Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What roads and routes would you recommend for riding in Montana?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 08:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My wife and I plan to visit Montana in July. She will be driving our van and supporting me riding my bikes like what we did cross country in 2016.

Will have both my road bike and gravel bike so both paved and dirt roads are options. I definitely plan to take in the road to the sun.

What would you recommend?

I’ve downloaded the state map showing shoulders and there look to be a number of options for the major roads including the interstates. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 02-19-18, 08:56 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't really help you with the routes, as I've never been there. But coincidentally, my wife and I will also be there in July doing a supported tandem tour in Glacier. Really looking forward to it!
Old 02-20-18, 08:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
You might have better luck in the regional forum.

I think only six people live in Montana so the odds of one of them being a member here ... I am sure you have done many forums, Montana bike clubs, state tourism bureau and so forth.
Old 02-20-18, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I did this self-contained last year:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23235312

As you can see, it included a ride up and back down the west side of Going to the Sun Rd. Note that, based on snow fall this winter, GTS may not open until July. Also some of the Olympian Trail (unpaved) and a short, unpaved pass in ID. A few other section of dirt, including one heading toward Glacier N.P. If you ride to the park you should definitely go the way I did because there is a section of U.S. between Columbia Falls and Hungry Horse with heavy traffic (including trucks) and no shoulder.

Since you will have transportation, you might also consider adding the Route of the Hiawatha Trail, the east end of which is about 5 miles from Lookout Pass on the border with ID.

Every inch of interstate highway in Montana is open to cycling. Sometimes, it's the only way to get between two points.

Two years ago I did this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14890942

Melrose to Twin Bridges is virtually all dirt, some of which is rugged. But it's a great ride. Just watch out for free range cattle. Rock Creek Rd. (starting at mile 454.5) is a hidden gem. 30 miles of dirt and another 10 miles of pavement along a blue ribbon trout stream. Frequent moose sightings.

Another option is to turn left onto MT 38 when descending from Georgetown Lake. Once you pass Gem Mountain, a fun place where you can buy buckets of dirt and pan for sapphires, the road become unpaved for most of way to Skalkaho Pass. The descent is unpaved for a few miles and passes by a dramatic waterfall. Pavement picks up not long after that. The road is driveable, so your wife can follow. Once in Hamilton, you can ride all the way to Missoula on a bike trail.
Old 02-20-18, 02:27 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Adventure Cycling runs several rides in Montana. I've done two and LOVED them both.
Here's a bunch of strava links for a day by day of the routes
https://www.strava.com/activities/1043357272
https://www.strava.com/activities/1046340782
https://www.strava.com/activities/1046340585
https://www.strava.com/activities/1047747491
https://www.strava.com/activities/1049477620
https://www.strava.com/activities/1050810715
Old 02-20-18, 03:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cccorlew
Adventure Cycling runs several rides in Montana. I've done two and LOVED them both.
Here's a bunch of strava links for a day by day of the routes
https://www.strava.com/activities/1046340585
You got robbed by going around on MT 43 to Wise River, or did you do choose that as an option? Wisdom to Big Hole Pass then over the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway to Wise River is the bomb. That's the way Cycle Montana generally goes when it does that route, although they usually stay in Jackson instead of mosquito-infested Wisdom. (Jackson is usually better, but not by a whole lot.) Was that not an option because of the closure of Jackson Hot Springs? Even if that was the case, did ACA not let you do Big Hole and the Byway? Inquiring minds wants to know. I have done that portion three times since 2011 and love it. In 2014 I got rained, sleeted and snowed on coming down from the summit of the Byway, which tops out at nearly 8,000'. In 2016 I ended up camping with the tour in Phillipsburg after I spent the night in Butte. Low and behold, three participants from 2010's Cycle Vermont back were on that tour. The leader of Cycle Montana that year had also been on Cycle Vermont in 2010. Small world.

A view from atop Big Hole Pass, the alpine meadow section of the Byway and the Wise River heading towards town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
27396215464_bd3f1a39b0_k.jpg (1.03 MB, 90 views)
27736049410_fc1b7311e9_k.jpg (1.21 MB, 90 views)
27402607074_c60ab497b7_k.jpg (1.14 MB, 92 views)
Old 02-20-18, 07:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Here are some pics from a 2 day, mostly dirt ride - Kalispell to Hot Springs and return via a partially different route. Early Sept 2016.
Attached Images
Cino1.jpg (467.8 KB, 83 views)
IMG_4929[1].jpg (220.8 KB, 82 views)
mt goats.jpg (755.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-20-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

