Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifters for Travel Bike using Easy Split Connectors?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 05:14 AM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am looking to convert an old road frame to a travel bike with S&S connectors. I am giving some thought as to the type of shifting which would work best on a bike that will be uncoupled in the middle and loaded in a car trunk. My thought is that Brifters (modern Ergo Shifters) may be a PITA since when I reassemble the bike the shifting may be off due to minor changes in cable length even using something like Easy Split Connectors.

My question is would the older notched index shifting system work better with the Easy Split; when I say better I mean when I reconnect would the shifting be out adjustment due to the slight change in the cable length?

Or is friction shifting the best way to go if I am going to use something like Easy Splits, since there is no indexing to be off when the cables are reconnected?

I kind of would like to use index but I am not sure if that is going to be any better from a shifting standpoint than the modern brifters. Any thoughts experience with these would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-19, 05:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I had an S&S coupled Co-Motion single bike with 9-speed Shimano STIs and the equivalent of the Easy-Split cable splitters on the rear shift and brake cables. Each time after reassembly of the splitters, shifting was always spot-on and needed no adjustment. Use them with confidence.
Old 06-10-19, 11:29 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I had an S&S coupled Co-Motion single bike with 9-speed Shimano STIs and the equivalent of the Easy-Split cable splitters on the rear shift and brake cables. Each time after reassembly of the splitters, shifting was always spot-on and needed no adjustment. Use them with confidence.

This - I'm continually amazed that shifting has been dead on with no adjustment required after 5 airline trips and my Breakaway Cross.
Old 06-10-19, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My touring bikes have been about robust simplicity , friction bar end shifted freewheel drive train..

In shipping Bene Sugg ; remove the RD, so bumping in transit, won't bend the hanger... out of alignment..
Old 06-10-19, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
My S&S coupled bike uses indexed bar-end 9-speed shifters; like HillRider, shifting is always spot-on when I assemble it right. (The second time I did start screwing the adjuster, which, not surprisingly, messed up the adjustment). The cable splitters give you a highly reproducible cable length. Use whatever shifters you want.