Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Relatively new to wheelbuilding/truing/fettling

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-22-15, 08:21 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've decided to learn to true and possibly rebuild a wheel.

I have noticed that some spokes on this wheel go under another and some go over another spoke. Should the pattern be uniform or have the spokes been laced incorrectly from stock?

I'd like to know as could this throw out truing slightly, or even significantly?

32 spoke front wheel - the J bend spokes are uniformly threaded outward - inward - outward - inward on the hub correctly, yet if I go around all the spokes, one by one some cross under and some cross over. What I'm trying to say is should all outward threaded spokes cross over or under and all inward threaded spokes cross over or under or vice versa, or doesn't it matter?

TIA

I'd rather rebuild the wheel correctly if it's not right.
Old 06-22-15, 08:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
On each side-
Trailing spokes should all be the same.
Leading.......""

On a 3X, first 2 go over and the last 1 goes under.
Old 06-22-15, 08:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Every conventionally laced wheel is built with a multiple, repeating pattern of 4 spokes. 2 crossing on one flange, and a similar pair on the other one spoke hole away in the rim.

The 4 spoke motif is repeated a number of times depending on the number of holes, ie 8x for a 32h wheel. Everything should be uniform and repeat identically, usually with the spokes woven over/under at the last cross.

If your wheel has most, but not all, spokes woven over/under at the last cross, the non woven ones may have been replacements done by a sloppy mechanic.

In any case a whee is a model of repetition and uniformity, so either switch a few spokes if that'll solve the issue, or relace completely.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-22-15, 08:43 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
On each side-
Leading.......""

On a 3X, first 2 go over and the last 1 goes under.
Cheers, Bill!
Old 06-22-15, 08:44 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Every conventionally laced wheel is built with a multiple, repeating pattern of 4 spokes. 2 crossing on one flange, and a similar pair on the other one spoke hole away in the rim.

The 4 spoke motif is repeated a number of times depending on the number of holes, ie 8x for a 32h wheel. Everything should be uniform and repeat identically, usually with the spokes woven over/under at the last cross.

If your wheel has most, but not all, spokes woven over/under at the last cross, the non woven ones may have been replacements done by a sloppy mechanic.

In any case a whee is a model of repetition and uniformity, so either switch a few spokes if that'll solve the issue, or relace completely.
Thanks, FB! I thought that was possibly the case. They're crappy wheels from a half decent old road bike. Thought I'd mess around with this one rather than my good wheels

Thanks for the info
Old 06-22-15, 09:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
On each side-
While that's the way that I build them, I don't think that statement is necessarily true.

Lots of wheels have been built with the left and right hub flanges the same rather than a mirror image of one another. I suspect that made it easier to insert the spokes into the flanges.
Old 06-22-15, 09:31 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
While that's the way that I build them, I don't think that statement is necessarily true.

Lots of wheels have been built with the left and right hub flanges the same rather than a mirror image of one another. I suspect that made it easier to insert the spokes into the flanges.
EXACTLY, what was wrong with my statement?
Old 06-22-15, 09:35 AM
Retro Grouch 

EXACTLY, what was wrong with my statement?
Because the wheel was laced as intended.
Old 06-22-15, 09:38 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Because the wheel was laced as intended.
That's beyond confusing
Old 06-22-15, 09:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Think about the person who laced the wheel. They did it the way that their boss told them to lace the wheel so they did it right.
Old 06-22-15, 09:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Not quite, that's the same effort either way. The reason for non-mirrored wheels is the process of production buiding, wherein all the spokes are loaded into the hub, which is then mounted into a wheel lacing fixture or machine. The spokes are brought to the rim in crossed and the nipples attached.

There ar two ways to do this - lace the upper flange first, then flip the wheel and lace the other -- or -- lace the lower flange, then the upper. The second saves the time to flip the wheel and is faster by that amount, but it' hard to teach hands to work in the opposite (mirrored) direction, so both flanges are the same. To give you a sense of how important the few seconds to flip the wheel are, a decent worker can lace about 60 wheels per hour, so losing 6 seconds to flip the wheel is a lost 10% of production capacity.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-22-15, 10:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by fbinny
a decent worker can lace about 60 wheels per hour,
60 wheels per hour!!!

I assume you're saying insert the spokes that come up from the bottom first, then insert the spokes that go down from the top.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-22-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:16 AM
FBinNY 

60 wheels per hour!!!

I assume you're saying insert the spokes that come up from the bottom first, then insert the spokes that go down from the top.
Lacing 60 wheels per hour involves only attaching the spokes to the rim. The hubs are preloaded with spokes by another worker. This too, is a very fast production job, and can be done in under a minute, so a crew of 2 spoke loaders and 3 lacers can crank out something like 180 wheels per hour between them. The laced wheels are then passed to the tensioning/truing dept, where they're brought to final condition in time frames from under a minute (one particular machine tightens all the spokes simultaneously at about 8-10 wheels per minute total time).

When all is said and done, a production department like what Giant would have can turn out wheels in about 3-5 man minutes each depending on the final quality desired. That compares to high quality hand built wheels, which take a skilled builder about 30 minutes or so start to finish when done in small production batches.

