Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 09:18 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts

so do you buy beer or beverages for your local lbs/mechanic? if so, what do you tend to bring over?
i usually try for a six-pack mixer of at least two different beers-a lager and an ale-if current reefer/fridge inventory
allows for it. sometimes it's just straight lager(s) or ipa's.
Old 01-08-19, 09:23 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I would suggest you ask...not everyone drinks or enjoys beer.
Old 01-08-19, 09:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
I don't
Old 01-08-19, 09:34 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Pizza.
Wife’s Almost World Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Gift cards for the coffee shop next door.
More pizza.
More coffee.

-Kedosto
Old 01-08-19, 09:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I do but it’s cofee and doughnuts.
Old 01-08-19, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I will sometimes buy beer for co-workers or will share various candy. I would ask your LBS employee what they like though because I have co-workers that don't drink a drop or like me rarely drink.

Thank you for buying stuff for folks like us. We generally try and work hard to get your bike in order.
Old 01-08-19, 10:46 PM
fastfour

Bikes: '18 Specialized Diverge '19 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tip my mechanic with cash. He does an amazing job and gets me out of jams quickly.
Old 01-08-19, 11:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I got my internal cabling replaced for a bottle of Scotch whisky. No waiting, would you imagine?
Old 01-09-19, 12:03 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have followed my mechanic for 23 years. I was 220 and he was the first guy who built a wheel that lasted more than 2,000 miles back in the late 90's. Great mechanic and finally opened his own store a few years ago. I don't deal with mechanics much at all now that I build my own wheels and bikes. But if something ever stumps me, this guy can do it or has seen it, heck he might have even invented it.

I have taken treats before when he has worked on my bikes. Few months ago I stopped in to say hi and took him a couple of sandwiches from a nearby deli. Cool dude and if I need anything, he drops what he's doing and hooks me up!

Once I walked into his shop, he dropped the job he was working on, rebuilt my rear tandem hub right there on the spot and only charged me $10!
Old 01-09-19, 04:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
No I don't, I work on my own bikes. I avoid LBS unless I need parts or if I plan on purchasing a new bike. Bike shops are just like any other business out there and I don't feel any obligation to give them special treatment.
Old 01-09-19, 04:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
so do you buy beer or beverages for your local lbs/mechanic? if so, what do you tend to bring over?
i usually try for a six-pack mixer of at least two different beers-a lager and an ale-if current reefer/fridge inventory
allows for it. sometimes it's just straight lager(s) or ipa's.
Originally Posted by fastfour
I tip my mechanic with cash. He does an amazing job and gets me out of jams quickly.
I too have such mechanics at my LBS, and I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Tip your LBS

Personally, I think tipping in anything but cash is condescending. As described above, I have a congenial, but respectful relation with all the mechanics at my shop, but I don’t think any of us have intentions to be “buddies,” and share some brews, bourbon, doughnuts, or whatever; or even know their preferences.

Imagine offering a non-cash tip to those workers who are traditionally tipped in cash…waiters, hotel bellmen, cabbies, hairstylists…For me, my bike mechanics provide a vital service that I think about for example when hurtling down a steep hill, secure that the bike won't fall apart.
Every Christmas I receive a lot of candy as a gift from our staff, with whom I have a continuous daily eight hour relationship. Our professional corporate gifts to them, besides a Christmas dinner, is cash.

PS: I actually don't eat the Christmas candy myself, but bring it home for the family gatherings at Christmas time.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-09-19 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 01-09-19, 04:50 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Zit cream and a book on how to fix bicycles - for beginners.
Old 01-09-19, 06:10 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I have been on the receiving end when working in the bike shop. Always appreciated but never expected..

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 01-21-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
I have bought cases, but not in a while.

Going to get one for a LBS that has been good to me over the years. Free stuff, and they do things like walk my boxed bike around the corner to the FedEx/Kinko's store when I ship with BikeFlights.
Old 01-09-19, 08:20 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Are they doing something for a reduced or free rate for me, or in some way going well out of their way to service me? Are you staying late to squeeze my work in? Moving me to the front of the service line? Are you going well above and beyond to address me specifically? In that case, I would consider it if the situation called for it.

