Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Are these worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 01:18 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Are these worth anything?

I found these two bikes laying in the rain today at a junk pile of bicycles. This is the same pile where I found my old Panasonic over a year ago. Are they anything special or just low end stuff? They both appear to have Prestige tubing and are pretty light. One is missing a seat post. The other one has a seat and a post although it looks like a cheaper seat post that would be on a department store bike. This first bike a Landis bike (which i’ve never heard of) has cheap joy tech hubs but aluminum rims

Old 09-03-18, 01:20 PM
trail_monkey

The second bike has SR hubs. Laser etched on the rear hub is the word Sovos.
Old 09-03-18, 01:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey

The second bike has SR hubs. Laser etched on the rear hub is the word Sovos.
Both of these are worth a good hard look and likely saving, brazed on cable guides and forged dropouts indicate a reasonable level of quality.
Old 09-03-18, 01:24 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Might be worth fixing and selling on Craigslist, assuming not much investment is needed.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-03-18, 01:35 PM
trail_monkey

I just noticed the takara has a threaded stud in each drop out to fine tune side to side. I have never seen this before except on newer SS drop outs.
Old 09-03-18, 01:39 PM
thunderworks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably Japanese made bikes from the mid 1980's.

Something special . . .? NO.

Quality mid-level bikes though that should ride well enough to justify cleaning, tuning, riding (or flipping on the Bay or Craig's List).
Old 09-03-18, 02:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I just noticed the takara has a threaded stud in each drop out to fine tune side to side. I have never seen this before except on newer SS drop outs.
These are old school forged dropouts with axle adjusters, almost never found on "low end" the other bike has forged dropouts, just without adjusters, both frame worth cleaning up to flip or ride.
Old 09-03-18, 02:48 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

Actually quite common on nicer bikes from the 70's and 80's. These are merely threaded posts that create a stopping point for the axle when the wheel is slotted in. This differs from SS "tuggers" that exert a pulling action on the axle to tension the chain.
Old 09-03-18, 02:49 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I would take them on if I had the parts needed to complete and flip (which I do) and also the time to do so (which I don't).
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-03-18, 02:52 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I would take them on if I had the parts needed to complete and flip (which I do) and also the time to do so (which I don't).
The Takara actually has wheels that spin free, are true and do not have excessive run out, working brakes, working shifters and deraileurs. The brake hoods are trashed but I have a set of levers off of my Panasonic with brand new gum covers on them hanging on my pegboard. This bike basically needs to be cleaned, regreased, new tires and tubes (although the current ones are holding air). The bike is a gem considering the age. I just don’t have a seat post and the bolt for the seat post clamp is missing. It takes the same type of seat post clamp bolt that on the other bike but it is a little longer and it bottoms out before it makes contact. Essentially I think I could fix this bike up and make it rideable for less than 100 bucks. The tires and tubes would be the most expensive thing on the baby. Shift cables and housing are cheap. Brake pads are cheap. I might just clean it up and give it to my boy and keep my Panasonic for myself LOL.
Old 09-03-18, 02:55 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Are they worth anything?

It depends on what your goal is I suppose. If you're looking to flip and make a profit, the answer would likely be no. If that's the case, there is another forum for that.

If you would like to learn how to restore bicycles and have a solidly built good riding machine in the end, then YES, they are definitely worth something.
Old 09-03-18, 02:56 PM
trail_monkey

The Landis, it turns out, was sold locally out of a bike shop that a friend of mine used to own. The sticker is on the seat tube. I called him and he said they were a lower end bike shop bike that he sold prior to getting into the bigger brands back in the day. He said they were a decent bike but nothing of exceptionally high quality. He said the Takara he thinks was sold by a competitor of his also local. And he said those bikes were more equivalent to his mid range bikes that he was selling later on. In other words it sounds like the Takara is the better bike of the two
Old 09-03-18, 02:59 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by branko_76
Are they worth anything?

It depends on what your goal is I suppose. If you're looking to flip and make a profit, the answer would likely be no. If that's the case, there is another forum for that.

If you would like to learn how to restore bicycles and have a solidly built good riding machine in the end, then YES, they are definitely worth something.
I already did this with my Panasonic which I found in the same pile. It was in better condition than either of these two and probably higher and bike in its time than either of these two. That bike is now equipped with eight speed brifters and I cold set the rear triangle to 130 and put an eight speed cassette on along with building a new set of wheels myself laced to Shimano hubs. I put different cranks on0, a new stem, and a new set of NItto bars. This bike is now sharp although I’ve got a few hundred dollars in a bike that probably would sell for a couple hundred LOL. I am not going to do that to either of these two bikes I found today.
Old 09-03-18, 03:00 PM
merziac

The Takara actually has wheels that spin free, are true and do not have excessive run out, working brakes, working shifters and deraileurs. The brake hoods are trashed but I have a set of levers off of my Panasonic with brand new gum covers on them hanging on my pegboard. This bike basically needs to be cleaned, regreased, new tires and tubes (although the current ones are holding air). The bike is a gem considering the age. I just don’t have a seat post and the bolt for the seat post clamp is missing. It takes the same type of seat post clamp bolt that on the other bike but it is a little longer and it bottoms out before it makes contact. Essentially I think I could fix this bike up and make it rideable for less than 100 bucks. The tires and tubes would be the most expensive thing on the baby. Shift cables and housing are cheap. Brake pads are cheap. I might just clean it up and give it to my boy and keep my Panasonic for myself LOL.
The Landis is a much nicer bike and the one you should focus your efforts on. Has nice lugs and is a pretty good quality frame. Noting wrong with the Takara either, more name recognition but overall not as nice as the other. Look at the fork crown on the Landis and maybe give us some better pics of it. It's pretty nice and you don't see that level of craftsmanship on this level of bike very often.

