Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Aero Bars

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Aero Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 09:04 PM
Blaise655

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero Bars

I've been cycling for about five years now, and last year I treated myself to a new bike, a Specialized Allez Elite Triple. I love it. For general use, and for racing/triathlon competition, I'm looking to add a set of clip-on aerobars to my bike. I'm looking at the Profile Design Carbon Stryke bar. Assuming they simply attach to my existing handlebars, am I all set? Do I need bar-end shifters to really take advantage of a more aerodynamic riding position? Where can you even get bar-end shifters for clip on bars like that? Can you?
Thanks.
Old 12-20-05, 10:05 AM
LBonney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you only need what you want. You will get benefits from the areo position, & the Profile bars are highly adjustable.

You'll just have to get used to moving your hand to shift. No big deal. The STI shifters are pretty nice in their own right. Plus, as you start out, you will not always be on the aero bars anyways.

have fun !!
Old 12-20-05, 10:54 AM
specialK
Run, Bike, DIE

Bikes: Giant OCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is easier if you are using your bike for triathlons and general road biking to just get a pair of clips on aero bars and forget about bar end shifters (if you are out on a hilly course where you have to shift gears often using bar ends can be a little bit of a hastle at first because they arn't right at your finger tips).
Basically, if you use bar end shifters you have to realize that you wont be able to shift from your brake levers anymore.

Profile design carbon stryke aerobars are pretty wicked, I have a pair of them myself and I can assure you that you wont have any problems with them (really adjustable!).

If you watch some of the elite ITU races and stuff you will see that they sometimes don't always use aerobars. What kind of distances are you thinking of doing?
Old 12-20-05, 11:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by specialK

If you watch some of the elite ITU races and stuff you will see that they sometimes don't always use aerobars. What kind of distances are you thinking of doing?
Yes, but ITU races are draft legal, if you're doing a triathlon where you're not allowed to draft on the bike leg, and unless it's exceptionally hilly, you'll want aerobars.

And unless you're going to dedicate this bike to nothing but triathlons, and also not do group rides with it, I'd forgoe the bar end shifters.
Old 12-20-05, 05:12 PM
zakk
106 kg of Pure Power

Bikes: 03 Fuji, 04 Cervelo Dual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is more to it then slapping on aero bars.

Once you do that, the saddle will come forward a bit. a slightly shorter stem may be in order, as well as adjusting the height and slope of the saddle.

It comes down to your body type. it may pay to have a professional bike fitting done and take measurements to go from TT to Road positions.

My TT bike and my Road bike set-ups are worlds apart.

Director of Global Expansion
Death Squad Cycling Club