Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MKS pedal dust cap compatibility

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-27-19, 12:59 AM
noahsmonark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

it never occurred to me that the pedals on my Monark (this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...50-1960-a.html ) are missing their dust caps. I just cleaned and re-packed them after they started to get a little gritty and am now looking for replacement dust caps online.

The bike has an early 1950's Fauber one piece (!) crank and the pedals have "Made In France" written on them.

I found some MKS Sylvan dust caps online, do you reckon these would fit my pedals? Dust cap pictured below:

Old 06-27-19, 07:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Those MKS pedal dustcaps will fit a variety of other pedals, including Campagnolo, Zeus, Gipiemme, Ofmega, Kyokuto, and possibly others. But the French are notorious for doing things differently, and my experience is that they don't fit on Lyotard pedals.

I suspect you'll need to try it for yourself.
Old 06-27-19, 09:10 AM
noahsmonark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Those MKS pedal dustcaps will fit a variety of other pedals, including Campagnolo, Zeus, Gipiemme, Ofmega, Kyokuto, and possibly others. But the French are notorious for doing things differently, and my experience is that they don't fit on Lyotard pedals.

I suspect you'll need to try it for yourself.
Thanks for the input! The caps are pretty expensive so I'm trying to get a little insight before ordering a dud online. Are there any solid DIY methods available for protecting the outer bearings?

Here are my pedals pictured, in case anyone can tell just looking at these if those MKS (or another brand maybe?) caps would likely fit on these:

Old 06-27-19, 10:13 AM
Old Yeller

Bikes: 1987 Trek 1500, 1989 Pinarello Montello, 1998 Trek 7000 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your pedals appear to have male threads requiring a female threaded cap. The MKS caps are male threaded. They’re not going to work without modification
Old 06-27-19, 01:31 PM
noahsmonark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Your pedals appear to have male threads requiring a female threaded cap. The MKS caps are male threaded. They’re not going to work without modification
Alright, thanks for clearing that out. Replacing a couple of dust caps turned out to be trickier than I thought.

@JohnDThompson mentioned the name Lyotard - this is the brand of my pedals? I am peeking at some vintage cap listings, but the prices seem to be insane. Almost makes me want to start hunting for a hot sauce with the perfect cap........

Has anyone ever made a blueprint/file for 3D-printing these, I think I could do that at my local library if someone has.
Old 06-27-19, 02:40 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Someone on this list probably has some trashed Lyotard pedals with salvageable caps. I would ask on the ISO thread.
Old 06-30-19, 04:33 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
-----

From what can be seen in the images provided pedals appear to be Lyotard model 45CA

OEM dust cap would have looked like this-

You may wish to visit this discussion thread -

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=98646

-----
Old 06-30-19, 04:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by noahsmonark View Post
Alright, thanks for clearing that out. Replacing a couple of dust caps turned out to be trickier than I thought.

@JohnDThompson mentioned the name Lyotard - this is the brand of my pedals? I am peeking at some vintage cap listings, but the prices seem to be insane. Almost makes me want to start hunting for a hot sauce with the perfect cap........

Has anyone ever made a blueprint/file for 3D-printing these, I think I could do that at my local library if someone has.
It would have to be old French hot sauce.