Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

You ever get that itch?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

You ever get that itch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 02:38 PM
Triguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ever get that itch?

You ever get that itch for more gear? Ooh damn it's a bugger. Right now I'm saving up for a rear wheel but damned if I don't think a road bike would be fun too.
Old 02-27-07, 03:42 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh yeah, I got the itch. I have 4 bikes already - a fixed gear, a Cervelo Soloist roadie, a Felt S22 tri-bike, and a Cannondale mountainbike. 2 trainers, 8 wheels (in addition to the ones on my bikes), boxes worth of old parts, 5 pairs of bike shoes, 1 HRM, 1 Garmin Forerunner and a bunch of bike tools. And it still isn't enough - I almost bought a Litespeed Saber frameset 2 weeks ago! (good thing they didn't have my size)

I have to keep reminding myself that more gear won't make me faster, but a visit to the LBS is like waving a vial of crack in front of a recovering addict. Not to mention the Colorado Cyclist, Excel Sports, Nashbar and Performance catalogues that arrive in the mail nearly every week, tempting me with their shiny goodies.

Thankfully my wife is a triathlete too, so she likes bike stuff. Otherwise I'd probably be divorced by now.
Old 02-27-07, 04:01 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, Im ahving a bad case of wanting the Cervelo Soloist right now myself
Old 02-27-07, 04:03 PM
francismacomber
Just a guy on a bike

Bikes: 2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai, 2006 Trek Fuel EX7, 2004 Trek Equinox 7, 89(ish) Trek 420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with you, I have been blowing up my paypal account on ebay the last few weeks. For some reason, I decided that my bike needed a 9sp dura ace drive train instead of the perfectly good 105 that is on it. Not to mention tires, tubes, a new saddle, shorts, a jersey...

Man I hope the snow melts soon so I can be out riding instead of shopping online!
Old 02-27-07, 06:41 PM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went on a running shoe and supplement binge. Sports Authority had the Saucony Hurricane 8's on sale half off so I picked them up, and then while there I saw my current Sauconys the Trigon Guide on the clearance rack. I just got now shoes and set for a few months but a deal is a deal. I also found some good deals on powergels and snickers marathon bars on ebay and now have 2 cases of each. At least Im stocked up for a while.
Old 02-27-07, 08:10 PM
Fivetenfrank

Bikes: 2004 Jamis Exile; 2006 Jamis Ventura Comp, 2005 Fuji Aloha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a new beater road bike just to mess around with (my Aloha is great but I wanted something to ride that doesnt have me bent over for three hours), and now I want tri shoes.

I have been doing duathlons without clipless. I wear a pair of Nike Waffles for the whole event. I have aset of snap in flat pedal adapters. I wear carbon soled road shoes for training, but something tells me I should make the move to tri shoes.

I joined the Team GU program this year, because I go through gels and supplements like water. I am also anti-social, so I have been reluctant to join one of the local clubs. This is a happy medium. I get some team support, without having to pay $50 to join a "team" with a roster of 150 people.
Old 02-27-07, 08:18 PM
touringtotri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee, this is like gear addicts anonymous...I enjoy looking at gear online and I waste half the winter doing so, but I hardly ever buy anything because I'm a minor and don't have a credit card or a job...yeah.

I better get a good job when I get older or I'll be bankrupt in half a second
Old 02-28-07, 03:50 AM
trimonkey

Bikes: giant scr 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the time. Half my closet is training gear. Numerous shoes, saddles, seat posts, new wheels, aero bars, tyres, and i'm wondering if i should buy a 2006 Cervelo Soloist Team at £800 from a company in London. Although i'm pretty sure none of it makes me faster, it certainly is fun!
Old 02-28-07, 09:34 AM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
You ever get that itch for more gear?
The question should be, does it ever go away?!
Old 02-28-07, 03:54 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yairi
The question should be, does it ever go away?!
Are you suggesting that when I get my race wheels, I won't be satisfied?? this is absurd. haha. In all seriousness, there is a direct inverse relationship between the amount I'm biking and the amount I stare at bike parts online. Sad really because winters not over and I hate the trainer.
Old 03-01-07, 10:48 AM
Jstyle
Go big or go home

