Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Preventable Cancer Burden Associated with Poor Diet in the United States

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Preventable Cancer Burden Associated with Poor Diet in the United States

Old 05-25-19, 12:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Maybe this is just my experience, but adults don't really like sugar all that much.
I disagree with that.....Most adults won't eat or drink something unless it's loaded with added sugar. I guarantee you 100% that majority of people will choose donuts sprinkled with sugar over fresh fruits, and soda pop over tea.
Old 05-25-19, 12:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Okay are you saying cutting all sugars increases risk of cancer? Honest question.
Cutting all sugars out of your diet and eating none of any kind seems much more harmful than eating a balanced diet, even one including refined table sugar. But any reasonable person who is changing their diet to improve their health should be able to tell the difference between a strawberry and a Starburst. So it's not like you can't eat more healthy food and less unhealthy, so again the question doesn't really make sense to me.

At the end of the day, mangos aren't unhealthy because chocolate syrup exists.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-25-19, 12:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I disagree with that.....Most adults won't eat or drink something unless it's loaded with added sugar. I guarantee you 100% that majority of people will choose donuts sprinkled with sugar over fresh fruits, and soda pop over tea.
That hasn't been my experience, of myself or the people I hang out with. I'll admit donuts go pretty quick in corporate lunch rooms all over the world.

Donuts have a really high fat content. Like I said earlier, it seems to be a mix of fat plus sugar (or fat plus salt) that gets people. That's why I asked about pixie sticks.
Old 05-25-19, 01:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the connection. High fructose corn syrup isn't on the list of things that you should be eating to lower your cancer risk. Nobody has ever told new they're drinking more soda to get healthy.

Maybe this is just my experience, but adults don't really like sugar all that much. When was the last time you saw someone in their 30s eat a bag of pixie sticks? Most of what people over eat is fat with just the right amount of sugar added, most of the calories in a chocolate bar come from fat not sugar, same with iced cream. And that's perfectly fine in moderation. But we're talking about the importance of fruits and vegetables.

I don't know what to say about soda, I don't drink it, find it unpalatable. I'm about to leave to hike Si and Tenerife, I'm going to leave 70 oz of Nuun water in my car for the drive home. Vacuum insulated water bottles are great!
Has this discussion really gone that far off the rails? Of course one shouldn't drink soda. None at all is best. Balanced diet of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruit, olive oil, fish, etc. is what's wanted and what reduces cancer risk. I put sugar on my cereal, honey in my smoothies, and drink maltodextrin on the bike. Off the bike, I'm a natural foods nut.

Somehow the anti-fructose poster took the whole thing off into the weeds.
Old 05-25-19, 01:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
My granny said balance and moderation I can’t argue with that she made it to 100. With full faculties, she may have been just lucky. I now worry about health more than ever.
Old 05-25-19, 02:41 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Has this discussion really gone that far off the rails? Of course one shouldn't drink soda. None at all is best. Balanced diet of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruit, olive oil, fish, etc. is what's wanted and what reduces cancer risk..
I would agree with this if you remove fruit and replace it with red meat and high fat dairy products.
Old 05-25-19, 03:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
I would agree with this if you remove fruit and replace it with red meat and high fat dairy products.
Research is proving that red meat and high fat dairy products AND SUGARS, actually meat and dairy in general, increases the development of PROSTATE CANCER for those unfortunate guys such as myself.
Old 05-25-19, 10:55 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts

You should still consume vegetables, just not sweet or starchy veges and stay away from grains and sugar. Sugar means fruit is off the list, maybe an apple or two per week. And we know sugar feeds cancer cells, so in the context of diet and cancer it should be the first thing to go.
Uhhh. How to put this...
While technically you're partially right, the motivation of the bolded part is completely wrong.

Firstly, yes, cancer cells get their energy from glucose, namely blood glucose. What else would they eat? Secondly, eliminating the food source from cancer cells would mean the imminent death of the patient as that would mean removing blood glucose. You can't live without it and you can't get rid of blood glucose via not eating carbs (except if you're diabetic or something).