Most if not all the parts from the Takara should fit the Landis with minimal work.
Old 09-03-18, 03:04 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by merziac
The Landis is a much nicer bike and the one you should focus your efforts on. Has nice lugs and is a pretty good quality frame. Noting wrong with the Takara either, more name recognition but overall not as nice as the other. Look at the fork crown on the Landis and maybe give us some better pics of it. It's pretty nice and you don't see that level of craftsmanship on this level of bike very often.

Most if not all the parts from the Takara should fit the Landis with minimal work.

that’s odd. I was told the opposite. But I’m not claiming that my friend knows everything and that was a long time ago. The picture of the white colored fork is from the Landis.
Old 09-03-18, 03:24 PM
merziac

that’s odd. I was told the opposite. But I’m not claiming that my friend knows everything and that was a long time ago. The picture of the white colored fork is from the Landis.
The Takara is standard quality for the era, probably stamped and formed like 1000's of others, the Landis is nicely sculpted smooth and beautiful and likely much higher quailty. Look for seams and rough finish inside and underneath each.
Old 09-03-18, 03:27 PM
trail_monkey

The Takara is standard quality for the era, probably stamped and formed like 1000's of others, the Landis is nicely sculpted smooth and beautiful and likely much higher quailty. Look for seams and rough finish inside and underneath each.
I was amazed to find the lack of lugs on the front fork of the Landis. I don’t know if that’s a bad or good sign. The Landis has a lot more paint scrapes which have surface rust on them and they are pretty considerable. I know I can steel wool the rust away but it’s going to srape the crap out of the paint so I’m not sure how to deal with this. I’ve got all the stuff here to turn one of these bikes into an awesome single speed commuter. And I’m thinking this just might be what they deserve. No gears, no derailers, just a ring on the front and a free wheel cog on the back.
Old 09-03-18, 03:42 PM
merziac

I was amazed to find the lack of lugs on the front fork of the Landis. I don’t know if that’s a bad or good sign. The Landis has a lot more paint scrapes which have surface rust on them and they are pretty considerable. I know I can steel wool the rust away but it’s going to srape the crap out of the paint so I’m not sure how to deal with this. I’ve got all the stuff here to turn one of these bikes into an awesome single speed commuter. And I’m thinking this just might be what they deserve. No gears, no derailers, just a ring on the front and a free wheel cog on the back.
This no lug design is sign of high quality on many bikes, look up early 70's Cinelli Super Corsa's and Raleigh Professional's with this style of fork crown, very elegant and very cool. On those they are Cinelli or Cinelli style "sloping" crown.

I get the ease of turning them into fixed, just don't cut off the derailleur hangers, this kills value for most of us moving forward.
Old 09-03-18, 03:47 PM
trail_monkey

This no lug design is sign of high quality on many bikes, look up early 70's Cinelli Super Corsa's and Raleigh Professional's with this style of fork crown, very elegant and very cool. On those they are Cinelli or Cinelli style "sloping" crown.

I get the ease of turning them into fixed, just don't cut off the derailleur hangers, this kills value for most of us moving forward.

what can I do about the bad paint scuffs and the surface rust without re-painting the frame? I don’t wanna make it worse and scratch the crap out of all the paint that surrounds it but I have to do something about it or the rust will keep spreading.
Old 09-03-18, 03:52 PM
merziac

what can I do about the bad paint scuffs and the surface rust without re-painting the frame? I don’t wanna make it worse and scratch the crap out of all the paint that surrounds it but I have to do something about it or the rust will keep spreading.
You can soak with rags soaked with evap-o-rust or get the gel kind that sticks, then sand or scuff and touch up with spray or brush paint, won't be perfect but if you find a good match for the paint will be ok. Can be tricky to get it good but with practice it can work.
Old 09-03-18, 04:34 PM
trail_monkey

You can soak with rags soaked with evap-o-rust or get the gel kind that sticks, then sand or scuff and touch up with spray or brush paint, won't be perfect but if you find a good match for the paint will be ok. Can be tricky to get it good but with practice it can work.
I will have to Google that stuff but I’m sure I can find some. Thank you
Old 09-03-18, 04:49 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved to Appraisals
Old 09-03-18, 05:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Are you saying these are so crappy they cannot be credible road bikes? If so you should just sell them as they are. You’ll never be happy with them so just cut your losses and get away.
Old 09-03-18, 05:06 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Road Fan

Are you saying these are so crappy they cannot be credible road bikes? If so you should just sell them as they are. You’ll never be happy with them so just cut your losses and get away.
i am saying they’re worth doing something with. I wouldn’t waste my time with a piece of junk turning it into a single speed urban commuter.
Old 09-03-18, 09:27 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

i am saying they’re worth doing something with. I wouldn’t waste my time with a piece of junk turning it into a single speed urban commuter.
Hmm, OP, I think you may be misunderstanding what the other poster was saying - he knows that these are not pieces of junk. He’s talking about your judgment that these bikes should be turned into single-speeds, and the way you said that.

I could be misunderstanding your misunderstanding , but I had a similarly puzzled reaction to your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.