Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Natchez Parkway Camping Question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-21-19, 02:25 PM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So recently I was able to purchase my first touring bike and have been working on finishing acquiring the necessary gear to do some self-supported tours. I've been planning to do a little two night trip to a couple of State Parks but my plans have had to change. Now I need to go to Nashville to see my parents who are experiencing some health issues. While there I'm now thinking I slip away for an overnight trip down the Natchez Trace.

Has anyone camped at the bicycle only campground on Highway 50 around Milepost 408? The NPS site seems to give pretty directions to the location, guess I'm wondering if it is clearly signed where the camping area is and are restrooms and water? Just wanting to get an idea of what to expect before I get there.

Any information/heads up on the route would be great. I'll be jumping on the parkway at the Northern Terminus, near the Loveless Cafe...which is less than 10 miles from my sister's neighborhood...doesn't look like a bad ride to that point.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, help, advice, etc...
Old 03-21-19, 03:10 PM
mrveloman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I camped there 2 years ago. It was not marked well. It is actually tucked behind a horse trailer parking lot. Easy to get to though. I think there might be water there but no restroom. There is a rest room 0.3 mile away at the Gordon House. As I recall the campground is on the northwest corner of Hwy 50 and the Trace and the restroom at Gordon House is on the Trace on the other side of Hwy 50.

mike
Old 03-21-19, 06:14 PM
blowboat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Mike!
Old 03-21-19, 06:27 PM
mrveloman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is no water at the campsite, there is water at the Gordon House restroom
Old 03-21-19, 08:44 PM
blowboat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, ok...thanks.