Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Required insurance?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Required insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 03:21 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Required insurance?

On another thread (which I can't find) it was stated that in South Carolina one must have auto insurance in order to get a driver's license.

I thought that this couldn't be right, so I contacted the SCDMV with the question, and got this answer:

Thank you for contacting the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. Please be assured your inquiry is very important to us.

We wish to advise you that there is a question on the driver license application where you can indicate that you do not have a vehicle registered in your name in SC. By checking that you do not have a vehicle registered in SC that waives the requirement for you to provide proof of insurance.

If you have any future inquiries regarding this matter, please provide us with the tracking number listed below.

Tracking Number: km1371907

Thank you,

Kim Mitchell
If anyone wants to know more, the e-mail is help@scdmvonline.com
Old 12-31-07, 03:23 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Um, I think it was North Carolina where people were saying you have to have insurance.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-07, 05:45 PM
jcwitte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is from North Carolina's DMV....

https://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv....html#Step%201

"3. Proof of Liability Insurance:

Proof of liability insurance includes providing insurance documents such as:

DMV form DL-123;
or an original liability insurance policy binder;
or an insurance card with: your name, policy number, issue and expiration date.
The liability insurance documents must show your name, the effective date of policy, the expiration date of the policy, and the date the policy was issued.

Even if you do not own or drive a currently registered vehicle you may still apply for a license, but a restriction will be placed on your driver license. This restriction limits you to only driving "fleet vehicles" and costs $10.00 when you are ready to remove it from your license.

For the complete description of liability insurance visit the Driver's Handbook: Chapter 1 - Requirements. "
Old 01-01-08, 01:47 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That restriction would be OK for renting cars but not driving the cars of friends or relatives. That has to be one of the stupidest regulations and restrictions ever thought up. Didn't anyone in that states legislature have a clue that some people don't own cars?

I can think of a few reasons a car free person would need a drivers license other than renting a car.
Old 01-01-08, 05:59 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
That restriction would be OK for renting cars but not driving the cars of friends or relatives. That has to be one of the stupidest regulations and restrictions ever thought up. Didn't anyone in that states legislature have a clue that some people don't own cars?

I can think of a few reasons a car free person would need a drivers license other than renting a car.
HEY! We have the best legislatures money can buy! The law was "INTENDED" to keep people from driving without insurance. Didn't work, now they don't even bother with the license By some counts nearly 1/3 of the cars on the roads in NC are either being driven with no insurance/no drivers license/no or improper registration....

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon