Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Managing your wellness as you age?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Managing your wellness as you age?

Old 05-16-19, 10:27 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I got the mold allergy sore throat. Took generic Sudafed that has ephedrine so I had to sign for it at Walmart. I said now I can make illegal substances she wasn’t amused. So once my head clears up I will have a riding advantage because I’m on dope.
I wouldn't worry about that (not that you really are) from the watered down Sudafed they sell these days.
Old 05-17-19, 12:38 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
They ask me for my Wellness card at the drug store and I tell them that nobody is here because they are well and I enjoy meeting all the unwell ladies while I wait for my pills.
Old 05-17-19, 12:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I got the mold allergy sore throat. Took generic Sudafed that has ephedrine so I had to sign for it at Walmart. I said now I can make illegal substances she wasn’t amused. So once my head clears up I will have a riding advantage because I’m on dope.
Yeah, it's been a rough allergy season in Texas, for months. Every day is a yellow, orange or red allergy alert on the weather apps.

Sudafed and the generic are pseudo-ephedrine. Hence the name.

The real old school ephedrine is in Primatene tablets and the Walgreens generic, mixed with guaifenesin, usually for asthma. It's less effective on sinus congestion. For some reason pseudo-ephedrine is more effective on sinus congestion.

Both are hard on the body. They increase heart rate and blood pressure. Try to avoid using them too often. While they're considered PEDs by sports regulatory bodies, any benefit is minimal. You can get the same boost from two or three cups of espresso.

For a couple of years I needed to buy boxes of those every month, when my asthma and sinus inhalers increased to $100. Now that my prescriptions are covered by insurance I don't need Sudafed as often.

Also bromelain worked well for me this winter as an anti-inflammatory for chronic sinus pain. It's just an enzyme derived from pineapple. Didn't help my joint inflammation but did with the sinuses. I need to order some more.
Old 05-17-19, 07:19 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
For me, any stimulant such as ephedrine, coffee, chocolate with caffeine, etc., causes my prostate to clamp up and I end up peeing blood. So, I won't be using them to increase my performance
Old 05-17-19, 01:17 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by gobicycling
For me, any stimulant such as ephedrine, coffee, chocolate with caffeine, etc., causes my prostate to clamp up and I end up peeing blood. So, I won't be using them to increase my performance
Wait, coffee was a positive the last time I checked? There has to be more more to this story than meets the eye. Not that I'm inquiring, however.
Old 05-17-19, 07:19 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Wait, coffee was a positive the last time I checked? There has to be more more to this story than meets the eye. Not that I'm inquiring, however.
Why must there be more to the story? I simply stated factually about ME, not about YOUR coffee use. I don't drink coffee for obvious and stated reasons, no matter what other benefits it may or may not have. And you drink all you like.

Lots of things are positive for some folks and negative for others. You find your own parameters and live with them. Wait until I tell you about Carrageenan!! (Which I won't)
Old 05-17-19, 08:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Why must there be more to the story? ...........................Wait until I tell you about Carrageenan!! (Which I won't)
Why???? The following taken from --- https://medium.com/@edithmcamellia/w...n-e9f56e3ed1c5

" ......It is believed by many that Tobacman used a number of scientifically questionable methods to achieve her predetermined outcomes. Other, non-biased researchers have been unable to replicate Tobacman’s results under controlled conditions. Instead, ongoing research has again and again reiterated that carrageenan is safe for use as an ingredient in food. As a result, respected toxicology experts and the FDA itself in a 2008 letter to Tobacman have openly refuted her anti-carrageenan claims, and regulatory agencies around the world affirm its safety and continue to approve its use in foods...... "

3 sides to everything .... so I've been told
Old 05-17-19, 08:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

Sleep - This I could work on.
I've made quite the discovery just recently.

I have been struggling with sore, red eyes especially first thing in the morning. And I've been struggling with waking up feeling like I've just cycled a century rather than sleeping.

I've tried different things ...
-- drops in my eyes when I wake up
-- no coffee after 5 pm
-- chamomile tea in the evening
-- putting on relaxing music late in the evening before bed and turning down the lights
-- reading something relaxing before I fall asleep
-- a sleep monitor that records what I do in the night ... maybe I do get up and ride a century!

