Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Cycling Shoes. Help!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Cycling Shoes. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 12:25 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
C&V Cycling Shoes. Help!

I ride with clips and straps on all of my bikes, and I know a lot of you guys do to, so I can use your help on shoes.

I have been using indoor soccer sneakers because they have a smooth sole that makes it easy to spin the pedal and catch the cage and the upper has a low-profile, which makes for a nice fit in the clip. However, they are not the best answer for clips because they are soft and flexy and have ZERO ventilation, which causes me to get serious hot spots. The balls of my feet feel as though they're on fire on long rides.

I've been looking for old school, flat bottomed, hard soul, ventilated leather cycling shoes for awhile now, but its pretty impossible to find them in "normal" sizes, mostly they are really small. I do see some new ones that seem pretty good, but are fairly pricey when you throw in shipping from overseas, but I might be forced to-do it to get some comfort and support.

So what do you guys wear and what do you suggest?
Old 09-17-18, 12:38 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
this is one of those areas where it's like , why stick to an old inferior technology just for the sake of it? SPD's or eggbeaters or any other modern foot retention system is going to be light years again of clips and straps and when adjusted appropriately will not have hot spots , in addition to having other advantages like being vented and having strong non flexible soles.

Aside from that if you're dead set on recreating the 1975 Tour De France every time you ride your vintage bike I wonder if you can take a well vented leather shoe of some sort to a cobbler and have them resole it for you? I'm sure someone must of done this. That's probably the easiest way to get something to match your wool jersey and hairnet helmet Especially if ou have bigger feet (like me).

Old 09-17-18, 12:42 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Good question. I was riding Chrome truks for about a year, but they were just too hot and heavy. I also need new shoes for my bikes with clips and straps.

I used regular ventilated leather cycling shoes with cleats BITD, but as you say, they're just about impossible to find now. As you say, there's a couple companies overseas. The ones in the UK that are making 'tourist' cycling shoes from traditional leather don't use ventilation holes. Probably sensible in the UK, but that wouldn't work for me in socal -- or norcal for that matter.

I guess I could get some slot cleats from yellow jersey for my shoes with 3 holes, but they have straps and won't fit well in clips.
Old 09-17-18, 12:51 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
I bought a pair of these, though with the optional leather soles with rubber treads: https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/he...ro-cycle-shoe/
They are extremely nicely made and reasonably priced. They're not ventilated, but leather punches are cheap. You might even be able to request ventilation since these are handmade.

Here's another similar pair: https://reynolds-england.com/product...w-classic-road

Also, for regular riding either when I use my bike with spd pedals or one with clips/straps I ride with my regular Sidi Mega-wide shoes because they are super comfortable and the spd cleat is recessed enough that it doesn't catch on the pedal.

Unlike @-holiday76, I don't find a great degree of difference between riding with spds vs riding with clips/straps. I think the shoe makes all the difference. Note that I no longer use pedal-gripping cleats with clips/straps. I don't see the need for them if you're not racing.
Old 09-17-18, 12:57 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts

I use these shoes. The rubber pieces on the bottom actually unscrew.
Old 09-17-18, 01:14 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
this is one of those areas where it's like , why stick to an old inferior technology just for the sake of it?
Because it’s fun.
Old 09-17-18, 01:39 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by Aubergine

Because it’s fun.
i realize the forum we're in. I ride some antiquated stuff too because its fun, but sometimes ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Ha

Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531

I use these shoes. The rubber pieces on the bottom actually unscrew.
So what are they?

They look interesting.
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
For regular use I have a set each of Quoc Phams and R.W. Reynolds, both English. The Quocs are bit hard on my left toes on long rides for some reason, tbut I paid very little for them and they're fine for short sorties. The Renolds aren't quite as slick-looking but I can ride all day in them. For clipless I have a pair of Vittoria 1976 shoes to maintain the old-school look To me clips and clipless are pretty much equivalent - both have their pros and cons and I'll use either one depending on the bike and the mission.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 09-17-18 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-18, 01:43 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by -holiday76
i realize the forum we're in. I ride some antiquated stuff too because its fun, but sometimes ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Ha
I love clips.

They work well and I think they look cool on our bikes. I love getting comments on them from other riders and those comments are always positive.
Old 09-17-18, 01:45 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by davester
I bought a pair of these, though with the optional leather soles with rubber treads: https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/he...ro-cycle-shoe/
They are extremely nicely made and reasonably priced. They're not ventilated, but leather punches are cheap. You might even be able to request ventilation since these are handmade.

