Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water Bottle Cage

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Water Bottle Cage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 12:28 PM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Water Bottle Cage

Does a racing water bottle cage make any difference on speed? Is there really any difference between a regular aluminum cage and a racing one?
Old 03-30-15, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Racing cage will make you up to 5 mph faster but it has to be red to get that kind of gain.

It's just looks, really.
Old 03-30-15, 12:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,408 Posts
Whatever difference it might make doesn't amount to anything in the scheme of things. Cages are about holding bottles securely. Use the one that does the job, subject to your style preference and budget.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-30-15, 12:54 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is race branded cages are just lighter and have no real benefit over any other cage. Buy what you like without the influence a race label could impose.
Old 03-30-15, 01:37 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Aero accessories will save you at most a few seconds per hour. This can be important if you are contending for a podium spot in a top race, but has no value to non-racers.
Old 03-30-15, 04:51 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
Does a racing water bottle cage make any difference on speed? Is there really any difference between a regular aluminum cage and a racing one?

Mixing manufactures and colors results in sub-optimal performance. Use Bontrager for Trek, Specialized for...yes, Specialized bikes.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-30-15, 06:20 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got my road bike, I got the bottle cages that I liked the best, fit the best and were easiest to get the bottle in and out of. In this case, they happened to be carbon fiber ones but the material had no bearing on my decision.

As mentioned, it's mainly looks.
Old 03-31-15, 07:24 AM
Domane

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean people buy something other than Arundel Dave-O bottle cages or Arundel Side Loader bottle cages?

It those two won't work for you the Arundel Mandible is likely what you are looking for.

Bottle Cages | Product Categories | Arundel Bicycle Company

Seriously, I have Arundel Dave-O bottle cages and my wife has a set of Arundel Side Loader bottle cages, they do not scratch up our bottles which we now use Camelbak Podium Ice bottles. Well I use two of the Podium Ice bottles, my wife due to her frame size uses one Podium Ice bottle and one Camel Back Podium Chill bottle. The Podium Ice bottles are about an inch taller than the Podium Chill bottles and won't fit on her seat post due to the height.

The Arundel bottle cages hold the bottles securely and they look nice as well.

Last edited by Domane; 03-31-15 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 08:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Domane
You mean people buy something other than Arundel Dave-O bottle cages
Dave-O cages are ludicrously expensive for what they are, so I only bought two.

I gave up on the traditional metal ones after ejecting one too many water bottles on a down hill. I've never had a hint of a problem with the arundel cages.
Old 03-31-15, 09:09 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I have traditional metal cages and never in 40 years had a ejected water bottle even after I switched to the heavier 24 ounce Polar bottles. I also have plastic cages and those too have never ejected a bottle. Some cages I can tell by trying to flex them that they could eject a bigger Polar bottle so I don't get those.

The best cage on the market (in my opinion of course) for the money and weight is the polymer (plastic) Bontrager RL cage, this cage cost $20 and weighs 38 grams and is very strong for holding larger Polar bottles, plus comes in a variety of colors. Lezyne makes a nice looking aluminum cage that weighs 42 grams that has a built in bracket (curved section) on the side of the cage and a strap to hold their Road Drive pumps snuggly without rattling, and it too is very strong for holding larger Polar bottles.

There are lots of bottle cages on the market to choose from, some are flimsy, but most do the job well.
Old 03-31-15, 09:17 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I gave up on the traditional metal ones after ejecting one too many water bottles on a down hill. I've never had a hint of a problem with the arundel cages.
I had my daughter buy me a pair of Dave-Os for Father's Day a few years ago.

Great cages. If you were racing without a water bottle in the cage(s), they might not be as aerodynamic as a wire/metal cage.

I've heard that if you are going to use only one bottle, but it on the seat tube for better aerodynamics.
Old 03-31-15, 09:22 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Mixing manufactures and colors results in sub-optimal performance. Use Bontrager for Trek, Specialized for...yes, Specialized bikes.
What about Arundel? They don't make bikes.
Old 03-31-15, 09:28 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

My Arundel sports bounced a bottle once. Unexpected rough patch.
Old 03-31-15, 10:05 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Mount them to your legs. Self tapping screws should suffice.

I should have said "dave-O" cages, not arundel cages, since I only have Dave-Os
Old 03-31-15, 10:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Agreed...

There is no single "best" and if you use one from the same manufacturer of your frame, the look and finish will match.

After all, if you can't be fast, you should look fast
Old 03-31-15, 11:05 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Every plastic or carbon cage I've ever used has been a bottle launcher. I'm not saying the material was at fault, just that you need to find the right design in those materials. I use inexpensive stainless cages on my road bike and inexpensive alloy Elite cages with gel inserts on my cross bike. Never had a problem with either.
Old 03-31-15, 03:12 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
3rd party performance enhancing accessories are acceptable at the risk of warranty-voiding asplosions.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-31-15, 03:15 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Every plastic or carbon cage I've ever used has been a bottle launcher. I'm not saying the material was at fault, just that you need to find the right design in those materials. I use inexpensive stainless cages on my road bike and inexpensive alloy Elite cages with gel inserts on my cross bike. Never had a problem with either.
I've gone over some fairly large bumps since our roads are often bad and thankfully haven't lost a bottle yet but as you said, more about design than material.
Old 03-31-15, 03:15 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The best cage on the market (in my opinion of course) for the money and weight is the polymer (plastic) Bontrager RL cage, this cage cost $20 and weighs 38 grams and is very strong for holding larger Polar bottles, plus comes in a variety of colors.
Turns out this these are the 4rd, and best, bottle cage I have used. No marring or black streaks of the bottles, springy enough to allow large bottles in my smaller frame bikes. And they match my Trek.

Old 03-31-15, 11:02 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess they make them for a reason

You would never notice any actual speed gain as a standard cyclist.
Old 03-31-15, 11:42 PM
mcfastie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesnt make a difference. I go with a normal bottle cage.
Old 04-01-15, 12:14 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've always been pretty happy with the reasonably priced Specialized E-cages. They're not carbon but I think the traditional metal design looks good on my carbon frame.
Old 04-01-15, 03:57 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman

Actually there has been wind tunnel test that have shown that the helmet and the Bottle cage with bottle are the two accessories that show the largest improvement in aerodynamics. Which is all fine and dandy but I personally don't care since I don't race and so far no aero bottles come insulated, if they ever come out with a insulated aero water bottle than I might switch one bike over. Of course the gain in aerodynamics is really only begins to be slightly beneficial starts around 15 mph and increased in benefit as the speed increases...which is true with any aerodynamic thing, be it a aero bike, aero wheels, aero helmet, aero bottle etc.

By the way the Trek pictured would need to have a second aero bottle where the Tacx cage is now otherwise the rider is completely wasting any benefit the first aero bottle is trying to provide.
Old 04-01-15, 07:30 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Bunyanderman

A Specialized cage on a Trek? Living on the edge.
Old 04-01-15, 03:31 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cheap plastic ones that match my bike work for me. I have never seen one get ejected but I guess it could happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.