Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I replace BSA bottom bracket bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 10:14 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

So I have a Rotor Kapic Carbon crankset on my hardtail and I started hearing some pretty bad crunching sound yesterday while riding. I hadn't cleaned and lubed the chain in a few rides, and I ride in a pretty dusty trail system most days, so I figured I just needed to clean and lube and I'd be all good to go.

I take the bike home and decide to just go ultrasonic cleaner for the chain since I hadn't done it in a while, but when I took the chain off and gave the cranks a spin, I could still hear a lack of smoothness.

I pull off the cranks and the bearing on the non-drive side crank just feels really notchy. So I pull the cup out, gently pry off the dust seal, blast out the bearing with some degreaser, dry with my air gun, and then repack with grease. It feels better now for sure, but still not buttery smooth.

I could just buy a new BB from Rotor for $70, but if these bearings are going to need servicing every 18 months, I might as well invest in the tools and knowledge to do it myself.

Is this feasible? I imagine the bearings are a standardized size - they are Enduro bearings from what I read on the dust seal.

What tools would I need? Would I just follow a procedure like the one in this video -
?

For tools, could I just go with a Wheels MFG or similar rod + handles and then get the correct extractor and drift?
Old 09-30-23, 12:56 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
The most difficult part would be getting the bearing out, since there's probably very little access to the back of the bearing. I would use a blind bearing extractor. https://wheelsmfg.com/30mm-bearing-extractor-set.html details one set of tooling for the job. I use an Enduro slide hammer blind bearing puller at work mostly for this kind of thing: https://cycling.endurobearings.com/p...et-black-oxide . https://wheelsmfg.com/6806-30mm-seal...extractor.html would work as well. Installation is easy--just need the right sized drift and some threaded rod.

Your plan makes sense to me. Though depending on exactly what bearings are originally used it's not an incredible savings. Basic angular contact 6806 Enduro bearings are $20 a pop, though you could find decent bearings for less.
Old 09-30-23, 12:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,818 Times in 3,323 Posts
You might find a local bike shop will replace it with new for less than all the stuff you might have to buy to deal with it yourself. Your next bike might have a different BB and need different tools.
Old 09-30-23, 01:50 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
A ten dollar tool and a rubber mallet will get the bearings out and a piece of all thread with the right sized washers will pull (not push) them back in. After you've done one it seems very simple. I did leave out all the cleaning and prepping with grease you'll want to do to the bottom bracket housing once the bearings are out and before you pull in the new ones. Note also if there are any spacers inside or out during disassembly so you get them back in the right order. Good luck and enjoy. I pull my cranks off annually and pop off the dust seals of the bearings and do exactly like you, clean them, dry them, repack them, and push the seals back on. Smokey