Here's another similar pair: https://reynolds-england.com/product...w-classic-road

Also, for regular riding either when I use my bike with spd pedals or one with clips/straps I ride with my regular Sidi Mega-wide shoes because they are super comfortable and the spd cleat is recessed enough that it doesn't catch on the pedal.

Unlike @-holiday76, I don't find a great degree of difference between riding with spds vs riding with clips/straps. I think the shoe makes all the difference. Note that I no longer use pedal-gripping cleats with clips/straps. I don't see the need for them if you're not racing.
Great looking shoes, thanks!
Old 09-17-18, 01:47 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
I love clips.

They work well and I think they look cool on our bikes. I love getting comments on them from other riders and those comments are always positive.
Nice.

Let us know how it works out. I still say try a cobbler!

Old 09-17-18, 01:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
You don't want something that looks like a running shoe - no big sole that flares out. These will be difficult to get into clips and straps. There are a number of shoes that are SPD compatible if you want them to be, but can be ridden with toe clips and straps. Checking Universal Cycles I see these as an example:

I rode a pair similar to these in Eroica California. Even though I normally use SPD, the cleat's recessed and doesn't get stuck in the straps.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80909
Old 09-17-18, 01:53 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
I have these and LOVE them...

https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...-spd-bike-shoe

These are nice too but don't fit as well as the Quoc Pham ones...

https://www.steel-vintage.com/vittor...c-shoes-detail
Old 09-17-18, 02:01 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
So what are they?

They look interesting.
Those shoes are Giro Republic. They come in several different colors, in different years. Mine are all black with a white patch on the back, but some of the new Black / Gum colored ones look really nice.
This is a good price:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...-shoes-11-1283

If you look at ^ those pictures, you can see the screws that hold the walking soles on. I removed them and actually put on TA cyclocross cleats, but I have also used the exact shoes with SPD, which I prefer for vintage biking.

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 09-17-18 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 02:19 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Vans

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-17-18, 02:23 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I too, ride with clips and straps. "Why?", you may ask. "Because that's the way it was when I bought it new 34 years ago. It worked then and it still works today. Besides, I still have and wear my Detto shoes". Putting clipless on a vintage bike would be akin to putting disk wheels on a Model T Ford. It may work ok but it just doesn't look right.
Jon
Old 09-17-18, 02:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
In the 80s, a friend of mine put a layer of Shoe Goo on his shoes to make cleats. He took a long tour with the shoes that way, and he said they worked great. I don't remember how he made the slots.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 02:45 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by davester

That's sensible, and a good suggestion. I think I'll follow your advice, order some UK shoes, and then head to Tandy for a leather punch.

I don't think there's any difference at all between clipless pedals and the old slot cleat + clips and straps pedal system functionally, as in how you use them. The main difference is comfort. Those straps used to dig into my feet on tough climbs. I do notice a difference if riding clips/straps with no cleats. I can't really use my whole pedal stroke. It's a small difference but it's a difference.

Hmm, Shoe Goo cleats??? I love it. I guess you could put some plastic wrap over the pedals and a blob on the shoes and go for it...
Old 09-17-18, 02:50 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
What size shoe do you require sir

Old 09-17-18, 03:05 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
What size shoe do you require sir
A 10.5 would work.
Old 09-17-18, 03:42 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I've had a few pairs over the years that I take to the swap meets and they can be a tough sell. I have a pair left that are probably a 9.5 or 10 unfortunately. I would think you could scare up a pair on one of these vintage sites or these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Roa...aedad#shpCntId

Old 09-17-18, 03:49 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I've had a few pairs over the years that I take to the swap meets and they can be a tough sell. I have a pair left that are probably a 9.5 or 10 unfortunately. I would think you could scare up a pair on one of these vintage sites or these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Roa...aedad#shpCntId
Close, but no cigar. Thank you though!

I have been eying those shoes for awhile now. They do look pretty good. They are on my short list.
Old 09-17-18, 04:52 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
I'm riding clips and straps and forty year old shoes. The part where you find the shoes is hard. Worth the trouble. If the real thing is what you want, get the real thing.
Old 09-17-18, 05:28 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by 63rickert
I'm riding clips and straps and forty year old shoes. The part where you find the shoes is hard. Worth the trouble. If the real thing is what you want, get the real thing.
Good advice.

I love riding clips, but I've been jerking around for to long on getting the right shoes. I think its time to get some proper shoes so I can really get the most out of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.