Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just Curious

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-17, 05:49 PM
swiftycoop

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Specialized Alibi Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just Curious

When you folks rave about how comfortable a Brooks or SA or whatever saddle you have is...are most of you wearing padded bicycle shorts? I have a new Brooks B17 that I am trying to get dialed in wearing my normal cargo shorts, don't have any bike shorts yet. So far, the Brooks is winning.
Old 12-24-17, 05:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
When you folks rave about how comfortable a Brooks or SA or whatever saddle you have is...are most of you wearing padded bicycle shorts? I have a new Brooks B17 that I am trying to get dialed in wearing my normal cargo shorts, don't have any bike shorts yet. So far, the Brooks is winning.
We start with padded shorts. Later we might ride just ordinary shorts.

And tip the nose of the saddle up.
Old 12-24-17, 06:04 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The mistake most people make with Brooks saddles is to have the nose too low - even a horizontal saddle has the nose too low. Have a look at the back of the saddle where your pelvis sits, in particular, look at the points your pelvis sits on. When the saddle is flat, these point downwards and so you slip forwards on the saddle. This results in you sitting on the 'hammock' between the nose and the rear of the saddle - it also results in you pushing back with your hands putting pressure on your hands. It's made worse when the saddle is new because that shiny surface is slippery.

The trick is to point the nose up a bit, maybe a fair bit depending on the saddle, until you feel as though you're sitting firmly on the saddle, but without the nose digging into your groin (another sign that you've slipped forward incidentally). If you're constantly pushing yourself back onto the saddle, put the nose up a little (and a little goes a long way) - carry the appropriate tools so you can do this on the side of the road. As your pelvis creates those two dents in the back of the saddle, you'll find you can lower the nose, in stages until you're sitting firmly without undue pressure anywhere.

It's different for every saddle which is why you won't find us giving measurements.

I've worn bike shorts and running shorts. My last two saddles were broken in wearing running shorts... until my running shorts packed up and I went back to an old pair of mtb shorts. Now that the mtb shorts have died, I'm back to running shorts. You don't 'need' padding on a Brooks, but some people wear it, particularly on longer rides. Realistically though, it doesn't matter if you only ever wear padding because let's face it, cycling kit was designed to make riding more comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-17, 06:19 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The chamois aka padding is more about moisture management than it is cushioning.
Old 12-24-17, 06:41 PM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adaptation over time

The narrow saddle that came with my bike caused excruciating pain from the moment I got on. (Not riding in more than 50 years would most likely be another factor in my discomfort.) I quickly ordered a replacement saddle (leather Gilles Berthoud) and padded shorts. The replacement saddle arrived first, and my pain-free ride jumped to about a half hour. A few days later, I added the padded shorts, and my ride times doubled and quadrupled. At first, my most comfortable shorts (good for 5-6 hous) had thicker pads; after a year plus of riding, I found my thinner padded shorts more comfortable and good for still longer rides. Now, after two years, compression running shorts (to keep stuff in place) are all I need for any ride under 3-4 hours. I hope to eliminate pads soon even for all-day rides.
Old 12-24-17, 06:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Padding, not chamois -

chamois (shămˈē)►
n. An extremely agile goat antelope (Rupicapra rupicapra) of mountainous regions of Europe, having upright horns with backward-hooked tips.
n. A soft leather made from the hide of this animal or other animals such as deer or sheep.
n. A piece of such leather, or a cotton fabric made to resemble it, used as a polishing cloth or in shirts.

The fact that so many people call the pads 'chamois' shows the triumph of marketing - repetition wins, even if what's repeated is a lie.
Old 12-24-17, 07:01 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Padding, not chamois -

chamois (shămˈē)►
n. An extremely agile goat antelope (Rupicapra rupicapra) of mountainous regions of Europe, having upright horns with backward-hooked tips.
n. A soft leather made from the hide of this animal or other animals such as deer or sheep.
n. A piece of such leather, or a cotton fabric made to resemble it, used as a polishing cloth or in shirts.

