Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 06-24-19, 04:05 PM
  #13376  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 1,773

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s View Post
My rescue of the day, yard sale find, and the first Centurion I've run across for sale, so I paid the price. I have no idea as to the year or model as I'm wholly unfamiliar with the brand. I poked around the internet earlier and seems like pink was a color option beginning in 1986, but the 1986 catalog doesn't show any bike models for that year that came with a "Shimano 105" component group set.

Rusty, very rusty. Lots and lots of frame rust. Sticker from a long gone LBS on the seat post tube indicates the bike is of a local origin, but the rust tells me this one ventured out to the coast at some point, nearly drowned in seawater, and came back with a unhealthy dose of salt.

Person I bought it from claimed she was the second owner, and that when it was given to her three years ago it had been sitting outdoors for untold years. Story went that she took it to a LBS and they overhauled it and got it usable again.... I hate to even think what it had looked like before that! So appears it got new tires, tubes, cables, seatpost tightening screw, brake pads, and serious cleaning, and lubed during the indicated three years ago LBS overhaul. But was told she rode it a couple times, decided she really didn't like how it felt riding it, and it has been in her garage ever since... which was rather obvious considering the vast quantity of cob webs with dead bugs and live spiders that were covering it... seriously, does no one clean stuff they put out at their yard sales anymore? Cobwebs are one thing, but this bike literally had live spiders crawling all over it! Needless to say, I feel the condition of the frame is a bit iffy, like yeah, it got cleaned three years back, but the LBS didn't attempt to do anything to remove the rust. I kinda felt bad for the lady I bought it from as this bike is a 21" frame, and she was maybe all of 5'6", and this seat post is jacked up to a height I'm okay with at a bit over six feet tall.





Not just a centurion but an Ironman! check out their own special thread here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aint-jobs.html
ryansu is offline  
Likes For ryansu:
Old 06-24-19, 05:43 PM
  #13377  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts


This poor thing was fixed.



Not that I needed another project.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 06-24-19, 08:23 PM
  #13378  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post


This poor thing was fixed.



Not that I needed another project.
That looks like my size and color...
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 06-26-19, 06:50 AM
  #13379  
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within
 
Standalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Deal of the Day






Not C and V but suitable to my C and V tastes

Last edited by Standalone; 06-26-19 at 06:55 AM.
Standalone is offline  
Old 06-26-19, 01:03 PM
  #13380  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
This just screams "drop-bar MTB conversion" to me
SeanBikes is offline  
Likes For SeanBikes:
Old 06-26-19, 02:20 PM
  #13381  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 1,773

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
I saved it from lingering on CL, 1993 Rock hopper Comp, it was missing a drive side crank bolt (replaced out of parts bin) and only 3 of 7 gears work -3x3 -but I am hoping to bring them all back. Didn't really need it but thought it might be a fun bullet proof commuter project and or late breaking Clunker challenge Part Deux bike. Full Deore LX group down to the hubs

ryansu is offline  
Likes For ryansu:
Old 06-26-19, 03:43 PM
  #13382  
yobuttin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man, I should have dumpster dived when I lived in DC. Probably a goldmine compared to where I live now.
yobuttin is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 10:07 AM
  #13383  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu View Post

Same as my last comment!

I sure wish the dumpsters near me were this well populated!
SeanBikes is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 11:58 AM
  #13384  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes View Post
Another cheap find... not the best quality, but $25 can't lie!

1974 Raleigh Record Ltd.

Lots of rusty and grimy parts to clean, but should be a quick fix!
Finished restoring this one a while back but forgot to post progress. Here it is!


1974 Raleigh Record Ltd. (drive side)

Wasn't as nice of a haul as the 'before' picture made it out to be... Most of the moving parts were in pretty rough shape; lots of grinding bearings and what-not. Definitely wasn't ride-able in the state I found it. So I did a full clean and service on it (bottom bracket, hubs, headset, drivetrain, new cables), trued the wheels, put in new tubes and updated the tires with some 32 mm (for that silky smooth ride quality). Put on some new brake levers that allowed me to hide the cables under red/black camo bar tape and give it a bit of character. Final touch (which has become a bit of a signature for me) was a laser-etched vinyl head tube shield decal that a friend of mine made for me.


