Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bug + laptop?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bug + laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 06:02 PM
gbrandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bug + laptop?

Anyone out there own an Arkel Bug and stows a laptop in it? I'm torn between the features & versatility of the Bug and the dedicated laptop protection of the Commuter. Opinions?

-gb
Old 01-03-07, 07:07 PM
Frankenberry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has an Arkel Bug and I have the Commuter. I chose the Commuter strictly because of my laptop. A padded case inside the Bug would not be suspended the same, but would provide enough protection. The pockets on the side of the Commuter are too small to be very useful, I use them for my flat repair kit and tools. The laptop padding is supposed to be removable, but mine came stitched in, probably a prior design. This has only been a minor inconvenience as I seldom stuff it completely full unless I have the laptop with.

If you expect to take your laptop frequently, then go with the commuter. If the backpack straps, additional pockets and attachment points are more valuable, then go with the Bug.

I did not like the shoulder strap the came with the Commuter as it slides off my shoulder, but one from my laptop case works just fine.

As a backpack, the Bug works, but is not perfect. My wife still takes her old backpack when she is not taking the bike.
Old 01-04-07, 12:43 PM
sukram
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Bikes: Brompton & a Bianchi Volpe do-it-all-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Arkel Briefcase so I can't weigh in on the Commuter or Bug.

The laptop insert is suspended, which is nice, and it is removable although I don't remove the insert often, just the laptop.

I really like the Briefcase although I find the handle could be a bit wider, it digs in a bit when I've got the Briefcase loaded and I'm carrying it by hand. Reflective piping and maybe some straps for a clip on blinky would add some value to it. I also wish the shoulder strap D rings were located at the edge of the bag rather than inset, but it works fine as-is.

I find I over-use the outer pocket of the top flap, especially when it's cooler. I keep my gloves, hat and blinkies in there as well as some other stuff. Good thing it's a good size.

The Briefcase is a bit more expensive, but it makes a great laptop and general office bag. I don't bother with any other office/laptop bag anymore, even when I'm not riding my bike to work.
Old 01-04-07, 12:58 PM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. The bug might be the best overall compromise for me (I really like the idea of stowing my helmut in the sling too). That's the trouble with not have any LBS nearby that carries Arkel. I can't ouch anything. Something tells me I may eventually get more than one bag...

-gb