Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Information on the Brooks B-17 Saddle

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-09-19, 08:21 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I was looking at the B-17 advertisement and saw, from the bottom view, that there are a series of holes and laces that appear to offer adjustment for width and a bolt at the nose that appears to allow length adjustment? If I am seeing this correctly, how much adjustment do you actually have over the size/shape of the saddle? In theory it looks very customizable but I have read that the leather is very stiff and takes many miles to "adjust" to the riders personal shape. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Frank.
Old 06-09-19, 10:37 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I was looking at the B-17 advertisement and saw, from the bottom view, that there are a series of holes and laces that appear to offer adjustment for width and a bolt at the nose that appears to allow length adjustment? If I am seeing this correctly, how much adjustment do you actually have over the size/shape of the saddle? In theory it looks very customizable but I have read that the leather is very stiff and takes many miles to "adjust" to the riders personal shape. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Frank.
That bolt is to maintain the desired tension in the leather. Technically it does change the length but it's a miniscule change. Usually one doesn't touch that adjustment until after a number of years of use and the leather is sagging.

I haven't used a Brooks with holes/laces but I think that's another way to affect that sag/stiffness of the saddle.
Old 06-09-19, 10:49 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That bolt is to maintain the desired tension in the leather. Technically it does change the length but it's a miniscule change. Usually one doesn't touch that adjustment until after a number of years of use and the leather is sagging.

I haven't used a Brooks with holes/laces but I think that's another way to affect that sag/stiffness of the saddle.
Thank you. I appreciate you input.
Frank.
Old 06-09-19, 10:54 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Frank.
Not really. As someone else said, maybe after many years, you can turn the bolt. When a Brooks is new, the leather is very hard. You treat the leather with a small amount of proofhide. But in practice, you mostly break in a Brooks by riding it. The give of the leather is pretty subtle, but it is real. My Brooks is 7 years old and while it doesn't look new, it is still fairly hard. That said, though I am an avid rider, I am a recreational rider. That means my bike doesn't side out in the elements all that much, and even in season, I am only riding maybe 3 times per week. I try not to let the saddle get wet, which means putting a plastic bag over it when it is raining.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 06-09-19, 05:42 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I have used Brooks saddles for many years, and the ones with holes in the base on either side of the leather have been an option, but not for me, although I think I do have one on either on one of my bikes or Machka's.

They are intended to compensate, I think, for extensive weight on the saddle which pushes the top down and therefore the bottoms out so they start to irritate the inside of the thighs and they pass of the edges. Adjustment of the end-of-saddle bolt system can compensate for some of the slacking.

I think a thin but strong cord (I think maybe fishing line as in heavy duty stuff) can be used to tie the sides together underneath so they can be brought back from irritating the thighs (or wearing out pants/shorts). The cord does need to be threaded so that any ties are on the inside the saddle.
Likes For Rowan:
Old 06-09-19, 09:18 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The holes and laces are present on the B17 Imperial. It's the one with the slit on the top. The B17 standard does not have holes or laces. The bolt is on all B17's, and as mentioned above already does not require tensioning until down the road a long way.

I run a B17 Imperial on my commuter, and a Brooks Flyer Imperial on my touring rig. The Flyer is the one with the springs, and I can highly recommend it if you don't mind the extra weight.

Edit: BTW I highly recommend the B17 also. But it's your butt!

Last edited by timdow; 06-09-19 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 09:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I was looking at the B-17 advertisemen...
Brooks seems to have the largest advertising budget, but there are plenty of other tensioned leather saddles on the market in 2019, with various design subtleties and features at different price points.

Berthoud - France
Brooks - UK
Gyes (Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fyxation, Lekker, Origin8, Papillionaire, Shinola, Spa, Torelli, Velo Orange, Zimbale, etc.) - Taiwan
Ideale - France
Lepper - Netherlands
Nasiruddin (Persons) - India
Rivet - AFAIK manufactured in Taiwan by Gyes but to their own proprietary designs
Sella Italia - Italy
Selle Anatomica - USA
Selle Monte Grappa - Italy
Tabor - Portugal
Likes For tcs: