Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Trying to get back in the game questions

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 08-22-06, 06:42 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, after 11 years of no cycling and 100+Lb of weight gain, I have decided to get back into cycling. I love the sport, but more so I love cycling as a hobby as I never did it competitively. I used to average about 16-19 MPH and about 250 miles/week when I put the bike in the garage the last time. Now, I am sure I could get a heart attach just pumping the tires back up

Since I have been out for so long, I tried to do some searches online and read a few magazines to see the changes. We've come a long way for sure from my riding days. Many things have changed drastically and some have remained so much the same it is funny. I do have a few questions though. Some relevant to the sport and maybe some not so much:

1. Litespeed titanium bikes had just come out and was the ultimate. Whatever happened to them?

2. The Zipp and Softride carbon TT/tri bikes were the rage too. Where did they go?

3. Prices and selections of shoes have changed a lot. Where can one buy online nice and colorfull bike shorts like the ones used by the pro teams? Performance used to carry them back when they were a catalog only company. My god, I can't believe I am 36 and sound like a grandpa talking about the days before the intenet ruled!!

4. What are good road tires these days? I used to use the specialized and Continental brand back then. Can you recommend a very good tire?

5. What are the better online stores for bike related items like clothing, parts, etc.?

6. Do all the hard core road cyclist still talk trash about the tri guys and their aerobars?

7. How come all the cycling shoes I see are boring black or gray? What happened to the nicely colored shoes like Sidi and Carnac?

8. Seems most high bikes I see at the local shops are a combo of carbon fiber and aluminum? They used to be either one or the other. Why the combo now?

Thanks,
dgasmd
PS: forgive me for the seemingly newbie questions.
Old 08-22-06, 07:04 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
1. Litespeed titanium bikes had just come out and was the ultimate. Whatever happened to them?
Still going strong, and still expensive! www.litespeed.com

2. The Zipp and Softride carbon TT/tri bikes were the rage too. Where did they go?
UCI ruling banned Beam bikes - so only could still be used for triathlons. Large loss of the market, plus carbon aero frames now released offering a similar ride.

3. Prices and selections of shoes have changed a lot. Where can one buy online nice and colorfull bike shorts like the ones used by the pro teams? Performance used to carry them back when they were a catalog only company. My god, I can't believe I am 36 and sound like a grandpa talking about the days before the intenet ruled!!
Team gear available from places like www.probikekit.com

4. What are good road tires these days? I used to use the specialized and Continental brand back then. Can you recommend a very good tire?
Both still good. Also Vittoria and many others now in the market.

5. What are the better online stores for bike related items like clothing, parts, etc.?
Probikekit again. Also had good experiences with www.wisecyclebuys.com

6. Do all the hard core road cyclist still talk trash about the tri guys and their aerobars?
Some things have definitely not changed...

7. How come all the cycling shoes I see are boring black or gray? What happened to the nicely colored shoes like Sidi and Carnac?
Still available, just need to look around. Though fortunately the bright flouro colours of the 80's are long gone

8. Seems most high bikes I see at the local shops are a combo of carbon fiber and aluminum? They used to be either one or the other. Why the combo now?
Carbon rear triangle on an aluminium frame is meant to soften the harsh ride that aluminium can offer. Same with using a carbon seat post on an all aluminium frame or carbon fork... and just for marketing purposes.
Old 08-23-06, 12:32 PM
Jaybird
AKA: Tri-Dummy

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Transition Elite, 2004 GT Avalanche MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Dalai answered all of your questions! There are a ton of websites out there. I use:
www.nytro.com
www.nashbar.com
www.all3sports.com
www.trizilla.com

the list goes on..and on..and on....
Old 08-24-06, 07:25 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for al the replies and links. While reading in this forum, I just learned a new term: "Clydesdale". I knew we were bane in this hobby, but this brings it to a whole new level............. I guess that makes me a clydesdale ++++

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-06, 07:51 AM
XC99TF00
5AM ride again? Damn...

Bikes: '98 Softride Powercurve Mountain Bike - LX and XT; '04 Softride Solo Road Bike - Campy Veloce; Late 70's Richard Sachs Frame with old Campy - Yet to be rebuilt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalai

UCI ruling banned Beam bikes - so only could still be used for triathlons. Large loss of the market, plus carbon aero frames now released offering a similar ride.
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but that's only partially true... (I ride softrides, so I know where they are banned) They are indeed banned by UCI ruling, however, the UCI only has ruling over a select few races in the US, for example Tour de Georgia, and Tour of California. For 95% (guess) of all road races in the US, a beam bike is allowed, since they are predominantly USCF run or sponsored events. And the USCF does not (or had not as of this summer) banned beam bikes. I rode my softride solo in a road race and noone had any qualms about it, other than the strange looks I got from people.
Old 08-24-06, 10:11 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really should check out the Road forum. There are lots and lots of threads in there discussing all of your questions.
Old 08-24-06, 10:48 AM
Jstyle
Go big or go home

Bikes: Cannondale Ironman 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another good site that I like is www.trisports.com
Old 08-24-06, 06:50 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XC99TF00
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but that's only partially true... (I ride softrides, so I know where they are banned) They are indeed banned by UCI ruling, however, the UCI only has ruling over a select few races in the US, for example Tour de Georgia, and Tour of California. For 95% (guess) of all road races in the US, a beam bike is allowed, since they are predominantly USCF run or sponsored events. And the USCF does not (or had not as of this summer) banned beam bikes. I rode my softride solo in a road race and noone had any qualms about it, other than the strange looks I got from people.
Thanks for the clarification XC99TF00. I wasn't aware of the USCF rules, and am surprised at the minimal detail compared to the UCI rules.

https://www.usacycling.org/forms/USCF_Rulebook.pdf

1J1.(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international competition or national teams.

Cycling Australia follows the UCI regulations for all events.

https://www.cycling.org.au/Content/Na...tetechregs.pdf

All bicycles ridden in competition shall comply with the UCI Bicycle
Regulations as outlined in Annexure 6 of these regulations unless special
circumstances are granted from time to time by the CA Board of
Management.