Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tires for kid's bike?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 11:46 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone here set their kid up with winter/studded tires? My daughter rides a few blocks every day to school on an Isla bike. Our winters are harsh and she has asked me a couple of times for a "snow bike". Her next bike will likely be semi-fat so she can ride dirt, snow and streets but thinking of putting a studded tire up front for her for the time being.

Wondering if anyone has done it and what success was like with it being ridden.
Old 11-23-16, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Check with the big bike shop, Perennial Cycles, in town ?

winter tire sort : Winter Tires - Perennial Cycle
Old 11-23-16, 04:15 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in the metro, most days you wont need studs IMO. the streets stay pretty clear. anything with a bit of tread is fine especially for few blocks.

if she has a newer road bike, clearance is an issue. my road fork wont fit bigger than 28c.

otherwise, not sure what you're asking exactly. the hub has many locations, all of which carry typical studded tires. are you looking for an odd size or?
Old 11-23-16, 04:20 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
saw this and also googled isla bikes..... for a bike and kid that small, i would do it, just to be safe!! but yes i'm not sure where to find 20" studded tires.

to answer the quoted question tho, yes, it makes a huge difference. studded tires are the only thing that can compete with actual ice. snow like today, and even layers of packed snow is not such a big deal with any knobbier tires. ice is the true danger IMO. unless you trust your daughter to be very careful and look out for ice i'd get studs for sure.
Old 11-23-16, 04:33 PM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for such a thorough response. I use studs myself and know how important they are, more specifically I'm wondering if it is worth it for my seven year old or if anyone else had bought studded tires for a child that young. Careful isn't really in her vocabulary.

Originally Posted by bike_galpal
saw this and also googled isla bikes..... for a bike and kid that small, i would do it, just to be safe!! but yes i'm not sure where to find 20" studded tires.

to answer the quoted question tho, yes, it makes a huge difference. studded tires are the only thing that can compete with actual ice. snow like today, and even layers of packed snow is not such a big deal with any knobbier tires. ice is the true danger IMO. unless you trust your daughter to be very careful and look out for ice i'd get studs for sure.
Old 11-25-16, 06:10 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
Anyone here set their kid up with winter/studded tires? My daughter rides a few blocks every day to school on an Isla bike. Our winters are harsh and she has asked me a couple of times for a "snow bike". Her next bike will likely be semi-fat so she can ride dirt, snow and streets but thinking of putting a studded tire up front for her for the time being.

I think its really cool (no pun intended) that she wants to winter ride but if she's like my girls (now adults) going down once on the ice (no studs) may end that enthusiasm. With only the front tire studded she will go down in the first icy corner, which is not too awful having the rear wheel slide out from under, unless she slides into oncoming traffic. If she's really keen I'd get two studded tires, , and spend some time riding with her to make sure she knows how to handle them. I'm assuming that there is not much traffic in your neighborhood. If there is then forget the whole thing.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...arathon_winter
Old 11-28-16, 09:33 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Schwalbe makes 20" studded tires. Look for used? They tend to last a long time.
Old 11-28-16, 01:46 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
For a moderate mileage its possible to make studded tires yourself using sheet metal screws. More details available at youtube etc.
Old 11-28-16, 03:02 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
For a moderate mileage its possible to make studded tires yourself using sheet metal screws. More details available at youtube etc.
Ugg, that will wear out in no time, be super heavy and not last one season. Studded tires will last for 5-10 seasons.
Old 11-28-16, 03:18 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Ugg, that will wear out in no time, be super heavy and not last one season. Studded tires will last for 5-10 seasons.
Since I started the post with "for a moderate mileage", what do you think you're adding by asserting "it'll wear out in no time" and "not last one season"?
This was for a kid's bike, riding "a few blocks". Won't take much to fit that bill.
And why would it be super heavy? Have you even checked how DIY studded bicycle tires can be made?
You'd have to be pretty darn weak before a handful of 1/2" screws and maybe 3 meters of duct tape qualities as "super heavy".