Bikes: Cannondale Ironman 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have grown to despise my trainer. I have several hundred miles on it this year and I HATE that thing...
Old 03-01-07, 11:05 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too hate the trainer.
Old 03-01-07, 11:59 AM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me3, hence why I ditched it in favour of rollers

(they still suck)

(but not as badly)
Old 03-01-07, 12:19 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everytime i search one of the online stores, i always find something else i "need"... It sucks. Sucks the money right out of my wallet...

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 03-01-07, 08:47 PM
ironcamper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the itch for a fixie. Found one on e-bay for 280. My P3 carbon is wondering what happened. I ride the fixie in the slop. Keeps me away from the trainer, pedalling like a madman and enjoying the ride. It's addicting. Skipped my run today and instead jumped on the fixie for an hour. Hoping for improvement in spin, cadence, strength and endurance (ie. no coasting on 3 hr rides). Cervelo P2k, Cervelo P3 Carbon, Hollands road bike and now fixed gear bike.
Conversation with wife went something like this: I really NEED this. If I get this, I won't need anything else.... Yeah, right.
Old 03-01-07, 09:22 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The UPS guy stops by my house out of habit, even if he doesn't have anything for me.
Old 03-01-07, 10:20 PM
rplong

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro, Trek 2300, Specialized Rockhopper, Cervelo P2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you guys hate the trainer? Well mine should be here in a couple of days. A result of the 'itch' and tired of the weather. We got around 10-12 inches today. Not riding is really creating an imbalance to my triathlon training. Give me a little while before I post my hate for it too...
Old 03-28-07, 01:11 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got my Rear race wheel. Ended up scratching "the itch" pretty damn well. Front 2002 Zipp 404 and a rear Cane Creek Aros 58(basically a 404) for under 450 with very fast tires. I have a rear disc cover that will fit the Aros pretty well too. I'm all set for the season.
Old 03-28-07, 02:26 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
yeah, Im ahving a bad case of wanting the Cervelo Soloist right now myself
Yeah. I'm starting to fall for that Cervelo P3 myself. I can't afford it but I just might end up doing something stupid and get it anyway.
Old 03-28-07, 03:53 PM
rplong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got my Rear race wheel. Ended up scratching "the itch" pretty damn well. Front 2002 Zipp 404 and a rear Cane Creek Aros 58(basically a 404) for under 450 with very fast tires. I have a rear disc cover that will fit the Aros pretty well too. I'm all set for the season.
both for under 450? nice deal. Ebay?
Old 03-28-07, 06:49 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. Thanks, actually I pulled a fairly crafty move for the front. A guy on Slowtwitch wanted to trade his front 404 for a Specialized tri spoke clincher, and I knew a local guy selling a Trispoke on Craigslist for cheap. So I picked that up and swapped. Then on slowtwitch I got the rear aros for a steal. I avoid ebay because of the hassle, and the unpredictability.
Old 03-28-07, 08:55 PM
rplong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. Thanks, actually I pulled a fairly crafty move for the front. A guy on Slowtwitch wanted to trade his front 404 for a Specialized tri spoke clincher, and I knew a local guy selling a Trispoke on Craigslist for cheap. So I picked that up and swapped. Then on slowtwitch I got the rear aros for a steal. I avoid ebay because of the hassle, and the unpredictability.
slick
Old 03-29-07, 12:42 PM
sweetharriet
Poseuse.

Bikes: giant ocr3, adapted to triathlon as best it can be. 1976 kia "star" women's "racing" (soon to be a beater commuter bike, it's brown!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uhhhh...THAT itch?

anyway...

the mechanic told me i need a new cassette n drivetrain. SHUCKY DARN best start shopping!