The fact that so many people call the pads 'chamois' shows the triumph of marketing - repetition wins, even if what's repeated is a lie.
History, not marketing.

The chamois was originally made from a chamois skin. Looks like you can still get them

https://www.kucharikclothing.com/we-r...d-6-p-343.html

Last edited by TGT1; 12-24-17 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 07:27 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
I ride in regular shorts. I have B17s on three bikes. Tilt, tilt, and more tilt. Mine are super comfy with no break in required.
Old 12-24-17, 08:34 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
My Brooks has something like 2200 miles on it now. I don't even notice it about 99.99% of the time when I'm riding. When I first bought it it felt like I was sitting on some rounded granite. It just faded out of my consciousness as it got more and more broken in. Some report that at some point all of a sudden it went from painfully stiff to nice and comfy, and it just wasn't that way for me. The more I rode it, the looser and more broken in it got, and the more comfortable it got. I'd estimate that most of the improvement probably occurred in the first 500-800 miles or so, and it's just gotten subtly nicer and more comfortable ever since.

ETA: I wear padded bibs with it. I've only ridden it in normal shorts while doing short test rides after maintenance, and never rode it far enough to get an opinion on its comfort without the padding. That said, it wasn't uncomfortable for me on those short test rides around the neighborhood.

Last edited by SethAZ; 12-24-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 08:35 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I wear bike shorts or a padded liner.

That being said, I can ride my Brooks for about an hour in regular shorts with no issues.
Old 12-24-17, 09:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I wear bike shorts with a chamois, but not necessarily padding. For the B-66 saddle on my commuter, I wear street clothes.
Old 12-24-17, 09:12 PM
swiftycoop

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Specialized Alibi Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all very much! I will pay close attention to the tilt and experiment with tilt and fore/aft. I guess a pair of bike shorts wouldn't be a bad idea either. Thanks again!
Old 12-24-17, 10:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The idea with the chamois was that the fabric of your shorts would rub not against skin, but against leather, when the inevitable rubbing did occur. So the hot spots would be on the chamois, not your (less tough than leather) skin, so you wouldn't get saddle sores. The fabric would move relative to your skin, but the chamois would not .... not wear, no blister, no infection ..... Nothing to do with padding.

Personally I like a little padding. I can run lightweight saddles with more comfort that way. And with me being 80 lbs. overweight, saving 80 grams on the saddle really matters.
Old 12-25-17, 10:22 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
cargo shorts and regular underwear. gentle upward tilt of the nose. the most i have ridden in a day in this getup is 94 miles. it was on a fully loaded tour. i felt fine after. they arent for everyone but they sure work for me.
Old 12-25-17, 10:25 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once they are broken in it doesn't matter.
Old 12-25-17, 10:53 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, they're uncomfortable.

So what? They're beautiful. And you have to be prepared to suffer for art.
Old 12-25-17, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used 3 pair of 'shammy' lined but not padded bike shorts on my long bike tours to put a clean pair on daily..

and used a Brooks Team Pro I have had for 30 years..
Old 12-25-17, 11:01 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I've never owned padded shorts. I ride in swimtrunks or other two-layer synthetics that act like blisters. I've mostly ridden Brooks B-17s the past decade. This year I rode 3800 miles, with a mix of rides up to 100 miles, and a typical ride probably being about 30 miles, over gravel, pavement, limestone, and dirt singletrack.
Old 12-25-17, 11:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I broke in a Brooks saddle once ... I don't remember what model it was. I mostly wore tight-ish blue jeans over cotton briefs while riding, and I couldn't say how long it took before that thing got comfortable because it happened about fifty years ago.

Anyway, it couldn't have been that bad or I'd have quit riding.
Old 12-26-17, 02:35 AM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My idea of riding bike is at least I can ride bike comfortable without biking gears (except helmet).

You really don't need to wears padded short all the time.

I save it for specific events such club race, long ride touring or specific training that demands good fits too became fast blah blah.

Basically, if I can't ride it without bike shorts, something is dead wrong.