Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What bike component should one be wary on small carryon luggage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18, 03:34 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Maybe cassette and crankset? I donīt see any reason why road or mtb shifters, rear derailleur, front derailleur, brake calipers, or even chain should raise any alarm bells?
Old 03-30-18, 07:08 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Battery for your hidden bottom bracket motor
Old 03-30-18, 07:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
What exactly do you mean? Are you trying to turn your carry on luggage into a bike? Or are you smuggling bike parts across the border from Canadia? You can actually in many cases take full bikes with all the components onto airplanes just pack them in a box or sometimes in a bag. Batteries are a different story and you would double check into those (say for Di2 or eTap or EPS or your e-Bike) with your airline.
Old 03-30-18, 07:59 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Maybe cassette and crankset? I donīt see any reason why road or mtb shifters, rear derailleur, front derailleur, brake calipers, or even chain should raise any alarm bells?
Yeah, all of it probably will. The only bicycling relate things I've taken on carry-on is clipless pedals, and a Park Tool wrench. The first time I took the park wrench the TSA guy told me that it was too long...but after inspecting it closely...he'd let me take it. (Prior to obtaining that wrench I always carried a standard Craftsman 15mm wrench which didn't exceed length restrictions.) He asked if I had checked luggage, which I did, and he said on my return trip to put it in the checked luggage. BUT...they also are always concerned with the pedals...just because they have no clue as to what they really are. So, you're probably better off putting anything in checked luggage. I would think the cranks will be too long...like my pedal wrench was.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 03-30-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 08:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've carried saddles and derailleurs.

Old 03-31-18, 07:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Anything that looks like drugs, bombs, or weapons. Or anything you wouldn't want to give up.
Old 03-31-18, 08:19 AM
wide45
newt

Bikes: '76 Grand Prix, '90 Master TG, '90 Expert TG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velodog
Old 03-31-18, 08:59 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Why on earth would you go through the trouble of removing a crankset or cassette? I don't know why you would want to go through the trouble of removing any of those items. Maybe shifters or a rear derailleur.
Old 03-31-18, 10:03 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many humorous answers.

My experience from my trip last year in Europe, including a week long tour with (rented) bikes in Holland/Belgium.

I was carrying my bike repair tool bag (weighs a bit) in the carry-on, in case our luggage got lost and to lighten up our normal suitcase. Boarding the plane from Zurich to Hanover (prior to our tour) the safety screener removed and confiscated my needle nose pliers 'because they could be used as a stabbing weapon' (making a characteristic motion). The fact that they were selling Swiss Army knifes at the duty free didn't sway him... You don't want to get into an argument with these guys, so I waved goodbye to my 20 year old pliers and moved on.

A Brooks saddle mounted on a seatpost could be considered a tomahawk...
Old 03-31-18, 08:47 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I think smuggling 10 pairs of high end shifters and derailleurs in my small carryon luggage will be in my future as I keep finding perfectly nice 1990s bike frames in the trash with crap components.
Old 04-01-18, 07:59 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I brought chainrings through DIA in 2011, it was suggested that I check them the next time.
Old 04-01-18, 04:34 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1. Having been through screening hundreds of times, the guidelines are only that. Guidelines. When you are in the screening line your fate is in the hands of the screener. There's no appeal process and quoting their own guidelines won't help. If they don't like what your carrying, it's your choice to give it up or miss the flight. If you want to keep it, check it.

I've had to give up pedals, wrenches and other tools but at other times made it through with pocket knives, Gerbers, etc.

Their rules are generally useless and inconsistently applied. Make your decision ahead of time based on the value of the item and the cost to check it.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yeah, all of it probably will. The only bicycling relate things I've taken on carry-on is clipless pedals, and a Park Tool wrench. The first time I took the park wrench the TSA guy told me that it was too long...but after inspecting it closely...he'd let me take it. (Prior to obtaining that wrench I always carried a standard Craftsman 15mm wrench which didn't exceed length restrictions.) He asked if I had checked luggage, which I did, and he said on my return trip to put it in the checked luggage. BUT...they also are always concerned with the pedals...just because they have no clue as to what they really are. So, you're probably better off putting anything in checked luggage. I would think the cranks will be too long...like my pedal wrench was.

Dan
Old 04-02-18, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by tape2012
+1. Having been through screening hundreds of times, the guidelines are only that. Guidelines. When you are in the screening line your fate is in the hands of the screener. There's no appeal process and quoting their own guidelines won't help. If they don't like what your carrying, it's your choice to give it up or miss the flight. If you want to keep it, check it.

Their rules are generally useless and inconsistently applied. Make your decision ahead of time based on the value of the item and the cost to check it.

+1
Old 04-02-18, 09:13 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I think smuggling 10 pairs of high end shifters and derailleurs in my small carryon luggage will be in my future as I keep finding perfectly nice 1990s bike frames in the trash with crap components.
Depending on where you are going/coming from, I'd worry far more about customs than security with ten high end groupsets.
Old 04-02-18, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Dance, monkeys! Dance! P.T. Barnum was right.
Old 04-02-18, 11:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Yeah, if OP seriously needed "10 pairs of high end shifters and derailleurs" he could try this new thing called online shopping. Delivered right to his lair!
Old 04-02-18, 01:10 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I wasn't allowed to take a crankset on carry-on luggage (had to go back and have the bag checked). Haven't had any problems with shifters, chains, cassettes, tubes, etc.

(Where I live components are kinda expensive so whenever I visit the capital I make time for a small shopping trip).
Old 04-04-18, 05:49 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
It is so arbitrary!!
Shortly before the holidays, I was on a flight for business. I took to tsa, a small bike bag I was planning to carry with me on a Jan 1 holiday to a warm climate. My bag contained spare tube, self stick patches, a quick stick, park mt-1 tool and a small Lezyne pump. Explained I had travel booked, wanted to carry on my clothes bag with my bike bag inside. Tsa looked at it and said it would be ok.about 10 days later, at tsa in the same airport, same bike bag in same carry on clothes bag was a NO go! Didn't like my pump or tool. Took my bike bag back to car. Got back in tsa line, got pulled aside for extra screening.
Old 04-04-18, 06:34 PM
gvelayo

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.4 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my way to the US, I was stopped by airport security in Incheon, Korea because of a Lezyne mini tool in my carryon bag. Apparently, the lady assigned in the security xray mistook the tool as some sort of weapon. Good thing her coleague noticed that the mini tool is used for cycling.
Old 04-04-18, 06:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Anything that looks like drugs, bombs, or weapons. Or anything you wouldn't want to give up.
Yep, TSA is a bit weird. Get to the airport an hour or two early... just in case.

My biggest thing is that I have to remember to go through all the pockets of my backpack. I've had to go back and get a cardboard box to check a pocket knife and mini monkey wrench that I had forgotten about, but showed up on the X-Rays.

The silliest one.. I had a steel sculpture that I had made with a heart and steel arrow and blunt brass arrowhead. Anyway, because this steel arrow was part of the sculpture, it was considered a weapon and had to be checked. Another cardboard box piece of luggage

I'd think a right crank with chainrings would make a great weapon... although perhaps more of a defensive weapon than offensive. But, who knows. In the end, it is just a bike part.

Why not just put it in a bag and check it through?