Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Can the Trek 520 rack be trusted?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 06:25 PM
l3ica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So pretty much every single review i've read for the 520 says the rear rack is a piece o' ____.
Is it really that bad? Has anyone had success with it? Is it possible they have improved it at all the last few years for the '07 or '08 models? I am planning to carry about 40-50 pounds in the rear, for over 5,000 miles, anyone on here think it can be trusted for the job? I'd really hate to dish out an extra $100 on a tubus if I don't have to.
Old 11-29-07, 09:44 PM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had about 30lbs worth of groceries in panniers on my '06 trek rack and one of the stays/arms bent. I still use the trek rack for grocery getting because if something does go wrong, I'm not far from home. However, on my touring bike I have a tubus rack. One less thing to worry about for me when I don't want to be worrying about anything. Perhaps your trek rack will remain straight and do it's job for you over the next 10 or so years. But, my '06 trek rack only lasted about two and half months before it bent, so in my opinion the trek rack is junk.

I should add that I ignored all warnings as well until my rack bent. Nothing wrong with you doing the same. I wouldn't go throwing down money for another rack until you know that you need one. I only switched my rack out when I learned through my own experience that I should.

Last edited by jcwitte; 11-29-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 10:50 PM
l3ica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just rather not learn that lesson somewhere in the middle of kansas when the rack snaps and goes flying off the back...surely Trek knows about the shortcomings of the rack, I'm amazed that on a model that has such a good reputation, they would leave a glaring flaw uncorrected.
Old 11-29-07, 11:11 PM
PhattTyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had success with the stock Trek rack. I rode an '07 4500 miles across the country this summer/fall with no problems. I had about 30-40 pounds on it and nothing bent, cracked, or otherwise weakened. The trick with any rack is setting it up right (parallel to the ground is key), making sure the bolts are always tight, and keeping it loaded evenly.

Having said that, for 4500 miles this summer/fall I expected the darn thing to break at any time. The fact that it hasn't yet makes me feel like I'm on borrowed time. If touring is something you expect to do regularly, get a new rack. I'll be ditching mine before the next trip.

The biggest issues I had with my 520 are the gearing, the stock tires, and the rear rim. A road triple is ridiculous on a touring bike and everyone knows it. You probably won't have to push the bike, but a smaller granny gear would be great. The stock tires roll quick and are puncture resistant, but expect the tread to peel off after 1000 miles. Compared to 2500 miles on a Conti Contact and 3500 on a Schwalbe Marathon both still going strong. The rims have a good reputation, but I found cracks around the eyelets after the trip. My total load (me, bike, gear, everything) only weighed about 250lbs. I'd expect more out of a touring rim. I was working in a Trek shop on the TransAm route this summer and found 3-4 other 520 rider who experienced the same issues with the rims, tires, and gearing.
Old 11-30-07, 06:38 AM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50 pounds on a rack? That's a lot of weight for any rack. That kind of load could also trash your rear wheel.

I'd really try to go a lot lighter.
Old 11-30-07, 06:54 AM
I922sParkCir

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an owner of a 520 I agree with every one else. The rack is nearly worthless.

-Jai
Old 11-30-07, 07:37 AM
chrisch

Bikes: Trek 520, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also like to swap out the rear rack after reading so many poor reviews. Does anyone know of a better rack that will also support the Trek Interchange Deluxe Trunk? This bag is fantastic and it would be a shame to lose it.
Old 11-30-07, 07:51 AM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhattTyre
I've had success with the stock Trek rack. I rode an '07 4500 miles across the country this summer/fall with no problems. I had about 30-40 pounds on it and nothing bent, cracked, or otherwise weakened. The trick with any rack is setting it up right (parallel to the ground is key), making sure the bolts are always tight, and keeping it loaded evenly.

Having said that, for 4500 miles this summer/fall I expected the darn thing to break at any time. The fact that it hasn't yet makes me feel like I'm on borrowed time. If touring is something you expect to do regularly, get a new rack. I'll be ditching mine before the next trip.

The biggest issues I had with my 520 are the gearing, the stock tires, and the rear rim. A road triple is ridiculous on a touring bike and everyone knows it. You probably won't have to push the bike, but a smaller granny gear would be great. The stock tires roll quick and are puncture resistant, but expect the tread to peel off after 1000 miles. Compared to 2500 miles on a Conti Contact and 3500 on a Schwalbe Marathon both still going strong. The rims have a good reputation, but I found cracks around the eyelets after the trip. My total load (me, bike, gear, everything) only weighed about 250lbs. I'd expect more out of a touring rim. I was working in a Trek shop on the TransAm route this summer and found 3-4 other 520 rider who experienced the same issues with the rims, tires, and gearing.
It may be that I didn't have the bolts tightened and that is why my rack bent. I also just recently swapped out the rims on my '06 520 due to cracks around the eyelets. I changed the tires and gearing right away. If I could do the whole thing over, I probably would have bought a surly and built it up properly from the get go. Trek probably won't fix the problems with the gearing, etc if we keep buying it as is.
Old 11-30-07, 08:13 AM
l3ica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomee
50 pounds on a rack? That's a lot of weight for any rack. That kind of load could also trash your rear wheel.

I'd really try to go a lot lighter.
I don't think 50 pounds is too much, most higher end racks (tubus, OMM, Jandd) are rated for at least 50 pounds, some up to 80. Granted that 50 is the high end for what I would be loading, but considering I am ~150 pounds, If a quality rack is rated for more than 50, I don't have to much concern over trashing the rear wheel.
Old 11-30-07, 08:27 AM
paul2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Trek 520 in '95. The rack broke after a couple of years. My LBS replaced it under warranty with a new Trek rack, which I've used ever since with no problems.
Old 11-30-07, 09:15 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I purchased a Trek rear rack for my touring bike and have never had any problems with it. Does anyone have a close-up picture of the stock rack on the newer 520 or does it have a model number, just curious if it what I've used with no problems the last couple of years. Thanks
Old 11-30-07, 09:08 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by l3ica
I don't think 50 pounds is too much, most higher end racks (tubus, OMM, Jandd) are rated for at least 50 pounds, some up to 80. Granted that 50 is the high end for what I would be loading, but considering I am ~150 pounds, If a quality rack is rated for more than 50, I don't have to much concern over trashing the rear wheel.

First off, the rating of the rack isn't that important. Just because a rack is rated for 50 pounds, doesn't mean it should have 50 pounds strapped to it. for what its worth, I've never seen any rack fail-- I have seen a couple of braze-ons fail however. And I've lots of rear wheels trashed-- it's pretty common even. I wouldn't call the stock wheels on a 520 high quality-- the're OK and should be fine, but overloading them might cause a massive failure.

good luck,
Tacomee