Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seeking opinions: ‘82 Peugeot PH12 vs Univega Sportour

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-21-19, 08:29 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

Dangerous I know, but I’m seeking opinions. First the details, then the background.

I’ve got a Univega Sportour 12 speed with 700x28 tires, good condition. It fits me well in my opinion, rides okay, no real problems with it, I just don’t ride it much. I prefer riding other bikes I have or have had, even ones that are a bit too tall. The Univega is decent, but just sort of whatever for me personally, for others it may be great.

Locally someone has an ‘82 Peugeot PH12 for sale. Maybe a bit high but looks like it would clean up well, and I think the size should work for me.

So, in anyone’s opinions, how would you compare these two bikes ride-wise or otherwise. And no need to spare my feelings so have at it. 8)

The background:
way back when, probably in the 1970’s, I had a neighbor who had a Peugeot road bike. I have no idea what model it was, all I know is that it was a lot lighter than the bike I had at the time, and the very few times I got to ride it a short distance it always made me want one. I believe it was a blue color, it wasn’t new at that time, I don’t recall if it had cottered cranks or not, I just know it felt fast. And ever since then, in the back of my mind, I knew I wanted one some day. If or when I do get a Peugeot I may think “hmmm, whatever”, or I might think “best bike ever” or I might wonder why I’d ever wanted an older French bike. But no matter, I still want one some day, and I’m not sure if the ‘82 PH12 will fulfill my Peugeot goals.

The Univega is on the way out in any case, I’m just using it as a comparison in this situation. So thanks in advance for any opinions, and if there is some other Peugeot that might match my memories better then let me know that as well. I don’t mind waiting for the right bike so if the PH12 ain’t the one then so be it. And who knows, I might wind up with a Motobecane or Olmo or something else that fits the niche in my dreambank.
Old 05-21-19, 08:43 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
This Peugeot?

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...chure_PH12.jpg
Old 05-21-19, 08:55 PM
treebound 

Yep, the 100 year anniversary model with flattened tubes. I read through some of the older threads on the site here about the model and have a fairly decent understanding of how it ranks on the generic Peugeot scale.

Side question: do Peugeots have their model name somewhere on the bike? If so it doesn’t seem to stand out well in any pics I’ve seen.
Old 05-21-19, 09:06 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
Yep, the 100 year anniversary model with flattened tubes. I read through some of the older threads on the site here about the model and have a fairly decent understanding of how it ranks on the generic Peugeot scale.

Side question: do Peugeots have their model name somewhere on the bike? If so it doesn’t seem to stand out well in any pics I’ve seen.
In that era, not really. There may be an indication in the serial number, but for the most part Peugeot differentiated its models by the parts only. The frames for bikes like the P4, P6, P8 all were the same but had more and better aluminum bits as the number went up. Things were rather similar earlier, but with chrome and paint used to differentiate the models. In your case, the PH12 has a different frame from the usual Carbolite framed bikes, so it will have some different characteristics, I expect. But Peugeot knew very well how to make frames that were inexpensive but rode well, so I would expect the PH12 to be nice, if not spectacular.
Old 05-21-19, 09:53 PM
treebound 

Thank you
Old 05-21-19, 10:55 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
For what it's worth, my one and only velo is an '84 Peugeot PH10LE that I bought new. It still looks and runs as good as the day it was new. It's a very comfortable ride, even at my age (64) and very responsive. I still have it because "It ain't broke" and have zero interest in replacing it. And just for the record, I'm still using the Helicomatic running gear it came with. Needless to say, my vote is for the Peugeot-hands-down, no questions asked.
Jon