In general? No. Its a business transaction, you do the work, I pay you, like any of the other numerous business transactions I do on a daily basis. I've personally never understood this necessity of friendship that people will put into their local hobby shops. I stop at my local McDonalds every morning for a breakfast sandwich on my way to work, I know the folks at the counter as well as I know my LBS employees, and I don't think a single person here would think it normal for me to drop off a six pack for them as thanks for their work.
Old 01-09-19, 08:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

That's just depressing. Fast food, having some of the highest turnover of any industry, means the face in the drive-thru window quite likely won't be the same after even 3 months. I've known the head mechanic and a couple of the managers at my LBS for over 18 years. It's a family shop. I drop in during rides at least 2-3 times a month, if just to hang out for a bit. I also buy a whole lot of stuff there, because I don't want it to ever go away.
Old 01-09-19, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by fastfour
same here!

side note: just before Thanksgiving while my Mech was replacing a spoke & truing a wheel for me, he turned off the "open" sign & shared shots of Limoncello & pear liquor with me & his elderly Mom!
Old 01-09-19, 08:54 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That's just depressing. Fast food, having some of the highest turnover of any industry, means the face in the drive-thru window quite likely won't be the same after even 3 months. I've known the head mechanic and a couple of the managers at my LBS for over 18 years. It's a family shop. I drop in during rides at least 2-3 times a month, if just to hang out for a bit. I also buy a whole lot of stuff there, because I don't want it to ever go away.
The three years I worked at my last job, it was more or less the same people every morning at that McDonalds. I have been at my new job for over a year now, and same thing. I'm sure long term well paid mechanics are a thing in some shops, but many near me aren't all that different than fast food: high school and college kids working summer jobs.
Old 01-09-19, 09:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Well, this is SoCal. The hand coming out of the drive-thru window, I may never see more than once. Our closest McDonald's has changed ownership at least 4 times in 10 years. The employees? Well, they have nametags printed on a label maker, if that's any indicator.
Old 01-09-19, 09:08 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just bring money. That always seems to work just fine.
Old 01-09-19, 09:12 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
People actually tip/buy drinks for employees of their LBS? Really? I had no idea this is was a thing.
I agree with @jefnvk. The LBS has a price for a service, I pay it. End of story. I also don't tip the people who sold me my shoes, or my pants. I don't tip my auto mechanic either.
Old 01-09-19, 09:20 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I took a can of Coors once and got yelled at......"F that Shiit....IPAs"
Old 01-09-19, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Doing something nice in return for extraordinary treatment is a nice gesture and can result in continued extraordinary treatment. I'm talking about things like emergency service on the spot. Free and/or discounted parts and/or labor.

As I noted above, I use a shop to pack my bike, racks and other stuff when I head out west for tours. I ship via FedEx purchased through Bikeflights. I pay to have the bike, etc., boxed. The charge does not include dropping off the bike for shipment, but my LBS does that for me free of charge even though it could say "We'll let you know when it's done so you can make a second trip to the shop and take the box to be shipped." I think that's worth beer. But then again, I don't look at all commercial interactions from a strictly monetary point of view. It's part of what makes me human.
Old 01-09-19, 09:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd be embarrassed to admit that I can't do my own bike repair. Never had a local shop make a repair.
Old 01-09-19, 09:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
same here!

side note: just before Thanksgiving while my Mech was replacing a spoke & truing a wheel for me, he turned off the "open" sign & shared shots of Limoncello & pear liquor with me & his elderly Mom!
One shop I frequented before it moved would serve beers one evening around the holidays. One time my ex-GF locked up a bike in the house and then lost the key. One of the shop's mechanics stopped by the house after work with cutters and cut the cable. She gave him $20. He said it he'd put it in the shop's beer fund.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.