Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Chariot Catch-em?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Chariot Catch-em?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 04:56 AM
gbrandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chariot Catch-em?

Hi folks,

After years of road biking (now years ago), I just "went commuter". Purchased a Breezer Citizen for my wife and am waiting on my Uptown. Now it's time to take care of the little ones.

I've decided on the Chariot Couger2 for the 2 & 4 yr old girls. Love all the options and quality construction. Now I want to get a trail-a-bike for the 6 year old (when the ride is too long for him to go solo).

Chariot does make their Catch-em model. I also saw a generic model in the LBS. Does anyone have any favorite trail-a-bike models? Gears/no gears? We're not doing centuries or weekend overnighters. This is for rides to/from the farther parks, back/forth to school, grocery store etc.

I look forward to any suggestions.

-gb
Old 12-31-06, 02:27 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
The Burley Picolo gets high praise. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. You may be able to find one on ebay or craigslist.
Old 12-31-06, 03:32 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I concur with Masiman.

Previous to the Burley Piccolo, we had an Addams Trail-a-Bike for one year, then sold it as the hitch developped too much play for my sanity. I should add that we travelled 1800 km during that year.

Between the Addams and the Catch-em, I certainly prefer the thumb shifter of the Cath-em. But for me, the key point to check is the hitch stability.
Old 01-01-07, 04:29 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Adams reengineered the U-joint on theire hitch to allow for better adjustablility and durability. You still may need to replace the H-block every so often, but not as much as in the past.
Old 01-02-07, 12:03 PM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check out both.
Old 01-02-07, 12:27 PM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Seems I can get a new Piccolo in Europe (shipping$ !!!) if I wanted to based on all the web advertisements. And of coures the Adams is no problem.

Question - I see the Burley uses its own rack to attach to ("moose"). But will the unit attach to any rack? My wife's Breezer came with a nice rack and I'm not keen on buying another (not to mention issues of fit finish etc.)

Question - If the rack method of attaching is so superior, why does no one else do it that way? And why did they dis****inue?

Question - Being attached to the rack, doesn't that preclude using the rack for anything else, save a smallish rack pack between the attachment and the seat?

thx,,
-g
Old 01-02-07, 02:10 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gbrandt
Ok. Seems I can get a new Piccolo in Europe (shipping$ !!!) if I wanted to based on all the web advertisements. And of coures the Adams is no problem.

Question - I see the Burley uses its own rack to attach to ("moose"). But will the unit attach to any rack? My wife's Breezer came with a nice rack and I'm not keen on buying another (not to mention issues of fit finish etc.)

Question - If the rack method of attaching is so superior, why does no one else do it that way? And why did they dis****inue?
1. Pretty good that you found one there. Maybe they have it maybe they do not, i.e. they may not have any in stock and it seemed toward the end that supply was short and Burley was backlogged with orders for them when the surprise news hit (see below).

2. I do not think they do mount to other racks but others would have to answer specifically.

3. I don't know why no one else improved their designs but it seems to be a general complaint about these products, the hitch's get sloppy. Burley seemed to engineer it the best. Maybe the others did not see a cost benefit to doing it better. As for the discontinuation story, see the following threads:

Changes at Burley
Burley Owner
Old 01-02-07, 07:49 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burley was porrly managed almost into cycling history. They were a hippie run Pacfic Northwest co-op, but with a very poor sense of busniess. They had to sell everything and cut staff and production to become solvent. All they have now are 5 trailers. No more Piccalo, rain gear, or bikes.