Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

flipped north roaders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

flipped north roaders

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 11:39 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
flipped north roaders

"The North Road handlebar is most commonly seen on English three-speed bicycles -- and usually in combination with a very short stem extension. The result is "tiller" steering -- that is, the grips are even with the steering axis or behind it. With tiller steering, controlling the bicycle with one hand off the handlebar is difficult. The cyclist's weight, and deceleration due to light braking or road bumps, make the cyclist's hand push the end of the handlebar forward. It is necessary to tense the muscles of the back to prevent turning the handlebars and losing control -- and with the entire weight of the cyclists' upper body in play, this is awkward. With a hand position farther ahead of the steering axis, the cyclist's weight, pushing forward and outward -- away from the steering axis -- tends to stabilize the bicycle. A handlebar stem with a longer extension can help solve this problem, and so can placing North Road handlebars in the drop position. If the handlebars are then too low, the stem needs to be taller as well; if too far away, a frame with shorter top tube is in order. "

From none other than Sheldon Brown's site. Who would've thought it? Flipped north road bars may actually have a non-cosmetic use!

To those who enjoy flipped North Road bars, any recommendations or favorite makes/models? Do you ever cut the longer north roaders for that small "path racer" (i use the term lightly) look?
Old 08-02-10, 02:45 AM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I looooove riding with flipped Nitto Albatross bars, which are a variation of North Roads.

Here they are with cork grips at the ends.

And here they are wrapped all the way, for more versatile hand positions.
Old 08-02-10, 06:46 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have to disagree with Sheldon for a few reasons.

First of all, the term 'tiller steering' strikes me as nonsensical. You cannot steer a bicycle the way you steer a boat; steering a boat is so completely different from steering a bicycle that it just seems a bad idea to use the same terms.

Aside from that, I find the riding position that results from high and upright Northroad bars to be the closest thing to riding no-hands; you can put both hands on the bar, you can put one hand on the bar, you can take them both off, and your back and your center of gravity stay in the same position. For this to work, the seat has to be pretty far forward, and the stem pretty short.

If you won't want to ride in that position, yes, if you can flip the bar over, which will change the rider's position radically, assuming the bike fit the rider for that classic upright riding style. In fact you may want to do this anyway, if you put a rider on a frame that's on the larger side of a good fit ("too big"), just to get the business end of the handlebar relatively low. But if the frame is on the smaller side of good fit ("too small"), you may get the same rider position with the bar in normal, upright position. So compare Veloria's bicycle, above, with my orange Norman:

In both cases the grips are around the height of the saddle, so that aspect of the fit is effectively the same.

Why do I ride this size bike? Quite frankly, it's because that's the size the bike is. And it fits me fine. Perhaps if I could find a three speed with a 25" frame I might ride it with the bars flipped.
Likes For rhm:
Old 08-02-10, 08:11 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@rhm I got the impression that most of the time, if your bar grip and saddle were around the same height, then standard road geometries fit well. It sounds like Sheldon's situation involves a top tube that's somewhat on the short side.

@Velora - nice . I've actually admired your ride from afar in another thread. The albatross bars go really far back, which isn't quite the look I'm aiming for, but sounds oh-so-comfortable ....
Old 08-02-10, 08:56 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I love flipped North Roads, had a set of Wald steel ones on my commuter all last year with some aero levers and I was very happy. I didn't really do any long rides over 15 miles with that set up though so I can't really say how comfortable it is for a long distance.
Old 08-02-10, 09:06 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dashuaigeh
@Velora - nice . I've actually admired your ride from afar in another thread. The albatross bars go really far back, which isn't quite the look I'm aiming for, but sounds oh-so-comfortable ....
I built up a Schwinn Super Sport for my old man with a set of Nitto Albatross bars. They definitely long, really long IMO...he loves the set up but if it were mine I'd flip em and chop a couple of inches off the ends.
Old 08-02-10, 09:30 AM
Staggerwing

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a little more flared than the Nitto Albatross, but the Soma Sparrow bar is a nice choice if you want to try the concept. Come in black or polished silver, and 490 or 520mm width. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 490 as the 520 really isn't that wide of a bar. A steal at less than $30.

I run a pair, in the inverted configuration, with the grips angled down a smidge (maybe 5 degrees), with a Sram i-Motion 9 rear, and matching twist shifter. Yes, have to use MTB brake levers, although, the bar is listed as being bar-end compatible. Upright or inverted, it really isn't a one handed ride for more than a small stretch of smooth pavement.
Old 08-02-10, 09:31 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Zaphod probably wouldn't use it for long rides anyhow. a fixie/ss for tromping around town.

also, as a slight non-sequitur, because of your name and avatar, I seem to have somehow associated Yehuda Moon with Spaceman Spiff forever.

