Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Late 80’s Pinarello Montello Questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-26-19, 10:33 PM
Yikesthedog

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. When I restored this I did not touch the original paint or decals. There is a fair bit of flaking on the decals. any ideas on how to preserve these best?
2. Looking for a recommendation on a vintage style frame pump?
3. Just curious if anyone knows why the head tube was so long on this bike?
4. Aside from the pedals and seat would this bike qualify for a l’Eroica event? Have any of you done one and was it worth it?

Old 06-26-19, 11:14 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Originally Posted by Yikesthedog
1. When I restored this I did not touch the original paint or decals. There is a fair bit of flaking on the decals. any ideas on how to preserve these best?
If they're original, I'm surprised they've lasted this long. A clear coat is probably your best bet.

I don't think they're original, to be honest. The give away is the seat tube bottle mounts - when these were employed the seat tube decal was split in two with 'Pinarello' on either side of the tube. Like this:

(I've also never seen black decals on a blue frame come out of the Pinarello factory, but perhaps they're out there.)

3. Just curious if anyone knows why the head tube was so long on this bike?
It's made for tall people.

4. Aside from the pedals and seat would this bike qualify for a l’Eroica event?
What's wrong with the saddle? Apparently aero brake levers are not allowed. Do you know what year your bike is? It might be pushing the 1987 cut off, but you could probably just say it's from 1986.

Do you know where the original fork went?

Last edited by P!N20; 06-26-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I dont understand the question regarding the length of the head tube. It doesnt look long to me- its quite traditional in length, given the frame size. There is very little length above and below the adjoining tubes. Nowadays, you can get lugs with more room above the top tube to reduce the number of spacers needed on a threadless stem. Having one such bike, its quite obvious when that style lug is used.

If you want a shorter head tube...you need a smaller bike.
Old 06-27-19, 10:18 AM
Yikesthedog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont understand the question regarding the length of the head tube. It doesnt look long to me- its quite traditional in length, given the frame size. There is very little length above and below the adjoining tubes. Nowadays, you can get lugs with more room above the top tube to reduce the number of spacers needed on a threadless stem. Having one such bike, its quite obvious when that style lug is used.

If you want a shorter head tube...you need a smaller bike.
The bike actually fits great. This is my first vintage bike and I am still educating myself . I was just curious as to how they designed frames before modern stems and spacers.
Old 06-27-19, 10:21 AM
Yikesthedog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure where the original fork went. It may have been used on another bike. I would actually like to replace this with an original. I have not been able to find one with a steerer that is long enough. Besides ebay, any idea where to look?
Old 06-27-19, 05:16 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
I am not sure where the original fork went. It may have been used on another bike. I would actually like to replace this with an original. I have not been able to find one with a steerer that is long enough. Besides ebay, any idea where to look?
Good luck. It took me about 12 months to find one (in Serbia of all places) and my frame is only a 56.

Ebay is your best bet, but try the European vintage bike shops - I did find one in Germany, but it wasn't quite period correct and their asking price was astronomical. Also search ebay.it for Italian only items - you'll just have to convince them to post.
Old 06-27-19, 06:47 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20

Apparently aero brake levers are not allowed. Do you know what year your bike is? It might be pushing the 1987 cut off, but you could probably just say it's from 1986....
Your rear brake cable housing will breathe easier with fewer bends in it if you convert to non-aero levers. The port for the internal run in the top tube wants to receive the housing coming down from above, not from level with the bars in the "aero" configuration. You might be in luck: I think the levers you have could be set up either aero or non-aero, being made at a time when aero hadn't totally taken over yet.
That is one huge bike. (says me who's only 5'6")
Old 06-27-19, 07:13 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
That frame is huge. Enjoy the bike. Here's mine (bought used in 1992) in size 54 (ie smallish). Your decals are definitely not original. Mine were flaking when I bought it and only got worse. I remember picking up the bike back then by the seat tube and ending up with a hand covered in black flakes
Old 06-27-19, 07:49 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
That frame is huge. Enjoy the bike. Here's mine (bought used in 1992) in size 54 (ie smallish). Your decals are definitely not original. Mine were flaking when I bought it and only got worse. I remember picking up the bike back then by the seat tube and ending up with a hand covered in black flakes
Lovely bike! Unfortunately, Pinarello's of that vintage were notorious for poor paint.

