Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

To carry a pump & spare tube or not to carry pump & spare tube...?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 10:07 AM
Cycle-clops
Master Control Program

Bikes: Devinci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering how many people carry a repair kit during a race? Obviously at the elete level this would be futile since the time required to fix a flat. However if your primary goal is just to finish the race I think it would be heart breaking to have to drop out of the race because of a minor mechanical problem.
Old 02-23-07, 11:04 AM
remorashadow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sprint or olympic, no point for me, I race for position. Anything longer and I still carry the gear.
Old 02-23-07, 12:08 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I always race with a spare tube. I use a CO2 system instead of a pump because the CO2 system fits into my seatbag easily. I would never race without a spare - I can't imagine being 10 miles from T2, getting a flat, then having to walk all the way back in my bike shoes. Not all races have enough support to send a vehicle out to pick up riders in distress.

By the way, every month in Triathlete Magazine, they spotlight a professional rider's bike fully decked out in race-ready condition. I don't ever recall seeing one without a spare. However, that may be because the bikes they spotlight are primarily outfitted for IM distance races. I'll have to be more observant the next time I watch an Olympic distance race (or shorter) to see if the top racers have spares.

By the way, it doesn't take too long to change a tubular if you're experienced. Unless your tire has too much glue (e.g. Normann Stadler in his infamous 2005 IM race).
Old 02-23-07, 01:18 PM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes about 10 minures to replace a tube with foldable clincher tire and CO2 cartridge...you can judge if that is worth packing a seat bag.
Old 02-23-07, 02:01 PM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I flatted in a sprint race last season. After swearing & throwing my bike, I changed the tube, used a CO2 cartridge, and finished the race.

In the same race, another lady who didn't have stuff (and said she didn't know how to change a flat - shame on her) had to walk for 45min to get to someone who could pick her up & take her back to transition.

The extra time didn't help me in the standings, but I had a more enjoyable day than she did..... And FWIW, I figure even with my little hissy fit, it still only took me 6 min until I was back on my bike.
Old 02-23-07, 05:29 PM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edbikebabe
I flatted in a sprint race last season. After swearing & throwing my bike, I changed the tube, used a CO2 cartridge, and finished the race.

In the same race, another lady who didn't have stuff (and said she didn't know how to change a flat - shame on her) had to walk for 45min to get to someone who could pick her up & take her back to transition.

The extra time didn't help me in the standings, but I had a more enjoyable day than she did..... And FWIW, I figure even with my little hissy fit, it still only took me 6 min until I was back on my bike.

6 min is pretty good for changing a flat. My PR is 8 min. I'll have to practice some more.
Old 02-23-07, 06:23 PM
Woden2003

Bikes: Specialized Allez (with a little help)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spiderbike... if you practice it often (i.e. not just when you get a flat, but just practice it sitting at home), you should be able to change a clincher in under 3 minutes with a co2 system. (yes i realize you're using cartridges, but you don't need the wheel inflated all the way, so just work with quick bursts.

I know that when i trained with team in training, they would flat our tires (take all the pressure out, not cut the thing or antyhing crazy like that) to make us practice. definitely carry stuff with you.
Old 02-23-07, 07:27 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Like remorashadow, I don't normally carry spares on any race shorter than half IM.

Only exceptions have been during the lead up to the Duathlon World Championships in 2005. Where the State and Nation event's were qualifiers to make the team, so finishing mattered. And for the World Championships as I didn't want a DNF to my name...
Old 02-23-07, 08:51 PM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Woden2003
spiderbike... if you practice it often (i.e. not just when you get a flat, but just practice it sitting at home), you should be able to change a clincher in under 3 minutes with a co2 system. (yes i realize you're using cartridges, but you don't need the wheel inflated all the way, so just work with quick bursts.

I know that when i trained with team in training, they would flat our tires (take all the pressure out, not cut the thing or antyhing crazy like that) to make us practice. definitely carry stuff with you.

very impressive, I guess that would answer the question to the thread.

I have never practiced changing a flat, I just do it on the road whenever it happens. Which is a pretty infrequent occurance.

How fast can change a beaded tire? That could be some real competition....
Old 02-26-07, 10:28 AM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 min is pretty good for changing a flat. My PR is 8 min. I'll have to practice some more.
I kinda guessed on how long it took. Maybe my ride was faster than I thought. If that's the case, now I'm really, really mad I flatted that race...
Old 02-26-07, 11:06 AM
Jstyle
Go big or go home

Bikes: Cannondale Ironman 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As light weight and compact as a spare tube and a co2 gun are why would you not carry one. I keep all of my tools in a waterbottle that is on the frame. My two other waterbottles are rear mount and they are filled with gatorade endurance...
Old 02-26-07, 03:12 PM
guncollector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody using or carrying Vittoria Pit Stop in lieu of spare and CO2? I'm thinking its the perfect solution for a Sprint or Oly, 20-30 seconds and you're back up and running at 90 PSI. For long course, I'd carry the spare and CO2.
Old 03-02-07, 10:34 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tube, patch kit, and pump for me. Always. Make sure your inflation device is a good one too. No sense having a pump which pulls apart when you need it most or can't get past 60psi (or for some people, a C02 inflator that doesn't seat well on the valvestem and wastes your C02). Happened to my friend on his first triathlon. No tube, no patch kit, no levers, and his pump (blackburn airstik) came apart in his hands and he had a 7 mile walk back to T2 (it was our first event so it was a learning experience for us with different problems).

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.