Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zefal Mini Pumps

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zefal Mini Pumps

Old 05-06-19, 04:45 PM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Zefal Mini Pumps

Air Profil Micro, Air Profil XL, Air Profil FC02...any users here of any of these? Are they good road bike mini pumps to bring on long rides? Would like to hear some personal experiences if they’re durable and capable of getting good enough tire pressure in case of flats. I’ve checked online and seen only a few reviews on these, mostly on the Micro. The Air Profil FC03 got good reviews, but it is not currently available where i’m from.
Old 05-06-19, 05:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I have a Topeak Race rocket mini pump and have had to use it 2-3 times. Takes about 150 strokes to get a 25 tire up to pressure but for once every year or two, I'm good with that. No reliability issues so far. It has a short retractable hose, which is much easier to use than the ones that screw directly to the valve.
Old 05-06-19, 07:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I haven't used any of the specific models in question, but I don't think that any pump manufacturer is working with significantly different tech/physics - in other words, they all suck.

Like Ogsarg, I think that models with hoses are much easier to use - all of these mini-pumps are going to require significant force when you're getting to the higher PSIs and having the hose gives you some fudge-factor so that it's harder to inadvertently rip off your valve stem as you furiously pump away.

The Profil FC02 looks much like the Lezyne mini-pump that I have, though it extends further - that might cut down on the number of strokes, but it's still going to have the same basic limitations. I mean, it works, but it takes some time and effort. Also, because the straight handle can dig in to your palm, if/when I buy another mini-pump, a rotating, T-type handle would be high on the priority list.

Having a little fold out stand/toe clip would be nice, too, so that you can push against the ground rather than solely relying on your arms, but this will usually increase the size a bit. If I were still running tubes, this feature would be pretty important, but because I'd use it so infrequently, a smaller form factor might be more appealing.
Old 05-06-19, 07:35 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I recommend a mini-pump with a flexible hose that screws on to the valve (like the Air Profil FC02). The flexible hose allows you to position the pump for the most comfort.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-06-19, 11:27 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I haven't used any of the specific models in question, but I don't think that any pump manufacturer is working with significantly different tech/physics - in other words, they all suck.

Like Ogsarg, I think that models with hoses are much easier to use - all of these mini-pumps are going to require significant force when you're getting to the higher PSIs and having the hose gives you some fudge-factor so that it's harder to inadvertently rip off your valve stem as you furiously pump away.

The Profil FC02 looks much like the Lezyne mini-pump that I have, though it extends further - that might cut down on the number of strokes, but it's still going to have the same basic limitations. I mean, it works, but it takes some time and effort. Also, because the straight handle can dig in to your palm, if/when I buy another mini-pump, a rotating, T-type handle would be high on the priority list.

Having a little fold out stand/toe clip would be nice, too, so that you can push against the ground rather than solely relying on your arms, but this will usually increase the size a bit. If I were still running tubes, this feature would be pretty important, but because I'd use it so infrequently, a smaller form factor might be more appealing.
Pumping is all physics as you say. For a road bike/high pressure you should get a long but slim pump, like a Racerocket HPX, or what ever similar model other manufacturers carry. Much better than a short, thick model.
Old 05-07-19, 11:10 AM
iamLefty

Like Ogsarg, I think that models with hoses are much easier to use - all of these mini-pumps are going to require significant force when you'r getting to the higher PSIs and having the hose gives you some fudge-factor so that it's harder to inadvertently rip off your valve stem as you furiously pump away.

One thing that worries me though is the valve core getting accidentally removed by these screw-on type heads, though i’ve read you can tighten valves with pliers. All the mini pump i’ve used were those thumb lever types. These Zefal pumps are my first options coz they’re readily available where i’m from. There are some i can buy online locally, the Fabric Nanobar and the Birzman Swift, both with hoses. There’s also some from Park Tool, Pocket Protector, the Half Pint Mini but i think that’s like 10.5 or 11 inches long and only has 90 psi max. Both have foldable handles. I was looking for the Topeak Micro Rocket but there’s none here, buying it from ebay or amazon means double the price with the shipping so that’s not an option for me. Lezynes are too pricey for me.

Right now, it’s any of those Zefal pumps, Fabric Nanobar, or Birzman Swift. Birzman Swift looks nice and durable.

Last edited by iamLefty; 05-07-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 11:20 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by tyrion
I recommend a mini-pump with a flexible hose that screws on to the valve (like the Air Profil FC02). The flexible hose allows you to position the pump for the most comfort.
Thanks.
Old 05-07-19, 11:23 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Pumping is all physics as you say. For a road bike/high pressure you should get a long but slim pump, like a Racerocket HPX, or what ever similar model other manufacturers carry. Much better than a short, thick model.
No Racerocket HPX available here, none from all my searches. If only there’s a Zefal HPX, i’d get it.
Old 05-07-19, 11:40 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts

I use this one, the standard Air Profil. I've used the same one for 6 years on my commuter mountain bike. Zero issues with durability and reliability. Works perfect every time, no leaking air, no problems. It takes a lot of pumping to fill a tire. I had never used it on a road bike tire until this week. 6 year old pump, stored on my bike, and it aired up two 700x25 tires to 90 psi just fine, albeit with a whole lot of pumping. It says it is rated to 116 psi, I think that would be very difficult to make happen.
Old 05-07-19, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Definitely.
Old 05-07-19, 12:37 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
No Racerocket HPX available here, none from all my searches. If only there’s a Zefal HPX, i’d get it.
Zefal HPX is a frame pump, not a mini. Race rocket HPX is from Topeak. Its a mini that can sit by the bottle cage. Im sure you can find a store that will ship to where ever you are.
Old 05-07-19, 01:01 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I use this one, the standard Air Profil. I've used the same one for 6 years on my commuter mountain bike. Zero issues with durability and reliability. Works perfect every time, no leaking air, no problems. It takes a lot of pumping to fill a tire. I had never used it on a road bike tire until this week. 6 year old pump, stored on my bike, and it aired up two 700x25 tires to 90 psi just fine, albeit with a whole lot of pumping. It says it is rated to 116 psi, I think that would be very difficult to make happen.
Wow, i wish all mini pumps are that durable. That looks exactly like the XL, same length too, except that the XL is telescopic and says it can do up to 130 psi. One thing that worries me abt the XL is it’s durability. I read a review, i think it’s on roadcc, that there’s already some play after just a few uses.
Likes For iamLefty:
Old 05-10-19, 06:45 PM
iamLefty

Found a Lezyne Pressure Drive(small) and Topeak Racerocket HP available online locally. I’ll just get one of those two. Anyway, i emailed Zefal and here’s what they said:

“ The FC02 has a 18mm piston diameter (the same as Air Profil Micro and XL). Depending on your strength, it may be enough to inflate to 6~7 bar (with equivalent diameter, the pumps with flexible hoses may be a bit harder at high pressures than direct connection ones).”
Old 05-12-19, 12:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, the Topeak Race Rocket HP. I've had one for about 3 years and have used it often on four bikes, including my hybrids. The ergonomics are very good, soft grips, rounded ends, flexible hose, smooth pumping. Sure seems durable. And versatile, with a convertible screw-on chuck for Presta or Schrader. Costs around $25 and a bargain at that price.

The longer HPX might be a bit better but the HP fits in any pocket. The main improvement might be a better valve core tool. The tool that came with mine is soft plastic, useless.

The Blackburn Core Slim is also good. It's longer like the Topeak Race Rocket HPX, and needs somewhat fewer pumps to fill a high pressure road bike tire. Presta only. Has a useful metal valve core tool. Mostly comparable to the Topeak Race Rocket HP but with mediocre ergonomics. No rubber grip, and the ends are hard with sharp edges. That stuff matters after about 75-100 strokes when pumping pressure gets more difficult. I paid only $15 for the Blackburn so I have no real complaints -- it was a dealer sample, but unused, still in original packaging. I guess the shop decided to stick with Topeak.

I tried the Lezyne mini-pumps but some models seemed fussy to assemble. The ergonomics were about the same as the Blackburn -- hard ends, sharp edges, not much to grip. Prettier, maybe, but the Topeak is easier to actually use.

Regarding threaded chucks messing up valve cores, that's happened maybe once. I had a slow leak on a hybrid with Schrader valve tubes. Couldn't figure it out but a mechanic at the LBS spotted the problem right away. But I don't know for sure that the threaded chucks on my mini-pumps were at fault. I typically use my Nashbar floor pump with clamp-on chuck at home. This was a new tube, so I doubt I'd have used the mini-pump on it when that slow leak occurred.

Since then I try to remember to tighten valve cores on new tubes before installing them.
Old 05-12-19, 07:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The valve core issues are, I think, mostly a problem with the screw-on hoses that don't have an air bleed (I assume that the pressure inside the hose is pressing the hose/valve core threads together with enough force that the valve core unscrews from the stem, instead). My Lezyne has unscrewed cores on me a few times - it's really deflating (har har) when it happens because you've just spent the time and effort to get the damn tire up to pressure and now you're got to start over. In any event, it was problematic enough that Lezyne introduced the new hoses with an air bleed button.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-12-19, 07:37 AM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have had a Topeak Micro Carbon Rocket pump for years. It works great but you do have to maintain great position and posture while using it and it will only get you to 65-75 psi then you need a bike shop top off or something to get you to your proper psi (for me it's 90/85) My next jersey pocket pump will be a Lezyne Carbon Road drive with hose.Higher psi with less strokes and a hose for better ergonomics.
Old 05-12-19, 02:46 PM
iamLefty

The valve core issues are, I think, mostly a problem with the screw-on hoses that don't have an air bleed (I assume that the pressure inside the hose is pressing the hose/valve core threads together with enough force that the valve core unscrews from the stem, instead). My Lezyne has unscrewed cores on me a few times - it's really deflating (har har) when it happens because you've just spent the time and effort to get the damn tire up to pressure and now you're got to start over. In any event, it was problematic enough that Lezyne introduced the new hoses with an air bleed button.
The air bleed and the integrated valve core tool is what makes me lean toward the Lezyne Pressure Drive despite it being smaller at 170mm. If only the valve core tool of Race Rocket HP is useful though, i would choose it coz it’s a bit bigger and i like its looks better. In terms of peeformance, according to reviews i’ve read, they’re both good. So i guess you can’t go wrong with either. Anyone knows the Race Rocket’s piston’s diameter? Pressure Drive is 17mm for medium, 20mm for small.
Old 05-27-19, 02:19 PM
iamLefty

Settled with Lezyne Pressure Drive. Ticked off all the boxes except one. I thought mine has the integrated valve core tool, this is what sold me to buy this over the Topeak RaceRocket HP. It didn’t, so a bit disappointed. Still, very satisfied as the Pressure Drive has air bleed, looks very durable, is reliable and is a great looking piece of tool. I got the small blue one.

Last edited by iamLefty; 05-27-19 at 02:28 PM.