Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Shaving Thread Again

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Shaving Thread Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 03:53 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCM800
For those cyclists who shave their legs,all the power to you.

But not me. Frankly,I like having long hairy legs and so do most of the women I meet.

Regards.
That's not what I remember.

Tan, hairless and super tone legs seemed to be enjoyed by many a woman. Who wants to rub godzilla's leg?

Above all, shaved legs are just more comfortable. It's funny to hear that statement denied by people who have never shaved their legs.
Old 10-13-03, 06:46 PM
Jonny B
Not-so-Senior Member

Bikes: Orbea Enol roadie, Fly Micromachine BMX, Fort Track fixed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda want to shave me legs, but a) the rest of me is really hairy too, so I'd look really odd, b) my girlfriend would have a fit (she can hardly be bothered to shave herself), and c) I only shave my face every four or five days, so there's no way I could ever be bothered to keep it up.

BTW, I noticed that not only were new World Champ Igor Astarloa's arms covered in road rash from an earlier crash (can't be many people that have crashed and still won), but also very hairy, even by my standards (that's pretty hairy).
Old 10-13-03, 07:37 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bride of many years freaks when I shave my legs. I am rather hairy, plus it seems to grow fast. I have to shave every other day to look decent and not have truly fierce stubble. Plus she hates it when my legs are smoother than hers.
Old 10-13-03, 08:15 PM
JCM800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard

Above all, shaved legs are just more comfortable.
Perhaps for you.

But I consider hair both natural and comfortable. Besides,I've yet to hear any female complain to me about the hair on my legs. There are also beautiful women who don't shave their legs.

It's funny to hear that statement denied by people who have never shaved their legs.
I have no reason to shave my legs or use nail polish at this time. But I do support anyone who chooses to do so.

Regards.
Old 10-14-03, 07:41 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use shears to get the leg close and then buy some "Nair" (I actually use a $5 cream from Wal-Mart that smells much better). The hair just wipes off. Just remember it's getting cold and goosebumps after shaving suck!
Old 10-14-03, 07:44 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS With respect to the whole "My fiancee hates it" "my girlfriend freaks" just tell them "I supported you when [insert male sexist thing that you stood by them on here]. Why can't you support me here? If we're ever going to acheive a truly gender-blind society, men have to be allowed to shave their legs. To be quite honest, your sexist attitude really surprises me." Works every time
Old 10-14-03, 07:52 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO,dumb unless you are a serious racer.Its more of a cool factor.
Old 10-14-03, 08:39 AM
jchet
XLR8R Passing!

Bikes: Orbea XLR8R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
IMO,dumb unless you are a serious racer.Its more of a cool factor.

Interesting point of view. At 43 a "coolness factor" is far from the logic for me to shave my legs. I do know this, when I train 8-12 hours a week my legs need to be massaged. My lovely wife is happy to do this for me, if I had hair on those legs the hair would be pulled making it painful to get the message. Additionally on the rare occasion I crash it sure is a mess to clean and heal those legs when I have hair involved. Perhaps I am "dumb" but the lack of hair sure makes practicle sense to me.
Old 10-14-03, 08:54 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, dumb not to.
Old 10-14-03, 09:07 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDevil
Anyone else shaving just for the looks?
Doesn't everyone???

How long did it take you when you first shaved? You use shaving cream I assume right? And how do you, uh hum, reach everywhere? Or rather where do you shave to? My leg hair sticks out all the way up the spandex so Im thinking pretty high.
I use shaving cream and a Mach3 razor. Use Nair or an electric shaver for the first shave of the season.

How high?? Well up to my .....
Actually I shave about 2" above the tan line on the inside of the leg. Gotta make sure the hair doesn't show when you sit down while wearing regular shorts. On the outside of the leg I shave up to my hip joint area. If I crash, I'm going to fall and slide on the outside.

Another reason to shave. Leg grippers don't grip on leg hair.

Just like shaving your face - take your time until you get used to doing it.

Shave my arms?? Not yet.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-14-03, 08:01 PM
asinus
Stultus sum.

Bikes: Giant TCR 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice diagram!

In other news, swallow your manhood and get an epilator! No stubbles! Grows back thinner! Chicks dig the hairless legs... they say "you shave your legs?" I say, "No, I epilate." they say, "ooohhhh, do me in the butt."

It's all true except the last part!
Old 10-14-03, 08:10 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCM800
For those cyclists who shave their legs,all the power to you.