That's one reason I went with a Concorde in a PDM colour scheme with Aelle R tubing instead of a Pinarello with Cromor tubing for my first (and only so far) bike build from a shop. (I adored that Concorde and wish I never sold it.)
Old 06-28-19, 10:45 AM
Yikesthedog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am about 6'1" with very long legs and arms! The bike fits remarkably. I appreciate the advice on brake cables. My apologies on the newbie question but do "non-aero" levers basically mean the cables are not routed underneath the bar tape?

Also, I live in the mountains so the 52/42 with an 8 speed means I don't ride it as often as I would like. What are the options for better gearing while still keeping this vintage?

Last edited by Yikesthedog; 06-28-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 12:02 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 148 Posts
I am about 6'1" with very long legs and arms! The bike fits remarkably. I appreciate the advice on brake cables. My apologies on the newbie question but do "non-aero" levers basically mean the cables are not routed underneath the bar tape?

Also, I live in the mountains so the 52/42 with an 8 speed means I don't ride it as often as I would like. What are the options for better gearing while still keeping this vintage?
Nice bike - I'm building up a very similar one (size and age). You are correct in your understanding of "non-aero".

Regarding the gearing, your crankset has a 116mm bolt circle diameter (BCD), which means you can thoeretically go down to a 36t inner ring. Finding such an item may be a challenge, see this thread for that discussion.

Edit: A quick Google search shows a 37t ring in stock here. No idea about the seller.

Last edited by CO_Hoya; 06-28-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 01:37 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
If this is your first vintage bike, then I am guessing the head tube looks tall because you are used to oversize tubing found on a lot of modern bikes. Oversize tubing gives the illusion of a shorter head tube. I am 6'-4" so I am a bit sensitive to it. Sometimes the taller headtube can take away from the proportions of the bike. My opinion of course.
Regarding the fork, I think what you have looks great and finding an original that doesn't have finish or pitting issues, well, sometimes you just have to pick your battles. Be thankful the chrome on yours looks great, and do what you can to keep it that way because there is no easy (cheap) fix

Last edited by sdn40; 06-28-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 01:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have an '85 SL framed bike with fully chromed rear triangle. Measures 58X57 (ctc) with a 16cm head tube.

Mine has practically zero decals. It's a proof of authenticity for il cognoscenti.

If you find a source for replacements forks , PM me, the Tange on mine must be a track-like fork = very twitchy. But the bike tracks well no-hands with no counter-balance input.

As purchased, still a project without clear direction.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-28-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 01:54 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Trying to preserve the decals on 80's Pinarellos is just a losing battle that you will never win.
The decals literally flake off when you just look at them. I always find a bunch of little white flakes under my 88 Montello, every time I pull it out of its stand, so if I ever shot it with a time lapse camera, I should be able to see the decals flaking away while the bikes just sits parked on its stand.
Old 06-28-19, 02:17 PM
Yikesthedog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I have an '85 SL framed bike with fully chromed rear triangle. Measures 58X57 (ctc) with a 16cm head tube.

Mine has practically zero decals. It's a proof of authenticity for il cognoscenti.

If you find a source for replacements forks , PM me, the Tange on mine must be a track-like fork = very twitchy. But the bike tracks well no-hands with no counter-balance input.

As purchased, still a project without clear direction.
I vote for 2 red tires!
Old 06-28-19, 02:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
This bike has had front end damage, but rides straight. Replacement fork has too little rake, bike needs a longer front-center - not sure if a re-rake of Tange fork will be the best solution.

Tires, when I get a round tuit, will be black, already plenty of color going on. Longer term, if the front end can be modified to deliver the ride I want then tubulars and silver Italian components. No red tubulars, to my knowledge. My only frame that is full SL; thus the desire for an SL, even if not Pini, fork.