1974 Raleigh Record Ltd. (front)

All in all, a very easy and enjoyable restoration to give it some new life!
SeanBikes is offline  
Likes For SeanBikes:
Old 06-27-19, 01:30 PM
  #13385  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
Thatís a big jump up from where it started! Nice machine.
Thanks!

Now I've just got to sell it... What would you pay?
SeanBikes is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 07:06 PM
  #13386  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 7,269

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I don’t sell or flip tho’ I should so I am not a good sounding board. I do not know your market but... around here rideable bikes start at around $100 and fall from there.

Great job on giving a bike a second run!
3speedslow is offline  
Old 06-28-19, 12:37 PM
  #13387  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,062

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 73 Times in 56 Posts
This way-too-big-for-me, but priced-too-low-to-leave-behind Team Fuji followed me home from a thrift store today. Serial number KD5, so April '85?
Obviously been setting in a shed or outside, definitely weathered. Seatpost is stuck (working on that), everything else came apart nicely. There were some parts on it that I wanted for future projects, the rest is gonna be either sold (would make a good beater project for someone tall), or donated to the local bike thrift store.

__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
hazetguy is online now  
Old 06-29-19, 12:44 AM
  #13388  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Dang, it'll probably be gone by the time I can get there.

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...922795912.html

Vintage Peugeot 3-speed - $30 (Eagle Heights/Shorewood Hills)


I don't know the model of this bike. The previous owner brought it back from Germany many years ago. This specific model was not sold in the U.S. It seems like a 3-speed version of the PE41 from the early 1970's. The internal hub is Sachs. I used to commute on this bike, but it's been sitting a couple years now. The back tire has a slow leak, needs a patch or tube. Tires are a little old now. But when I put air in the tires today, I could ride it and everything still works. Front rim is original; back was replaced. Seat post and seat not original. I do not have the front light nor generator that powered it.
madpogue is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 07:43 AM
  #13389  
2cam16
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,600

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Dang, it'll probably be gone by the time I can get there.

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...922795912.html

Vintage Peugeot 3-speed - $30 (Eagle Heights/Shorewood Hills)


I don't know the model of this bike. The previous owner brought it back from Germany many years ago. This specific model was not sold in the U.S. It seems like a 3-speed version of the PE41 from the early 1970's. The internal hub is Sachs. I used to commute on this bike, but it's been sitting a couple years now. The back tire has a slow leak, needs a patch or tube. Tires are a little old now. But when I put air in the tires today, I could ride it and everything still works. Front rim is original; back was replaced. Seat post and seat not original. I do not have the front light nor generator that powered it.
So I assume you got it then? Or did you mean to post this in the CL/EBay Finds thread?
2cam16 is online now  
Old 06-29-19, 09:21 AM
  #13390  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
So I assume you got it then? Or did you mean to post this in the CL/EBay Finds thread?
Yep, wrong thread - sorry. But stay tuned.....

Edit - so I picked it up. Needs a lot of work, but nothing is downright broken. PO actually serviced the Sachs himself, so it's working fresh. Rest of it's gonna be a long work in process.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-29-19 at 06:40 PM.
madpogue is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 06:59 PM
  #13391  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 178

Bikes: Presently riding: '97 FONDRIEST X STATUS, 85/86 BATAVUS Criterium; 69/70 RALEIGH Sports; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
GT "SATURN" Team frame set

Actual Saturn team bike. I don't know if the frame design was unique to the pro team or also produced for retail sales. I'd assume the sizing is custom made for the rider (in this case Brian Walton). Frame 1/2 covered in grease (it was dirtier), loose bag of dirty sprockets, no rear wheel, and a horrendously horrible front wheel. Full Dura-Ace though, in all it's greasy glory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190630_201733~2.jpg (976.2 KB, 624 views)
HPL is offline  
Likes For HPL:
Old 07-02-19, 11:44 AM
  #13392  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 178

Bikes: Presently riding: '97 FONDRIEST X STATUS, 85/86 BATAVUS Criterium; 69/70 RALEIGH Sports; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Old 3ttt bar and stem sets

From the Co-Op junk bin; 3ttt Record Superleggero bar and stem, 3ttt Touriste bar and stem. Record stem amazingly has decent original decals. $15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190702_130525.jpg (554.6 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190702_130744.jpg (492.8 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190702_130329.jpg (545.7 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190702_130357.jpg (618.7 KB, 549 views)
HPL is offline  
Old 07-02-19, 12:15 PM
  #13393  
shelgame
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pulled this of the neighbors trash pile before the scrappers could get it...



