Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Looking for a road bike with a more tri geometry: any other bikes besides the Soloist

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Looking for a road bike with a more tri geometry: any other bikes besides the Soloist

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 10:19 PM
anonymouse99

Bikes: Trek SU200, Trek 7300 FX (Spouse's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just completed my first tri and after having completed it on a mountain bike with slicks, averaging 18.2 mph, and being blown-by by guys on road bikes and tri bikes, I've finally surpassed my threshold for sticking with my commuter as my only bike, and will finally get a true road bike. I've found the ideal bike for me, the Cervelo Soloist Team, since I'd like to easily transition between using it as a road bike (its primary function) and a tri bike. I love its aero tubing (more like a tri bike) and don't mind that it is made out of aluminum, since I've only every ridden aluminum frames and am quite accustomed to them. My only problem is that it is the only bike that sports the dual purpose ability--at least that I've been able to find--and I find that hard to believe. There have got be other road bikes out there with the sort of geometry, or similar, that the Soloist has, that lends itself to converting itself to a forward seat and full aerobars. Basically, has anyone found great success in converting their road bike to a tri bike, and if so what bike was it? What other road bikes besides the Soloist harness this feature?

Last edited by anonymouse99; 08-01-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 06:29 AM
lomoid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road /tri hybrid?

the only other bike I found while researching is the FLET T23. it's a pretty sweet bike and built as a compromise for both styles of riding. In fact it comes with aerobars installed and feels really nice. After being fitted however I went with the CERVELO and am extremely happy with it. It's compact design just fit me better... and quite frankly just looking at the lines of the cervelo inspires me to get on it and ride.
Old 08-06-06, 08:45 AM
H2OChick
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on how far toward a tri bike you want to go... my understanding is that the bikes with compact geometry are more similiar to tri bike geometry... but there are folks here much more knowledgeable about this stuff than me...
Old 08-07-06, 08:13 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by H2OChick
Depending on how far toward a tri bike you want to go... my understanding is that the bikes with compact geometry are more similiar to tri bike geometry... but there are folks here much more knowledgeable about this stuff than me...
Compacts don't compare closer to tri geometry bikes, just as the more traditional frame doesn't. Tri geometry is more to do with a steeper seat tube angle, shorter head tube length and top tube length...
Old 08-08-06, 07:13 AM
Jstyle
Go big or go home

Bikes: Cannondale Ironman 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my Giant TCR 1T that did a decent double as a Tri bike but I went with the Cannondale Ironman after because I wanted a strictly Tri bike... I am definately not an expert in this realm though.
Old 08-08-06, 08:15 AM
audiojan
Roadie/Duathlete

Bikes: Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel Talon. Pretty aero... at least aero enough for Chris McCormick to do a sub-8 hour Ironman several times....
Old 08-09-06, 11:56 AM
LBonney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Cervelo owner I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying one. i love mine.

But- basically the Soloist is a road bike with aero tubes & a two position seat post head.

As much as you think you might, you WILL NOT change the seat post head back & forth. It is a pain in the butt. I have mine forward all of the time.

SO buy it if it fits you, I like the profile, I feel like I'm riding a razor, but the Soloist is not as unique as their marketer's want oyu to think it is.

If you do buy one & think you want both geometries, buy two seats & seatpost heads. 1 bolt changeover.

good luck
Old 08-10-06, 01:20 PM
lomoid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ditto

I double that about the cervelo seatpost. It's pretty convenient having the reversible seatpost, but you'll definitely want to get a second seat and head...