Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Old 05-19-19, 04:21 AM
delbiker1 

Bikes: 1991 Ochsner steel frame, 2002 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Schwinn DBX SS aluminum, Orbea MD 40 carbon fiber

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
My first re-build, 91 Ochsner. I purchased it in 92 as a 40th b'day present for myself.
Old 05-19-19, 10:38 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee View Post

This is my old frame (‘85 Fuso) with Athena 11 speed and friction DT shifters, works a treat. 3T Status stem with some generic bars and Kinlin TB25 laced to WI silver hubs on Veloflex Carbon tubs. I replaced the Athena ergos with Record brake levers which you can see in the picture by the water, still need to install a Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli criterium bars.
Love Dave's work, simply beautiful and of course one of the coolest headbadges in the business.

Any desire to have a pair?

Old 05-19-19, 02:02 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hooked up the derailleurs on the Frejus yesterday. Now it's just waiting for dry streets for a spin around the block. The wheel is all the way back in the dropouts. I'm sure I'll need to nudge it forward a bit. Still, I'm skeptical it will ever be an awesome shifter.

And the Griffon is starting to look like a bike. Wheels are laced and trued, the Veloflex Vlaanderen fit (whew!). Looks like the SunTour Superbe derailleur won't have any trouble covering the 13-26 7sp freewheel. Just need a bottom bracket spindle and another couple hours of work:

Old 05-23-19, 03:51 PM
wilsonjoe
Perpetual Procrastinator

Bikes: 1964 AMF Hercules

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't show you a pic yet, something about points.

My first post (wheee!). Doing this here instead of the designated intro thread because 1) nonconformist, and 2) "BIKE FORUMS" feels awfully unwieldy and intimidatingly vast, and I joined for the specific purpose of gaining insight & (hopefully) assistance with this new project of mine: a gold & chrome 1964 AMF Hercules that somehow ended up in the back of my car when I left Goodwill yesterday.

Full disclosure: I haven't been on a bicycle in 10+ years. But I do enjoy tinkering, and disposing of income, and shiny mid-century design. The chrome alone was enough for me to pull out my phone and do the due diligence, and the $30 price tag made it done deal. A couple of new tires and a replacement shift control later (both ordered and on the way), and she'll be ready to ride.

Yeah, I know; it's been awhile. But from what I hear, it's just like riding a bike.
Old 05-25-19, 10:00 AM
mississippimud

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Fuso

Saw a Fuso above so I just as well post my 1987 Dave Moulton built 30th Anniversary Edition up 👌
Old 05-25-19, 12:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Originally Posted by mississippimud View Post
Saw a Fuso above so I just as well post my 1987 Dave Moulton built 30th Anniversary Edition up 👌
H**Y CRAP again, if only my pink one was at least 6cm larger.
Old 05-25-19, 12:26 PM
merziac

Thanks ! Pink Fuso ? Are you in the DMB group ? Post it and let me check it out or are you talking about the one you sold above ? Very cool !
The small pink frame above is the one, I have never sold any bikes/frames, still have them all, muhaha.

I have a small Strawberry as well, they are both placeholders for ones in my size. That has worked on others, not holding my breath on these.

They could be traded for ones in my size or something equally cool, very high bar.

Not in the DMB group, saw him here on his tour a few years ago, great guy and very cool to meet, listen to him.

Funny thing he said he never heard of Merz , but thought mine was pretty nice.

Last edited by merziac; 05-25-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 12:51 PM
merziac

Please join in and also with the American Built Frames Only group, unless you already are and I’m not sure of your real name ha ha . Small Strawberry huh ? What color is it and can you post it up here or in the ABFO group ? If not that’s ok some people do like their privacy.
The Strawberry is Black, don't do FB.

Sending PM, or not.

Maybe you could send me one?
Old 05-25-19, 01:16 PM
merziac

Please join in and also with the American Built Frames Only group, unless you already are and I’m not sure of your real name ha ha . Small Strawberry huh ? What color is it and can you post it up here or in the ABFO group ? If not that’s ok some people do like their privacy.
Here's the frame.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...cles-54cm.html
Old 06-04-19, 08:45 AM
no67el 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1976 Centurion Semi Pro, 1977 Univega Gran Rally, 1989 Ironman Expert, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1996 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, 2005 IF Crown Jewel ti, 2017 Jamis Renegade Elite (plastic)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'82 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB

Here is my (nearly) finished winter project.

1982 (I think) Gazelle Champion Mondial AB frame, Reynolds 531c, 62cm
Suntour Superbe/Superbe pro derailleurs, brakes, levers
Sugino mighty crankset
Veloflex tubulars

Frame is pretty scruffy, with lots of small scrapes and poor touch-ups. (pearl white is super hard to match!). But I think it looks good from 10 feet, and I love the way it rides! 62cm is normally pretty big for me, but with only a 57cm top tube, I find that it suits my long legs/short torso nicely. Odd that these bikes kept the top tubes so short even on the bigger frame sizes---- was there something about the Dutch population that fit these well?

Very light and nimble for such a big frame.

I have MKS urban platform pedals on here for the moment to make riding in sneakers a bit more comfortable, but I have a pair of Suntour Cyclone pedals which I think will go well....

Also I think black bar tape...... the dark blue was an experiment to pick up the blue highlights of the frame, but I think just black to match the saddle will be better.

Man, bikes are fun.....
Old 06-12-19, 08:25 PM
GTBruiser

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a good lookin' bike and that blue bar wrap is a great touch.
Old 06-13-19, 11:02 PM
spacelahana

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1987 Basso Gap, finally built it about a 2 weeks ago. Rides like a dream.
Old 06-17-19, 11:02 AM
krazikev

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bikes
Old 06-18-19, 09:23 AM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsonjoe View Post
My first post (wheee!). Doing this here instead of the designated intro thread because 1) nonconformist, and 2) "BIKE FORUMS" feels awfully unwieldy and intimidatingly vast, and I joined for the specific purpose of gaining insight & (hopefully) assistance with this new project of mine: a gold & chrome 1964 AMF Hercules that somehow ended up in the back of my car when I left Goodwill yesterday.

Full disclosure: I haven't been on a bicycle in 10+ years. But I do enjoy tinkering, and disposing of income, and shiny mid-century design. The chrome alone was enough for me to pull out my phone and do the due diligence, and the $30 price tag made it done deal. A couple of new tires and a replacement shift control later (both ordered and on the way), and she'll be ready to ride.

Yeah, I know; it's been awhile. But from what I hear, it's just like riding a bike.
I see you call yourself a “perpetual procrastinator”. Is that why we haven’t seen a picture of the Hercules yet? 😏

Last edited by sunnyone; 06-18-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:55 AM
wilsonjoe
Perpetual Procrastinator

Bikes: 1964 AMF Hercules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I see you call yourself a “perpetual procrastinator”. Is that why we haven’t seen a picture of the Hurcules yet? 😏
Well, yes... but mostly due to procrastinating on enough forum participation to earn photo-posting privileges.

A current pic would show chainguard, fenders, brakes, cables & clips, grips, handlebars, and seat removed. Not much progress, I know. The most effort expended thus far involved building a simple work stand (via YouTube), and prying/hammering off the cable-lock (sans key) left wrapped around the top tube. But I have gathered the necessary replacement parts and other goodies, all patiently awaiting installation.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt. I'll get there, eventually.
Old 06-18-19, 10:24 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsonjoe View Post
Well, yes... but mostly due to procrastinating on enough forum participation to earn photo-posting privileges.

A current pic would show chainguard, fenders, brakes, cables & clips, grips, handlebars, and seat removed. Not much progress, I know. The most effort expended thus far involved building a simple work stand (via YouTube), and prying/hammering off the cable-lock (sans key) left wrapped around the top tube. But I have gathered the necessary replacement parts and other goodies, all patiently awaiting installation.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt. I'll get there, eventually.
Well, you’re up to 2 posts now.
Old 07-04-19, 04:17 PM
Mansontm
EastBayBike

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Volpe,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giraldengo 1950ish

Picked up this heavy weight Giraldengo. All great stuffs.

Campagnolo gransport

Good looking with Ideale saddle.
Old 07-04-19, 06:37 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: I finally have all the bikes I need.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
1949 Raleigh Clubman Retro-Mod

Finally got my winter project bike to the point where it's rideable. I've done a patina preservation with clear over the original finish. I went with all black hardware to direct the eye to that incredible frameset. Drivetrain is from Handsome Cycles right here in the Twin Cities.

Overall, I really like the effect, and it rides beautifully.

Rouler pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 07-04-19, 06:59 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
@DQRider, Very unique build, good engineering on the drive train. Well done Top, well done.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13