Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Locking up your trailer?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Locking up your trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 11:47 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Locking up your trailer?

I've found an old child carrier that I am going to use to haul groceries, etc. My grocery store plus the local Wal-mart both have nice bike racks. How do you lock up everything? The trailer I'm looking at has a semi-quick release system for putting it on the bike. I don't think it would be that hard to get it off if someone really wanted to.

I already carry a U-lock with a short additional cable for my bike. I also own a longer cable with a combination lock that I guess I could carry in the trailer and use it. Is this what others do?

Thanks in advance. I'm very new to this, but really want to give it a try.
Old 10-12-10, 03:55 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I felt a compelling need to lock my trailer, I would probably go with a cable and lock through both wheels, the frame, and something solid. Having said that, I don't generally bother locking my trailer when I use it. If the bike is locked securely, around here, the trailer is probably still going to be there when I get back.
Old 10-12-10, 04:43 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a cable and padlock securing my trailer to my bike frame. I try to lock the frame to a post but sometimes I just lock the frame to the rear wheel. Because my trailer is very large and locked to my bike, it sort of prevents the whole rig from being carried off. Well, at least so far. I've had three bikes stolen, but so far no one swiped my bike with trailer attached. Trailer might deter thieves? Just too weird to steal? The more locks the/better/safe than sorry. Trust me. Victim of bike thief is not fun, but yeah criminals aren't keying in on bike trailers. That's not an easy thing to sell. I'm only concerned about someone interested in the scrap metal value of the aluminum. I think they could get more at the scrap metal yard than they could get on the street. Nobody wants something like that. It's not easy to turn over.
Old 10-12-10, 08:01 PM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Burley Nomad, which can be taken apart for traveling, storage, etc. There is really no 100% secure way to lock it. Like many child trailers, on the opposite side where the arm hitches to your bike is a set of brackets for the trailer arm. I usually run my 6' cable lock through that and run it through my back wheel and frame. I then use a U lock to secure my bike to the rack.

It may not be the best, but most thiefs are going to go for something thats not locked first.
Old 10-28-10, 01:30 AM
dayworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have a length of cable I loop through the frame of the trailer and then that gets looped into the bike lock that's securing the bike. Although I agree with most of the posts that trailers don't seem to be of much interest to thieves
Old 10-28-10, 06:58 AM
Fish_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've welded a loop onto the frame of my trailer just big enough to put the lock through.

If I was leaving it for a long time I would pop the wheels off and lock them too.

Ive also replaced the "quick release" plasticy bolt with a standard one for increased theft resistance and to get it more secure to the bike. Still only takes a few seconds to fit and remove but I have to remember to take a spanner with me which is no big hardship.
Old 10-29-10, 03:54 AM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's hard to see but I've run a looped cable from the rear axle, under the body and tow arm to my chainstay near the hitch point. There's a padlock securing the loop to the bike there.

June 23, 2010..jpg
Old 10-29-10, 08:54 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The cable runs through the trailer's boom. An old safety strap from a German ski binding keeps the lock out of the way of my heel.

I didn't know that hose clamp was broken until I looked at this picture. I will replace it asap.