The drops in the morning helped a bit, the relaxing techniques ensured I fell asleep within about 5 minutes, and the sleep monitor revealed I snore a little right at the beginning of the night but then seem to sleep all right.

The other night, about 10 days ago, I was dozing off and somewhere in between that wake and sleep state when I suddenly felt like my eyes weren't entirely closed. Then I got to wondering ... am I sleeping with my eyes slightly open? It is a thing. It does happen to some people.

One of the simplest solutions for that is to put drops in the eyes before bed and to wear an eye mask at night. So I went out and got a lightweight one. That night ... drops in the eyes, eye mask on ... and I had one of the better night's sleeps I've had in a while! Plus my eyes were less red and sore and I was less puffy around the eyes.

I've gone to a bigger, heavier eye mask and have slept with it two nights now. So far, I like it better.

Who would have thought that a simple eye mask would make such a difference!

But there is evidence that blocking out the light can help.
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/arti...-promote-sleep
Old 05-17-19, 08:56 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Why???? The following taken from --- https://medium.com/@edithmcamellia/w...n-e9f56e3ed1c5

" ......It is believed by many that Tobacman used a number of scientifically questionable methods to achieve her predetermined outcomes. Other, non-biased researchers have been unable to replicate Tobacman’s results under controlled conditions. Instead, ongoing research has again and again reiterated that carrageenan is safe for use as an ingredient in food. As a result, respected toxicology experts and the FDA itself in a 2008 letter to Tobacman have openly refuted her anti-carrageenan claims, and regulatory agencies around the world affirm its safety and continue to approve its use in foods...... "

3 sides to everything .... so I've been told
Tell that to my intestines. And don't be very close to me once I have ingested Carrageenan, (hopefully close to a toilet).

https://www.facebook.com/CarrageenanAllergyAwarenessNetwork/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARDQyRdmiocZodDAqeeYQ_J_ukXdTkePWkoXA9g_tU1-lFtvbR7dVRNZXv-pSoFDFX20X79gIs2MWXKY

My doc disagrees with you. They use it in the lab to create bowel irritation in animals.

Last edited by gobicycling; 05-17-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 10:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Still in my 50's here. But, I do a lot of bike commuting/errands/utility cycling. And the miles really add up. I'm a bit behind on my miles so far this year, with only a bit over 2100 miles, and it is already mid May.

I think the cycling hits the cardiac and legs, but I keep telling myself that I need to do some cross training (running?), and upper body exercise.
Old 05-18-19, 06:06 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Tell that to my intestines. And don't be very close to me once I have ingested Carrageenan, (hopefully close to a toilet).

https://www.facebook.com/Carrageenan...20X79gIs2MWXKY

My doc disagrees with you. They use it in the lab to create bowel irritation in animals.
Did you notice my last sentence? ---- 3 sides to everything .... so I've been told

My reply was not an attack on you or your condition rather just mentioning another view regarding Carrageenan. Just like there are individuals who can not eat or even be near peanuts or individuals with polymorphic light eruption, etc. Doesn't mean they are bad for everyone. Sorry if I upset you.
Old 05-18-19, 06:17 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Machka
I've made quite the discovery just recently.

I have been struggling with sore, red eyes especially first thing in the morning. And I've been struggling with waking up feeling like I've just cycled a century rather than sleeping.

I've tried different things ...
-- drops in my eyes when I wake up
-- no coffee after 5 pm
-- chamomile tea in the evening
-- putting on relaxing music late in the evening before bed and turning down the lights
-- reading something relaxing before I fall asleep
-- a sleep monitor that records what I do in the night ... maybe I do get up and ride a century!

The drops in the morning helped a bit, the relaxing techniques ensured I fell asleep within about 5 minutes, and the sleep monitor revealed I snore a little right at the beginning of the night but then seem to sleep all right.

The other night, about 10 days ago, I was dozing off and somewhere in between that wake and sleep state when I suddenly felt like my eyes weren't entirely closed. Then I got to wondering ... am I sleeping with my eyes slightly open? It is a thing. It does happen to some people.

One of the simplest solutions for that is to put drops in the eyes before bed and to wear an eye mask at night. So I went out and got a lightweight one. That night ... drops in the eyes, eye mask on ... and I had one of the better night's sleeps I've had in a while! Plus my eyes were less red and sore and I was less puffy around the eyes.