Old 06-22-15, 10:16 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
60 wheels per hour!!!

Something tells me that even if I had the best tools in the world, I couldn't connect 2,160 nipples to 2,160 spokes in an hour.
Old 06-22-15, 10:22 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Something tells me that even if I had the best tools in the world, I couldn't connect 2,160 nipples to 2,160 spokes in an hour.
Then you'd starve to death doing piecework in a wheel production facility. Most wheel building facilities pay either straight piecework, or salary with production quotas and bonuses for beating the quota. Any worker or team not consistently beating the quota and earning bonuses usually doesn't last.

Old 06-22-15, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Curious use of an old germanic-english word that is not used in the US, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fettle

BTW there are Machines that Build wheels those are what will be on a New bike from a Factory (all well known Brands )
Old 06-22-15, 10:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Then you'd starve to death doing piecework in a wheel production facility. Most wheel building facilities pay either straight piecework, or salary with production quotas and bonuses for beating the quota. Any worker or team not consistently beating the quota and earning bonuses usually doesn't last.
Reach for a spoke, grab it, bring it to the rim hole, insert it through the rim hole, or, insert nipple through the rim hole to meet the spoke, line it up to make sure not to cross thread, screw it on 2-3 rotations, in 1.6 seconds.

My (low) level of manual dexterity would for sure have me on food stamps.
Old 06-22-15, 11:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Just wondering... just how much a decent paced worker would actually make?

John
Old 06-22-15, 12:13 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Just wondering... just how much a decent paced worker would actually make?

John
I have no idea, since these are overseas where any prevailing wages are very different than in the USA. OTOH - it can't be that bad, since these jobs tend to stay filled, and the people (almost exclusively women) tend to stay a while. I can't know if that's because of good pay potential or poor alternative options.

Years ago, a friend ran a wheel production business in this area, and had an all women crew. They seemed satisfied because they all had friends and relatives looking for jobs whenever he had an opening. The women would lace wheels for about a 6 hour day, getting home in time to meet their children coming from school, then take hubs and spokes home to preload them at their leisure.

As factory work goes it's not bad, but it's still factory work.

Old 06-23-15, 04:52 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Curious use of an old germanic-english word that is not used in the US, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fettle
Use that word quite regularly on the Cyclechat site. It's predominantly UK folk, like me
Old 06-23-15, 04:55 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just an addition to my OP.

How do I measure spokes and how does this relate to spoke gauge? For instance: 1.8mm = 14g and 2.0mm =13g or whatever. Secondly, I need to replace some spoke nipples. If I find the spoke gauge how does spoke nipple size relate?
Old 06-23-15, 07:47 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by migrantwing
How do I measure spokes and how does this relate to spoke gauge? For instance: 1.8mm = 14g and 2.0mm =13g or whatever. Secondly, I need to replace some spoke nipples. If I find the spoke gauge how does spoke nipple size relate?
My understanding is that you need to match the spoke and nipple gauges, but that doesn't necessarily tell you which spoke wrench to use. So a 14 gauge and 15 gauge nipple may both have the same outer width and use the same wrench. Use the smallest wrench that will fit.

Someone correct me if I've got this wrong though.
Old 06-24-15, 01:05 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
My understanding is that you need to match the spoke and nipple gauges, but that doesn't necessarily tell you which spoke wrench to use. So a 14 gauge and 15 gauge nipple may both have the same outer width and use the same wrench. Use the smallest wrench that will fit.

Someone correct me if I've got this wrong though.
It's not the spoke wrench size that I require. I managed to find the correct size, the Red Spokey.

My question is for compatibility i.e. if you have a nut and a bolt, you need a certain size nut to fit
that specific size bolt, so, what spoke nipples fit what size spokes and how do I go about a) measuring a spoke to know what size or gauge it is and b) what corresponding nipple will fit that spoke.

I need to replace some spoke nipples but need to know what spokes they are to get replacements.

Last edited by migrantwing; 06-24-15 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 01:19 AM
FBinNY 

Discounting vintage and now rare sizes, and the uncommon heavier spokes, spokes come in only 2 sizes as far as thread is concerned. 14g (0.80", 2mm) and 15g (0.72", 1.8mm). Both are threaded 56tpi. Likewise nipples only come in those two thread sizes. So it's no big deal to identify spokes by the diameter of the wire just beyond the thread, and to identify nipples using a 2mm spoke a a go/nogo gauge.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-24-15 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 02:11 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Discounting vintage and now rare sizes, and the uncommon heavier spokes, spokes come in only 2 sizes as far as thread is concerned. 14g (0.80", 2mm) and 15g (0.72", 1.8mm). Both are threaded 56tpi. Likewise nipples only come in those two thread sizes. So it's no big deal to identify spokes by the diameter of the wire just beyond the thread, and to identify nipples using a 2mm spoke a a go/nogo gauge.
Perfect! Just the answer I required. Thanks again, FB.

BTW, you're either up very late or very early. I'm 5 hours ahead of you on GMT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.