Last edited by dashuaigeh; 08-02-10 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 09:36 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dashuaigeh
@Zaphod probably wouldn't use it for long rides anyhow. a fixie/ss for tromping around town.

also, as a slight non-sequitur, because of your name and Avatar, I seem to have somehow associated Yehuda Moon with Spaceman Spiff forever.
thats a mighty non-sqeuitur

Mine was set up on a ss/fg (flip/flop hub) as well....worked great and If you do it on a set of handlebars with a removable faceplate you can switch betweeen having them flipped or not !
Old 08-02-10, 09:39 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Some nice examples, in case anyone missed it:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=flipped
Old 08-02-10, 11:10 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I installed an upside-down set on my Legnano and a Sekine Single Speed. I like the feel. I have managed to score several sets of these old handlebars from vintage Sekine bicycles. Generally, they (the bikes) come fitted with lovely alloy fenders as well.

Legnano_Consv_Han&.jpg Legnano_Consv_Ful.jpg Sekine_M_Accessor&.jpg
Old 08-02-10, 11:41 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Sekines really are some of the best gaspipe bikes out there. Lots of nice details that set them apart from the Velo Sports, Norcos etc.
Old 08-02-10, 01:49 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'm a big fan of NR style bars. I never understand why more people don't give Wald bars more love. https://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/8095handlebars.html
American made steel bars, nice sweep, works well both ways. They're speced for mountain levers, but I've adapted drop levers to them without much trouble. Plus they are thin-walled enough to take barcons. Less than $20 from any LBS.
Old 08-02-10, 01:54 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I installed an upside-down set on my Legnano and a Sekine Single Speed. I like the feel. I have managed to score several sets of these old handlebars from vintage Sekine bicycles. Generally, they (the bikes) come fitted with lovely alloy fenders as well.
Attachment 162880
Sweet Legnano! Interesting seat post binder. Are those Nitto Promenade bars?
Old 08-02-10, 02:58 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm setting up a bike with a 62cm frame which fits my lower half perfectly, but without a very short stem the reach to the bars is a stretch. The solution was a set of flipped North Roads. That brought the drops down and within reach plus I think it looks pretty cool.
Old 08-02-10, 05:33 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I'm a big fan of NR style bars. I never understand why more people don't give Wald bars more love. https://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/8095handlebars.html
American made steel bars, nice sweep, works well both ways. They're speced for mountain levers, but I've adapted drop levers to them without much trouble. Plus they are thin-walled enough to take barcons. Less than $20 from any LBS.
I like them, but I don't like the way they look with barcons. The ends of the bars flare out too much. In my opnion, barcons look odd on bars that have ends that don't point straight back or nearly so.

I went back to drop bars from these Cinelli Priests for that reason.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-03-10 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 06:29 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NR bars are the best, flipped or not. the problem is that you get bored not having your hands hurt and you just forget how unnatural other bars are...and you eventually change them out. then some time later you repeat the process. but that's what it's all about right?
Old 08-02-10, 07:43 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
These were nice, not exactly NR, though. They came on a '38 Shelby Traveler. I'd have kept them if I could have made them fit my Raleigh.

Likes For sailorbenjamin:
Old 08-02-10, 09:47 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I like them, but I don't like the way they look with barcons. The ends of the bars flare out too much. In my opnion, barcons look odd on bars that _____ have ends that point straight back or nearly so.

I went back to drop bars from these Cinelli Priests for that reason.

Did you intend to put a "don't" in there?

Clean ride, GB!
Old 08-03-10, 05:05 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Did you intend to put a "don't" in there?

Clean ride, GB!
Yes I did, and I fixed it. Thank you!
Old 08-04-10, 01:24 AM
Dryheat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flipped out

Nice looking bikes y'all got!

Veloria, Are you a Pixies fan?

I know I'm not in the "Classic & Vintage" genre but I am riding the Nitto B-302, flipped. I've spent the past while acquiring parts to rebuild a classic 3-speed. These handlebars have been starring at me for months, I had to try it. They've been on for about a month now. I think they're going to stay, at least for a while.

Old 08-04-10, 06:33 AM
ummbnb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mixte2..jpg 2010-05-14_19_27_59&.jpg

I have flipped northroad-ish bars on my early 70's Raleigh Grand Prix mixte and I love it more than I can express. I'm actually considering switching out the moustache bars on my Bstone XO-2 to flipped NR's. The Raleigh has become my most frequently ridden bike and much of it is because the handlebars are so dang comfortable.

Last edited by ummbnb; 08-04-10 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 09:26 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More, more, let's see more fine bikes with flipped Northroads. I fell in love with them on my 3spd, so I'm gathering parts to build a fixie with a s3x hub and flipped NR bars.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1020040.jpg (97.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 08-10-10, 09:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
Sekines really are some of the best gaspipe bikes out there. Lots of nice details that set them apart from the Velo Sports, Norcos etc.
And the non gaspipe Sekines with the butted frames and better components are gorgeous.

Old 08-10-10, 09:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My 1951 CCM...

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 08-04-13 at 08:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.