Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 10:44 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What you are probably feeling is less rolling resistance on your GP5000 tyres. What heavier tyres did they replace?
Good point, Conti Gator Hardshell and Ultra Sport.
Old 04-04-24, 12:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
Good point, Conti Gator Hardshell and Ultra Sport.
Yeah, that's like double the rolling resistance for the Hardshell
Old 04-04-24, 12:41 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Yeah, that's like double the rolling resistance for the Hardshell
Yeah, lower RR from the tires and tubes, and the lower rotating mass. I can never rule out placebo, but in this case there is a basis for theoretical improvement.
Old 04-04-24, 05:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think it's time to declare myself an old curmudgeon. I've tried lots of new stuff, but I plan to stick with carrying a pump and using butyl inner tubes for the rest of my life.
Any reason other than cost or roadside patchability?

I just installed a pair of Pirelli Smartube TPU tubes within new Continental GP5000 (25 mm) tires on my existing wheels. The TPU tubes were not more difficult to install than butyl tubes.
Old 04-04-24, 07:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Any reason other than cost or roadside patchability?

I just installed a pair of Pirelli Smartube TPU tubes within new Continental GP5000 (25 mm) tires on my existing wheels. The TPU tubes were not more difficult to install than butyl tubes.
I just don't see an advantage. The weight difference is inconsequential since I'm carrying far more than just an inner tube, and my cycling ability is not at the level where a tiny change in weight will change any needed kind of performance or time saving or enjoyment. Puncture resistance is about the same, right? Cost can be frightful unless I go with no-name tubes, and do I want to deal with aliexpress? I do patch my tubes a lot, and I have a system that works for me, collecting tubes in a batch and patching them once or twice a year. I've managed not to patch on the roadside, but I want to be ready to do it if I need to, since tubes sometimes fail in unexpected ways, and I could also get more flats than expected. I think my system has me ready for most eventualities at a reasonable expense of money and trouble. Basically, tpu tubes are likely to cost more and be more trouble. They won't cost less or save me trouble, so there is no compelling reason to try something cutting-edge.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-04-24, 09:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I just don't see an advantage. The weight difference is inconsequential since I'm carrying far more than just an inner tube, and my cycling ability is not at the level where a tiny change in weight will change any needed kind of performance or time saving or enjoyment. Puncture resistance is about the same, right? Cost can be frightful unless I go with no-name tubes, and do I want to deal with aliexpress? I do patch my tubes a lot, and I have a system that works for me, collecting tubes in a batch and patching them once or twice a year. I've managed not to patch on the roadside, but I want to be ready to do it if I need to, since tubes sometimes fail in unexpected ways, and I could also get more flats than expected. I think my system has me ready for most eventualities at a reasonable expense of money and trouble. Basically, tpu tubes are likely to cost more and be more trouble. They won't cost less or save me trouble, so there is no compelling reason to try something cutting-edge.
Mostly agreed, except for the "be more trouble" part, since you almost always patch at home. I had thought (from your prior post) that you were against trying new stuff, i.e., TPU tubes, and so pointed out that they are not so different from butyl tubes, at least installation-wise.
Old 04-04-24, 09:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I just don't see how tpu tubes can offer me less trouble than I currently have with butyl tubes. They may be the same, and they may be more, but less, I doubt it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-04-24, 09:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I just don't see how tpu tubes can offer me less trouble than I currently have with butyl tubes. They may be the same, and they may be more, but less, I doubt it.
TPU tube allegedly lose air at a slower rate than butyl tubes.
Old 04-04-24, 11:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 1,089 Posts

on one of my bikes - a 650b bike - TPU tubes reduced weight by approx 330 grams

( the OEM tubes were a portly 200 grams each )

considered going to a lightweight butyl tube (Schwalbe SV14 for example) - but the TPU tubes weighed less (-180 grams approx) and were actually less expensive

and the result ? I’m now more confident I can pass that elderly woman on the MUP - carrying her dog in a basket - to get the last scoop of blackberry cheesecake ice cream

or get to the Derailleur Cafe after the long gentle climb before the grill is shut down for the day

Last edited by t2p; 04-04-24 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-05-24, 12:38 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What you are probably feeling is less rolling resistance on your GP5000 tyres.
Not necessarily. Rolling resistance is likely to be responsible for much larger performance differences, but if someone is "feeling" something, it wouldn't be surprising if it predominantly arises from mass. Tire mass has large impacts on physical dynamics that are easily-felt by the rider but which contribute very little in the way of actual performance implications. In particular: resistance of the bicycle to side-to-side sway, resistance of the steering column to rotation, and gyroscopic precession.
Old 04-05-24, 06:14 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I don't think they will. In fact, I think they're more prone to puncture than good ol' butyl tubes.

Tubeless is the best solution I personally found so far. I've had no flats (well, there were some but they sealed instantly) in the past 2 seasons. Going to touch wood now.
Old 04-05-24, 06:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@HTupolev, wow, that's a big improvement, but how do you know it's from the weight advantage rather than the difference in color?

If I sneak a full water bottle on the bike, will you feel it?

Old 04-05-24, 06:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
My main benefit from them (haven't had to actually use them yet) is that I can fit 2 TPU tubes (in their boxes for added protection), in my seatbag and take up less room than one butyl tube in a ziploc bag. That extra room means I've got space for a full-sized tire jack instead of the VAR one and a small hose for my hand pump.

Likes For himespau:
Old 04-05-24, 09:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Not necessarily. Rolling resistance is likely to be responsible for much larger performance differences, but if someone is "feeling" something, it wouldn't be surprising if it predominantly arises from mass. Tire mass has large impacts on physical dynamics that are easily-felt by the rider but which contribute very little in the way of actual performance implications. In particular: resistance of the bicycle to side-to-side sway, resistance of the steering column to rotation, and gyroscopic precession.
True, but going from Gators to GP5000 is 99% about the tyre suppleness and rolling resistance than it is about differences in tubes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 01:14 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
If I sneak a full water bottle on the bike, will you feel it?
If you mount it on the front rim, absolutely!

True, but going from Gators to GP5000 is 99% about the tyre suppleness and rolling resistance than it is about differences in tubes.
Even if we're talking about performance rather than feel, "99%" is a very optimistic guess for the tires. GP5000 are a lot faster than Gators, but the difference between standard butyl tubes and fast TPU tubes isn't nothing.

But I wasn't talking about tires versus tubes anyway, I was talking about how much of the perceived difference (in overall setup) is due to weight versus other factors. To most cyclists, a lot of non-performance factors are felt more strongly "as performance" than actual performance changes are. This is because slight changes in speed and acceleration are very difficult for humans to accurately feel, but our brains build various proxies for things that can be felt. We're very good McNamara-fallacy generators. A good example of this is the phenomenon where riders feel over-pumped tires as "faster" than appropriately-pumped tires, even when the data is clearly showing a tangible disadvantage in rolling resistance and lower actual speeds.
Old 04-05-24, 04:33 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you mount it on the front rim, absolutely!

Even if we're talking about performance rather than feel, "99%" is a very optimistic guess for the tires. GP5000 are a lot faster than Gators, but the difference between standard butyl tubes and fast TPU tubes isn't nothing.

But I wasn't talking about tires versus tubes anyway, I was talking about how much of the perceived difference (in overall setup) is due to weight versus other factors. To most cyclists, a lot of non-performance factors are felt more strongly "as performance" than actual performance changes are. This is because slight changes in speed and acceleration are very difficult for humans to accurately feel, but our brains build various proxies for things that can be felt. We're very good McNamara-fallacy generators. A good example of this is the phenomenon where riders feel over-pumped tires as "faster" than appropriately-pumped tires, even when the data is clearly showing a tangible disadvantage in rolling resistance and lower actual speeds.
I tend to agree, but tyre feel tends to dominate for me when comparing such wildly different tyres.

My only point really was that you can’t make any conclusions about the feel of TPU tubes unless you test them in the same tyres.
Old 04-05-24, 04:57 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think the ribbed latex ones give a more pleasurable ride experience.
for her
Old 04-06-24, 09:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

My point is that the placebo effect is powerful. Also, experienced cyclists are attuned to real differences in equipment in such a way that the perception of their differences is exaggerated. With bicycles, it's extremely hard to do blind tests, so when we invest in fancy equipment, we look for reasons to justify our expenditures. My spouse doesn't ride much, so when I change something on her bike, she is less likely to notice differences. This reinforces my idea that more experienced riders are more attuned.

Old 04-08-24, 08:59 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 235 Posts
Yesterday, at a bike swap, I bought some Conti butyl tubes for $3 each. Name brand, from a LBS, I know the guy.

I get about 1 flat per 4-5000 miles. Let's say it takes me 10 minutes to change it.

At 5-10X for the price. How much faster does a TPU tube have to be to make up for (hopefully) the same number of flats? Exactly!
Old 04-08-24, 09:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by bblair
Yesterday, at a bike swap, I bought some Conti butyl tubes for $3 each. Name brand, from a LBS, I know the guy.

I get about 1 flat per 4-5000 miles. Let's say it takes me 10 minutes to change it.

At 5-10X for the price. How much faster does a TPU tube have to be to make up for (hopefully) the same number of flats? Exactly!
I'm with you, but for some people, diminishing returns don't matter. Better is better.

Old 04-08-24, 10:03 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 1,089 Posts

your example is a little twisted

you purchased tubes at a swap meet - great price - and comparing to a tpu tube at max retail price
Old 04-09-24, 11:54 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by t2p

your example is a little twisted

you purchased tubes at a swap meet - great price - and comparing to a tpu tube at max retail price
You're right.

My point was, that for a significant price, the gains are very, very small.

Today on a club ride, I got dropped 'cause 18mph was all I could manage. Not sure by how much, but let's say that the others already had their bike up on their car racks when I got in. A little less rolling resistance and a little less weight (it was flat today, so no benefit) would not have made the difference. If it would, I would buy them today.
Likes For bblair:
Old 04-09-24, 10:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,666 Times in 2,929 Posts
You're right.

My point was, that for a significant price, the gains are very, very small.

Today on a club ride, I got dropped 'cause 18mph was all I could manage. Not sure by how much, but let's say that the others already had their bike up on their car racks when I got in. A little less rolling resistance and a little less weight (it was flat today, so no benefit) would not have made the difference. If it would, I would buy them today.
Just purchased today two TPU tubes for $10.00 from Ali - there were cheaper ones but wanted metal stems. So the difference in prices between butyl and TPU may be a push if one is a smart shopper.

Old 04-10-24, 07:29 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by rsbob
Just purchased today two TPU tubes for $10.00 from Ali - there were cheaper ones but wanted metal stems. So the difference in prices between butyl and TPU may be a push if one is a smart shopper.
That is a great price.

I have never bought anything from Ali....do you think it is the same product at a lower markup, or a lower quality product? I have read anecdotes, but no real comparisons.
Old 04-10-24, 10:10 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,666 Times in 2,929 Posts
That is a great price.

I have never bought anything from Ali....do you think it is the same product at a lower markup, or a lower quality product? I have read anecdotes, but no real comparisons.
Without the markup is guess, but will let you know quality when put them on the road. There are at least a half-dozen different manufacturers selling. My assumption, since most stuff is made in China, is that most of the stuff is relabeled/packaged with a western company’s logo for sale in the US and EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.