PM
K R

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Reno, 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I'll be 72 in Sept. DW and I both ride Diverge Comp's. Occasionally ride a paved path, often on a rails to trails path in WA, Idaho and OR. Haven't ridden the road bikes in over a year... gravel is way more fun! OK, we just added 27.5 MTB's to the stable, gotta keep movin' so we can keep movin'.
Likes For K R:
Old 05-18-19, 08:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm 55 and rode 60 miles gravel today.
Old 05-23-19, 01:53 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm not planning any serious MTB riding, but my 29er seems perfect for gravel. What little I have ridden remind sof when I didn't know any better. Growing up in the Flint Hills region of Kansas, near Topeka, all I knew was gravel and trails, on my old Sears Free Spirit ten speed...

56 now, and somehow that simpler time seems like it was pretty easy.

Last edited by zjrog; 05-23-19 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Finishing a thought...
Old 05-23-19, 02:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I'm 68, have signed up for a fairly crazy gravel ride in a month and just did the pretty civilized Cycle Oregon Gravel last weekend. I wasn't the oldest but in the minority.

I never sought out gravel in my earlier days, but my folks' house, from which I raced and trained my first year had 1/4 mile of dirt road that I rode on sewups. Several races had extended unpaved stretches. (I wasn't a gravel "whiz" but I always liked the race gravel because the pace slowed down and moving up was easy and a "freebie".)

I'll probably never get fully into gravel - too much time spent doing bike cleanup! And Oregon dust is such a bike parts killer. (All volcanic. Incredibly abrasive. My rim-braked road rims go 1 1/2 winters.) But it is fun and there is a lot of it around here. So it is another aspect of riding to add to my commute like rides (I'm retired but ride into town regularly) and road rides, both geared and fix gear.

A poster above mentioned not understanding drop bar gravel bikes. I've never mountain biked so my gravel is all on drop bars. I've been getting serious this past month and studying what works for me and what doesn't. And I have found I love riding the drops. The bike feels like it is on rails but is completely free to move sideways as needed. Like I am on railroad tracks but sometimes a switch has been thrown and the wheels change tracks. Not an issue at all. I love it. I went into last weekend tinking I would be convinced I slould put the interrupter brake levers on for hairy descents. Now, no way. The drops are just too good.

Ben
Old 05-23-19, 04:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What does older mean? I'm 41. Feel half my age most of the time. I never let the number be a reason to limit what I do in life.
Old 05-23-19, 04:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
What does older mean? I'm 41. Feel half my age most of the time. I never let the number be a reason to limit what I do in life.
The difference between 41 and half that age is much smaller than the different between 41 and the same number of years older. 41 yo's are youngsters.
Old 05-23-19, 05:40 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My post had nothing to do with slowing down with age or anything like that. I was simply observing that where I live and ride, the majority of people I see embracing gravel riding and gravel/adventure bikes are younger riders. Folks my age around here (50's and up) are usually on road bikes or mountain bikes. Obviously from the replies, that phenomenon is not the case in other regions.
Lots of factors of course, but I've come to conclusion that a big part of it is our terrain--we don't have gravel roads so to speak. We have pavement and then steep rocky dirt, which most people see as mountain bike territory (and rightfully so in many cases).
Old 05-23-19, 07:53 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't believe this for a second.

I still love to road bike at 55 and I'm not the oldest guy in my regular group by far.

Calling older roadies stupid and immature is very insulting.

-Tim-
+1
At 53, I can recognize plusses and minuses of both my gravel bike with its 47mm tires and my road bike with its 25mm tires. Both are FUN for different reasons.

I also recognize that even if science supports wider tires compared to what was pushed by the industry in the past, the gravel/wide tires thing is also becoming a big marketing push by the industry...

Last edited by fraba; 05-23-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 07:30 AM
chas58

I don't believe this for a second.

I still love to road bike at 55 and I'm not the oldest guy in my regular group by far.

Calling older roadies stupid and immature is very insulting.

-Tim-
I think all of us can agree on that!!!

The "super stiff" fad the industry was pushing has come and gone. The industry now realizes that a bike that does not beat up the rider is going to make the rider faster in the long run, regardless of discipline. Is this too a fad? We'll see. ;-)

(ok, one exception, our velodrome bikes are still super stiff).

Last edited by chas58; 05-24-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 04:15 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Lots of factors of course, but I've come to conclusion that a big part of it is our terrain--we don't have gravel roads so to speak. We have pavement and then steep rocky dirt, which most people see as mountain bike territory (and rightfully so in many cases).
Most fire roads in the San Gabriels are very much roads and gravel bikes do well on them.

I just came back from a 5 day gravel tour in Norcal that had about 30 people on it, and there were plenty of over-50 riders, though most were from the SF Bay area because that's where the organizer is from and that's where the shuttle returned to.
Old 06-01-19, 04:35 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
Most fire roads in the San Gabriels are very much roads and gravel bikes do well on them.
I hear ya. That's why once I got a gravel bike my mountain bike started collecting dust. Even though as I say the majority of riders I see out there on our fire roads are on mtb's, often full suspension at that, I think a gravel rig is perfect for this riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.