Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Longjohns/bakfiets

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Longjohns/bakfiets

Old 01-06-13, 12:16 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Longjohns/bakfiets

Ive been shopping for a front loading cargo bike to replace my xtracycle. In the past several weeks ive been lucky enough to take the following bikes for test rides, all of them while carrying my kids.

Metrofiets standard

Bullit with bionix electric assist

Cetma Largo with electric assist

Mydutchbikes.com longjohn bakfiets

I've ordered a Cetma.

More details to come, and ill add ome more info for anyone interested about my rest rides as well.

Old 01-06-13, 06:58 AM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What electric motor is on the Cetma?
Old 01-06-13, 12:53 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DAME
What electric motor is on the Cetma?
He didnt tell me the brand but it was a rear wheel hub motor. It was actuated by a button only, unlike the bionix which gives a boost while pedaling if you want it to.

Old 01-06-13, 01:41 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm envious that you were able to find so many different models to take for test rides. Even the more commom Xtracycle/Big Dummies are a rarity around here . I look forward to following this thread
Old 01-07-13, 11:02 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CETMA rules! I replaced my JoeBoxBike with a CETMA last year and haven't regretted a second of it. I'd be even more excited if I had electric assist.

How long is the wait these days?
Old 01-10-13, 12:58 PM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Bikes: single speed Krampus, burley piccolo, salsa mukluk ti, CETMA cargo bike, M5 Shockproof,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My testing went similarly. I have Cetma #2 and I have been riding it hard for years now. There have been some improvements to it since I got mine, and they make a great bike better. I upgraded my fork last summer to the newer diameter tubes and it improved it significantly.
Mine is getting an overhaul and a repaint in the spring to clean up the scratches from scraping against rocks and concrete.
Old 01-12-13, 05:19 AM
lucienrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what are your impressions on the cetma and bullit? Differences? We're going thru the same decision process now for our kids.
Old 02-02-13, 08:42 PM
KevinInBoston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, would be interested in comparisons between the CETMA and the others, especially the Metrofiets and the Bullitt.
Old 02-03-13, 09:29 PM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Bikes: single speed Krampus, burley piccolo, salsa mukluk ti, CETMA cargo bike, M5 Shockproof,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bullit is built for speed, and I found the handling a little nervous. I also found that it damped out no vibration, transmitting it all into my arms and bum. I also have a strong preference for step-through frames on this type of bike.
Old 02-04-13, 05:54 AM
lucienrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've since tried the bullitt and a workcycles bakfiets, as well as the edgerunner and I own a big dummy. The workcycles rode very much like a Dutch bike, stable, heavy and for me it feels slow. It wants a very upright stance. If you like Dutch bikes you'd feel at home. My wife liked it I didn't.

The bullitt is light for a cargo bike. It's a bit squirrelly at low speeds but handles fine after you get a few minutes with it. My wife, who isn't an experienced cyclist, got the hang of it after a few minutes. The frame is more rigid (overbuilt) but that works for me, I'd probably run lower tire pressures than they had it at. I'm tall enough that the top tube was low enough to step over. Think slightly higher than a mixte rather than a diamond frame top tube. After a bit it just feels like riding a bike. According to Barb at the shop, some people get it right away, some struggle with the steering but its not dependent on cycling experience.

We really liked the bionix assist. It feels very natural, reducing the effort you put in rather than giving a push. Level 1 felt like riding an unloaded bike when the kid was in the box. They weren't sure that they could fit the bionix system on a different longjohn. We liked it enough that we're probably going to get a bionixed bullitt this spring.
Old 02-05-13, 11:26 AM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty sure that you can put a bionx on the cetma as well. I think Marla Streb has one on hers. I definitely wouldn't run down the bullit, but I definitely find the cetma to be more comfortable and, counterintuitively, faster than the bullit. I have never found any cargo bike particularly hard to ride.
The workcycles bike was what made me know that I needed a cargo bike. It is very accessible and easy to handle. I did not think that it was slow, but i did find that it discouraged me from putting too much effort into pedalling, in the end, it wasn't sporty enough for me.
Old 02-05-13, 04:42 PM
lucienrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coldbike
I did find that it discouraged me from putting too much effort into pedalling, in the end, it wasn't sporty enough for me.
That says it better than I did. Every bike seems to have the speed it likes. The workcycles stasis speed is slower than I'd like, most dutch style bikes are like that. You can go faster but they don't like it, more to do with geometry and rider position than weight of the bike.

In contrast the bullitt the stasis speed seems more like a road bike. I didn't get a chance to try out a Cetma. And overbuilt works for me since we'll be putting 400+ lbs on the bike regularly. And the narrow box works pretty well for what we need. But everyone has their own needs.
Old 02-05-13, 06:45 PM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucienrau
That says it better than I did. Every bike seems to have the speed it likes. The workcycles stasis speed is slower than I'd like, most dutch style bikes are like that. You can go faster but they don't like it, more to do with geometry and rider position than weight of the bike.

In contrast the bullitt the stasis speed seems more like a road bike. I didn't get a chance to try out a Cetma. And overbuilt works for me since we'll be putting 400+ lbs on the bike regularly. And the narrow box works pretty well for what we need. But everyone has their own needs.
I am glad you understood. Hopefully you get to try a cetma. It will carry a lot. I have had up to 350 pounds plus 180 pounds of me on it.