Saying cancer is affected by carbs in a diet is the equivalent of saying cancer is affected by how much you breathe since oxygen feeds cancer cells (it really does).

Also for an otherwise healthy person, carbs in a balanced diet aren't going to spike blood sugars significantly (ie. not spike them above the completely normal 6 or 7 mmol/l range which you probably get from doing HIIT too. Also as far as I'm aware, spikes in blood glucose won't affect cancer growth.

It's one of those myths again, like meat causing acidity in the body etc.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-26-19, 05:09 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
...............Saying cancer is affected by carbs in a diet is the equivalent of saying cancer is affected by how much you breathe since oxygen feeds cancer cells (it really does).........
The use of Metformin with its ability to reduce carb digestion is the primary reason for it being a protocol medication in the treatment of my PCa (prostate cancer).
Old 05-26-19, 05:27 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
The use of Metformin with its ability to reduce carb digestion is the primary reason for it being a protocol medication in the treatment of my PCa (prostate cancer).
That doesn't relate to diet though. Metformin has some interesting functional mechanisms which have an effect on glucose metabolism but it's not in fact the glucose moderating effect of metforming which makes it a promising anti cancer drug. It has more to do with it's intra cellural mechanisms which also affect cancer cells.

I did look into cancer and metabolism and all in all it's a very interesting subject. However the best way to combat it would be with a healthy balanced diet which has been described in the OP. Going low carb and adding protein such as red meat and dairy does not functionally lower blood glucose (for an otherwise healthy person anyways) but it easily increases protein intake which in turn increases amino acid concentrations in the blood stream. The amino acid glutamine is another fuel source which cancer cells use readily so in some types of cancer a high protein or high animal product diet can actually have an adverse effect.

There is some research in general resource reduction as a way to inhibit cancer growth. This does not mean fasting as that would be a very bad idea indeed. In general cancer patients should do everything in their power to stay strong and especially maintain muscle volume. However a resource scarcity in the body significant for the growth of cancer cells can apparently be achieved via HIIT. But as far as I've gathered it still requires more research for a conclusive consensus on the issue.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-26-19, 06:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

And we know sugar feeds cancer cells, so in the context of diet and cancer it should be the first thing to go.
Sugar doesn't grow cancer cells...It's IGF-1 hormone that promotes the growth of all cells in the human body including cancer cells. Animal protein is what promotes and increases IGF-1 hormones the most. Meat and dairy is great for growing muscle and getting big but the trade-off is that it also increases the risk of cancer.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-26-19, 10:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well it looks like we just covered FOOD as a cancer catalyst. Therefore, the solution is not to eat?

Seriously, intermittent fasting (IF) has been noted as being beneficial to the reduction of the formation and growth of cancers.
Old 05-26-19, 11:07 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Well it looks like we just covered FOOD as a cancer catalyst. Therefore, the solution is not to eat?
Nobody said to stop eating, what's being said is that certain foods are healthier than others. Some foods which have risk factors can still be eaten but they should be eaten in smaller amounts and less frequently. Moderation and portion control is the key. Any diet system which completely excludes certain foods is just a fad diet and should be avoided.
Old 05-26-19, 11:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Are you against seat belts?
Old 05-26-19, 11:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by KraneXL
How do you get from it's dangerous to not have certain foods on your diet to you shouldn't eat?
Old 05-26-19, 11:56 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Nobody said to stop eating, what's being said is that certain foods are healthier than others. Some foods which have risk factors can still be eaten but they should be eaten in smaller amounts and less frequently. Moderation and portion control is the key. Any diet system which completely excludes certain foods is just a fad diet and should be avoided.
How do you get from it's dangerous to not have certain foods on your diet to you shouldn't eat?
You did read my entire post?
Old 05-26-19, 10:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Your entire post was a commercial for fasting, which you claim has vague health properties.

That doesn't help me understand what thought process takes a person from "it's important to get whole wheat, fruits and vegetables, diary, and unprocessed lean meat" to "nobody should eat anything."
Likes For Seattle Forrest: