Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gert Lush

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 07:50 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Gert Lush

I rode the Gert Lush a couple of weeks back, and thought I'd put up a quick post - I know @MiloFrance was interested because of the location, and thought a few others might be as well.

To start with I've no photos unfortunately. I started Strava, went to put my phone in my back pocket, and missed completely. Phone dropped straight onto a kerb with an expensive sounding crack. For those who'd like to see photos there's a good selection at https://www.grahamwattsphoto.com/

Anyhow, the ride was very well organized, good signage, and a really nice route. I've lived in this part of Somerset for 20 years now, and the route went over roads I've never ridden on.

The range of bikes was great; plenty of classic racing machines, quite a few tandems, and even a few modern bikes. I roder the ANC Halfords Peugeot that blended in nicely. There was no snobbishness at all from the organizers, or any of the entrants, it was a case of turn up on a bike and enjoy yourself. There was no holding on at the start either waiting for a lengthy safety briefing, just "Ride safely, come back in one piece, have fun, off you go".

That attitude was picked up by the riders; it was one of the nicest and most friendly crowds I've ridden in at any event, and I didn't see any of the aggressive riding that a minority of entrants in normal sportives produce.

Highlights on the route were the Gert Lunch break - it was tea and sandwiches in a bunting bedecked village hall with the helpers in 1940s costume and someone playing a piano - and a choir at the end of one of the off road sections. The stand out moment was the guy in tweeds and a bowler hat riding a sit up and beg delivery bike flying past on a descent, no doubt fuelled by the tins of Thatchers bouncing around in the basket.

All in all it was a grand day out; the sun shone and the organizers clearly put in a lot of effort that I'm sure was appreciated by the riders. Hopefully it'll be back for next year.
Old 06-05-19, 10:01 AM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Fantastic, thank you. I'll be trying to organise my work around it next year!