Now, I'm going to re-paint it and assemble it with some parts I've got for my nephew to take to college in the fall.
shelgame is offline  
Old 07-02-19, 04:22 PM
  #13394  
fleslider
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,273

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s View Post
My rescue of the day, yard sale find, and the first Centurion I've run across for sale, so I paid the price. I have no idea as to the year or model as I'm wholly unfamiliar with the brand. I poked around the internet earlier and seems like pink was a color option beginning in 1986, but the 1986 catalog doesn't show any bike models for that year that came with a "Shimano 105" component group set.

Rusty, very rusty. Lots and lots of frame rust. Sticker from a long gone LBS on the seat post tube indicates the bike is of a local origin, but the rust tells me this one ventured out to the coast at some point, nearly drowned in seawater, and came back with a unhealthy dose of salt.

Person I bought it from claimed she was the second owner, and that when it was given to her three years ago it had been sitting outdoors for untold years. Story went that she took it to a LBS and they overhauled it and got it usable again.... I hate to even think what it had looked like before that! So appears it got new tires, tubes, cables, seatpost tightening screw, brake pads, and serious cleaning, and lubed during the indicated three years ago LBS overhaul. But was told she rode it a couple times, decided she really didn't like how it felt riding it, and it has been in her garage ever since... which was rather obvious considering the vast quantity of cob webs with dead bugs and live spiders that were covering it... seriously, does no one clean stuff they put out at their yard sales anymore? Cobwebs are one thing, but this bike literally had live spiders crawling all over it! Needless to say, I feel the condition of the frame is a bit iffy, like yeah, it got cleaned three years back, but the LBS didn't attempt to do anything to remove the rust. I kinda felt bad for the lady I bought it from as this bike is a 21" frame, and she was maybe all of 5'6", and this seat post is jacked up to a height I'm okay with at a bit over six feet tall.





FWIW, its a 1987 Expert commonly around here called the "Miami Vice" paint job. they are nice bikes

you can see the Expert Ironmans over at Vintage-Centurion

Centurion Ironman Expert (1987-1989)
fleslider is online now  
Old 07-02-19, 04:59 PM
  #13395  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,255

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
FWIW, its a 1987 Expert commonly around here called the "Miami Vice" paint job. they are nice bikes

you can see the Expert Ironmans over at Vintage-Centurion

Centurion Ironman Expert (1987-1989)
Great find this one looks to have the much sought after nice late 80's Shimano levers with push on the lever quick release and white hood tha look like they will clean up nice.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 07-02-19, 06:47 PM
  #13396  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1985 Bianchi Bici II

Next project will be a replacement for my GF's stolen bike. Picked this up for cheap, lots of cleaning and some fresh parts and it will be running like new!

SeanBikes is offline  
Old 07-02-19, 08:27 PM
  #13397  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,255

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A quick follow up to some some previous posts found really nice front wheel with nice tire to match my already saved Hardrock and DA wheel. So here is my all saved upgraded Hardrock all saved rescued parts except the the new chain.



Last edited by zukahn1; 07-02-19 at 08:56 PM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 06:12 AM
  #13398  
jdawginsc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 140

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have absolutely no luck at the dumps, or the thrift stores. Must be the area. Mostly Walmart trash.
jdawginsc is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 01:34 PM
  #13399  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I'm speechless
Mr. 66 is offline  
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-04-19, 09:07 AM
  #13400  
SeanBikes
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Update: 1985 Bianchi Bici II

She's all cleaned up and ready for some new parts!



It was a lot grimier than I thought in the bottom bracket and headset, but they're running like butter now. Unfortunately there's some paint missing, but it gives it that you-don't-want- to-steal-me kind of look. Building this up for a friend (whose last bike was stolen...) and she doesn't like drop bars, so she's ordered some new bull-horns that are on their way. I threw these ones on here just to see how it would look; not a big fan of their slanted shape or the length of the horns though. Probably going to get some nice blue handlebar tape and cable housings on it to help those decals pop.

I'm having trouble removing the rear cassette to replace the missing spoke. I've already destroyed one remover tool... I don't have a bench vise, so I can't go that route... Any tips?

SeanBikes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.