I've gone to a bigger, heavier eye mask and have slept with it two nights now. So far, I like it better.

Who would have thought that a simple eye mask would make such a difference!

But there is evidence that blocking out the light can help.
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/arti...-promote-sleep

Increasing research regarding any type of light during sleep causing issues including cancer .........

https://thesleepdoctor.com/2016/10/3...ight-exposure/
Old 05-18-19, 06:52 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Did you notice my last sentence? ---- 3 sides to everything .... so I've been told

My reply was not an attack on you or your condition rather just mentioning another view regarding Carrageenan. Just like there are individuals who can not eat or even be near peanuts or individuals with polymorphic light eruption, etc. Doesn't mean they are bad for everyone. Sorry if I upset you.
I never claimed they are bad for everyone - but I suspect they may be bad for a lot more folks who have digestive problems than is realized.

The lucrative Carrageenan industry spent a lot of dough to influence that 2008 report by the FDA. I know you are not naive enough to believe everything the FDA writes is totally unbiased, well done and truly factual.

My situation is that I have to check everything I buy from the grocery store (ice cream, anything frozen like a casserole, soups) and/or eat in a restaurant for Carrageenan (check labels - you will be amazed to find it in many, many products). We have a local restaurant that kindly gave me a list of their pies without Carrageenan - but they changed the recipes, didn't tell me, and I got caught this last week "with my pants down" so-to-speak. The attack is absolutely uncontrollable, quick and can happen any time from 15 minutes to about 30 minutes after ingestion. I have been in some terrible situations when it did occur. Suffice it to say that I am totally ready for a colonoscopy after finishing an attack. It irritates me that the industry 1) apparently bought off the FDA; and 2) debunks those of us with real problems. No joking or laughing matter for me.

Enough said.

Last edited by gobicycling; 05-18-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 08:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The best way I manage wellness at my age 80, is to ride about 25 miles every other day. If you set you rust.
Old 05-19-19, 10:58 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
60 yr old type 2 diabetic.

My doctor considers me his best diabetic patient. I do that by working out 5-6 times a week, split between cardio ( cycling, hiking, gym cardio) and weights.

I 'd tell you all I eat like a saint, but I watch my diet just well enough to keep my numbers in a range that makes my doctor happy. I eat mostly plant based during the week, but I have cheat days, mostly Saturday.
Old 05-19-19, 02:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
............I do that by working out 5-6 times a week, split between cardio ( cycling, hiking, gym cardio) and weights...............I eat mostly plant based during the week, but I have cheat days, mostly Saturday.
With all you do during the week a holiday is allowed. Hang in there, you're doing good.

Not a Type 2 or Pre Diabetic yet take 1,700 mg/day Metformin for prostate cancer plus a plant, fish diet but don't even stray on weekends or special occasions. Kills me when I pass a BBQ place.
Old 05-19-19, 03:52 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
With all you do during the week a holiday is allowed. Hang in there, you're doing good.

Not a Type 2 or Pre Diabetic yet take 1,700 mg/day Metformin for prostate cancer plus a plant, fish diet but don't even stray on weekends or special occasions. Kills me when I pass a BBQ place.
Thanks! Hope it all works out for you too.

I'm on 2,000 mgs of Metformin, and a couple of bp meds. I also leave the bbq places alone, but I struggle with pizza.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-19-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 04:29 PM
KraneXL

So no reward for being good the other 99 days out of 100? OK then. 😞
Old 05-19-19, 07:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Why must there be more to the story? I simply stated factually about ME, not about YOUR coffee use. I don't drink coffee for obvious and stated reasons, no matter what other benefits it may or may not have. And you drink all you like.

Lots of things are positive for some folks and negative for others. You find your own parameters and live with them. Wait until I tell you about Carrageenan!! (Which I won't)
Must mean your Ice Cream will flunk a dope test...carragenan

https://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-...s-carrageenan/

Ah heck, search for yourself. It's extracted from Irish moss. It's not digestible and probably not going to kill you, and it's found in non-dairy 'milk' drinks as well. Since cows convert whatever they chew on as well several times, who knows?