If you are really intrepid and want some dirt action, Gibbons Pass out of Sula is a challenging climb west to east. It was the original way over the mountains but has since been replaced by U.S. 93 and MT 43. The west slope is not really maintained much and is narrow in places. The east slope is tame grade wise and maintained for recreational traffic, not that you will encounter much traffic. This photo is looking back down the west slope. The lens angle makes the dropoff look less steep than it is. After a near fall I started riding on the inside track. One oldtimer with a high clearance truck and the cliche dog in the front seat passed me on the way up when there was enough room for me to pull over.
Attached Images
IMG_1951.jpg (1.13 MB, 76 views)
Old 02-21-18, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

And not you plan your vacation, but a classic stretch would be Missoula south via the trail to Hamilton, then U.S. 93 for bit south of the center of Hamilton to MT 38 to Sleeping Child Road and then Old Darby Road (about 8 miles of scenic, easy dirt) to Darby, where there is cheap motel (but mot much else to do in town). From there, U.S. 93 to Lost Trail Pass at the border with ID then 3 or so miles up MT 43 to Chief Joseph Pass (Gibbons Pass mentioned above as the alternative to Lost Trail and Chief Joseph). After that, there is a long, mostly gradual descent to the town of Wisdom, where there is a motel and good eats. You pass the Chief Joseph Battlefield site about 8 miles outside of Wisdom. From there, MT 278 through Jackson and over Big Hole Pass. Great descent of about 7 miles then left onto the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway all the way to Wise River, where there are more good eats and some rooms at the Wise River Club. Head east on MT 43 to I-15 and take the frontage road to Melrose (There is also a motel and restaurant there.) Then either the dirt road to Twin Bridges or the frontage road to Dillon, where there is lodging, plenty of food and outlet stores if the wife likes to shop. Dillon to Twin Bridges via MT 41 is a bit hairy since there is no shoulder part of the way, but it takes you right by the famous Beaverhead Rock. From Twin Bridges, take MT 287 south through historic Virginia City (great ice cream made before your eyes) and then up the hill where you then start a long and at times blistering descent into the Madison Valley at Ennis. I can give you ideas from there if you are interested.

One view from Old Darby Rd. and the view of the Madison Range of the Rockies descending to Ennis. (Thanks to higher than normal temperatures, those mountains were not snow covered like they should have been during that time of year.)
Attached Images
27396112384_b6b72c8df5_k.jpg (1.06 MB, 64 views)
27938438301_b42b6b4368_k.jpg (1,002.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-21-18, 01:09 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You got robbed by going around on MT 43 to Wise River, or did you do choose that as an option?
They did have to change the route because the hot springs closed. But robbed? I had a great time. If thi sis being robbed I hope to be robbed often!

This was the second Cycle Montana we did. The other in 2010 had a different route that I MAY have enjoyed a bit more. But this was fun and the people were a delight. It was pre-strava so I don't have online routes. I do have a Blurb book with photos
Blurb Books
If you get Adventure Cycling ads and such you may recognize a few.
Old 02-21-18, 01:30 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cccorlew
They did have to change the route because the hot springs closed.

I guess they didn't want everyone to have to do an 80 mile day with two climbs, which is what Wisdom to Wise River via the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway is. The additional 18 miles from Wisdom to Jackson is ever so lightly up hill, and the wind can be a factor. That could have been a key factor. Stayed in Jackson in 2016. (There is a small bunkhouse/hotel there with a small camping area.) The final stretch of the day from Wisdom was tough wind-wise. Climbing Big Hole the next morning was even windier. The final three miles is the only difficult part of that climb. At one point I got blown to a standstill and had to unclip.

I have been an ACA member since '99, when I did their unsupported Northern Tier Tour. If you ever get the chance, ride the Byway. Until the late 2000s it was unpaved. Despite being paved, it's still part of the GDMBR. The last two times I rode it I saw lots of participants in the Great Divide race. Heading south from Wise River it's something like a 26 mile climb. Don't recommend going in that direction.
Old 03-31-18, 04:28 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
A classic ride: Red Lodge over the Beartooth Pass to Cooke and beyond into Yellowstone Park. Around a 4000 ft. elevation gain and down 3000 on the Cooke City side. Much easier than it sounds. Lots of switchcbacks make the pedaling fairly easy. Elevation can hurt breathing if you are used to sea level. Spectacular scenery!
Old 04-01-18, 09:19 AM
bigsky109

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prepare for some headwind. It can get a bit windy up here. I just rode in 36MPH crosswinds the other day and thought I was going to lift off and get blown into North Dakota. Rides are great up here, low traffic, most vehicles watch out and give lee-way but the occasional close calls do happen. Animals can be a challenge...not the bears but deer.....I almost hit one the other day riding. The occasional geese...or goose can be interesting when they chase you. If you camp you may need some bear spray....LOL.....All I can say the scenery is beautiful and riding can be really good....
PS....Here is a LINK for a 66 mile ride which is a nice route. Even if you don't do the "race", scenery is very good. https://www.cascade66.com/