But not me. Frankly,I like having long hairy legs and so do most of the women I meet.

Regards.
The women I meet don't, but for balance I'd be shaving everything. I'm the guy the New Joisey lady comediannes make fun of. We get to a certain age and the hair leaves the head and migrates everywhere else. It would be too much problem to constantly shave everything, including my back. I just leave it on and hope they don't use too much tape on the road rash bandage. When they put in my new pacemaker, it took 30 minutes to get the tape off all the monitoring sticky tabs they stuck on me without tearing off clumps of skin with the hair. If you're not too hairy yet, go ahead and strip those gams clean.
Old 10-16-03, 07:51 AM
The_Peddler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asinus
Nice diagram!

In other news, swallow your manhood and get an epilator! No stubbles! Grows back thinner! Chicks dig the hairless legs... they say "you shave your legs?" I say, "No, I epilate." they say, "ooohhhh, do me in the butt."

It's all true except the last part!

Thanks for the laugh

I used to shave my legs when i was a wee lad racing, now im an overweight beer guzzler, i reckon my mates down the local would snot me one.

But as for 'To shave or not to shave' Procrastinate and you'll die wondering, just do it.
Old 10-16-03, 08:10 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jchet
Interesting point of view. At 43 a "coolness factor" is far from the logic for me to shave my legs. I do know this, when I train 8-12 hours a week my legs need to be massaged. My lovely wife is happy to do this for me, if I had hair on those legs the hair would be pulled making it painful to get the message. Additionally on the rare occasion I crash it sure is a mess to clean and heal those legs when I have hair involved. Perhaps I am "dumb" but the lack of hair sure makes practicle sense to me.
Its dumb,not you unless ya race.If you just ride,i dont see a need but thats mo.
Old 10-16-03, 08:29 AM
jchet
XLR8R Passing!

Bikes: Orbea XLR8R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Its dumb,not you unless ya race.If you just ride,i dont see a need but thats mo.
I suppose it may depend on your definition of a ride. I work out on a bike to race, so a ride to me might be a 5 hour hammer ride in the mountians working those legs until they burn. I know that after ride massage from the wife sure helps.
Old 10-16-03, 12:20 PM
wza97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, I'm not really considering it at this point, but I think it's a funny topic. I'm a pretty hairy guy and my girlfriend jokes around about it all the time. But when I joke back that I'm shaving it all off or waxing, she is completely disgusted. I think she likes me hairy. Just maybe not this hairy.
Old 10-16-03, 04:56 PM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jchet
I suppose it may depend on your definition of a ride. I work out on a bike to race, so a ride to me might be a 5 hour hammer ride in the mountians working those legs until they burn. I know that after ride massage from the wife sure helps.
I've said that in my posts that i can understand it if you race or i suppose ride 100's of miles a week.
Old 10-16-03, 04:59 PM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Bikes: Scattante Carbon, Full Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I dont have an electric razon to trim up before going in with my mach 3 what do you guys suggest to use? I 'trimmed' with some scissors on my upper thighs then shaved them but that was really impractical, had to clean the razon out after every run through, still way too much hair for a razor. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-03, 06:59 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posted by CarlJStoneham - 10-14-03 at 07:44 AM
PS With respect to the whole "My fiancee hates it" "my girlfriend freaks" just tell them "I supported you when [insert male sexist thing that you stood by them on here]. Why can't you support me here? If we're ever going to acheive a truly gender-blind society, men have to be allowed to shave their legs. To be quite honest, your sexist attitude really surprises me." Works every time

That sounds like a good plan. After all, I have gone to the store in the middle of the night to buy tampons on more than one occasion.
Old 10-17-03, 07:39 AM
Syncros-CL6

Bikes: many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a couple beers and the ideal will get better
Old 10-17-03, 08:34 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDevil
If I dont have an electric razon to trim up before going in with my mach 3 what do you guys suggest to use?
Any suggestions?
Try Nair (or Nair for Men) to remove the long stuff. Then use the Mach3 as the stubble begins to grow back.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-17-03, 09:11 PM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Bikes: Scattante Carbon, Full Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Say hello to smooth legs! Took forever. Have quite a few nicks but once I learned what angles worked best for various leg parts it smoothed out. Used a helluva lot of shaving cream! Did make it pretty smooth, no razor burn that I can really see. I didnt completly get a few spots so I'll catch them tomorrow after my ride. I'm loving the look! Thanks to all for the advice!