Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 10:40 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels

After a long time of my dad watching me ride/race, he finally decided to get a bike. He purchased a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Pro and is loving it. He's lost a good bit of weight from riding but he keeps breaking spokes. He's down around 225 now, but is still having wheel issues.

Any ideas for a bombproof set of wheels to get him for Christmas? I'm 140lb climber, so when he asked me for suggestions, I was at a loss.

Thanks!
James
Old 12-04-10, 11:03 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like he needs to find a competent wheelsmith to fix his current wheels. At 225lbs, he should be able to ride just about anything if the wheels are properly built and tensioned. Not knowing any better, I bought a cheap (~$200) set of wheels with 16f/20r spokes back when I was 210+. Never had a problem with them... though I eventually upgraded to a wheelset once I decided I was going to keep riding.
Old 12-04-10, 11:04 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Velocity Deep V's, hand built and tensioned with either 32 or 36 DT Swiss Spokes and either Peter White or DT Swiss hubs. This will give you a wheelset that will stand up to cobblestones and a Clyde.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-05-10, 11:23 AM
obmike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the Velocity Deep V. I've lurked here for a long time and that is one of the bits of advice I picked up. I think I paid about $450 to have my set built. However, I thought of it as peace of mind. They have worked very well on the move from #260 down to #225.
Old 12-05-10, 12:16 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is he riding? I weigh in that neighborhood and I ride a stock Shimano wheel with no problems. The Deep Vs are a popular choice here. I did a quick search and saw the 2010 Specialized Roubaix Pro comes with Roval Fusee SL. These have mixed reviews, but seem to be good rims.

Thinking out loud here since the bike is 2010, I would see if the wheels are under warranty. When you get a new wheel have it tensioned not just trued. You may get a new wheel from warranty. If not, rather than buying a whole new wheel rebuid what he has now. They seem to be good components. Depends on what your budget is for this project.
Old 12-05-10, 12:40 PM
kache_98

Bikes: KHS Flite 750 '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I concur with Deep V... I've been running them with 105 hubs and DT swiss spokes on Puerto Rico's horrid chip & seal roads.
Old 12-09-10, 03:26 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of hole count are youguys using for the Velocity V? I'm thinking 32 would be best for the rear, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-09-10, 06:18 PM
traitorhound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will also recommend the Deep V's. I only have about 100 miles on the set I just build up but they have been the best feeling wheels I've had. Stiff enough for the load I put on them and the ride very well (I put 28c Gatorskins on it).

Ultegra Hubs: 100
Rims 32 hole: 110
Spokes 60

270 spent and a bit of time and I feel I have a bombproof set.
Old 12-09-10, 06:26 PM
Old'N'Slow

Bikes: Serotta Concourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope not to muddy the water too much - I'm the same weight as your Dad and have extremely good luck with DT Swiss 1.2 rims (I believe they are now have a different number designation) with 32 holes and Kinlin 300 rims, also with 32 holes. Each are laced 3 cross on front and back. On the 1.2 rims, I had a spoke nipple work loose on my commute. I was approximately 8 miles from home and was amazed the wheel didn't go out of true.