Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 03-11-17, 04:31 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Today i made tortillas for the first time

Never buying tortillas form the store again.
Old 03-11-17, 05:26 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We've been frying our own tortilla chips lately. So much better. Now if only they were made from our tortillas.
Old 03-11-17, 05:55 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan

Now go make some arepas or pupsas
Old 03-11-17, 07:01 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Ive done arepas before, and its pretty much the best thing ever
Old 03-11-17, 07:10 PM
ninjamunky

Bikes: cheap ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I made a wall hanger/shelf to hang my fixed gear bike on since I usually park it in the house anyway.

I used two of these brackets from the local HD that are for closets. Everbilt 11.25 in. x 1.05 in. Brushed Nickel Shelf and Rod Bracket-HD-0495-BN - The Home Depot

Mounted the brackets on studs 16in apart and did a little test fit.

Everything looked good, so I cut a board for the shelf.

I think it turned out awesome. All that's left to do is add some stain/polyurethane to the shelf.

Old 03-11-17, 07:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
^^^ Looks great !

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-11-17, 08:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Today I dislocated my left knee while bowling. I've always had trick knees but usually it's my right knee that dislocates. I'm able to recover from that after 10 minutes. But tonight it was my left which has only happened two other times in my entire life - and I had to forcibly push my kneecap back into place while I was laying there on the lane. I didn't foul though! Hurts like a mofo right now - quite swollen with lots of fluid around it right now. Hopefully will get better by mid week so I can ride. Tour de Houston is next Sunday.
I hate genetics.
Old 03-11-17, 09:48 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Yeah it's so easy too!

Relevant college story time. Back then, I frequented a grocery store where I almost always ran into this latino cashier old enough to be my mom in one way or another let it be waiting at the light or walking by and she's outside on her break. Besides that, I suppose I made a connection to her by completely surprising her with my fluent Spanish (thanks irrelevant yet brutal undergrad reqs).

So on one of these shopping trips, she saw and heavily criticized me for buying a bag of tortillas. She said that she will teach me and I thought she was joking at first but she was dead serious.

A trip to her apartment later, I had a godmother and learned how to make tortillas.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 03-12-17, 03:24 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

I feel a cold coming on and instead of enjoying this beautiful Sunday on a bike I'm trying to rest by trolling the webs and reading my book. This kinda sucks after being in class for 10 hours yesterday. Yay weekend
Old 03-13-17, 07:47 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Yeah it's so easy too!

Relevant college story time. Back then, I frequented a grocery store where I almost always ran into this latino cashier old enough to be my mom in one way or another let it be waiting at the light or walking by and she's outside on her break. Besides that, I suppose I made a connection to her by completely surprising her with my fluent Spanish (thanks irrelevant yet brutal undergrad reqs).

So on one of these shopping trips, she saw and heavily criticized me for buying a bag of tortillas. She said that she will teach me and I thought she was joking at first but she was dead serious.

A trip to her apartment later, I had a godmother and learned how to make tortillas.
That is awesome.
Old 03-14-17, 08:30 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

In the past couple weeks more than 50% of my visits to this site are ***** by a full spam ad that takes me off site

Reasons to not bother with these forums are just piling up
Old 03-14-17, 08:40 AM
50voltphantom

Dude, Adblock.
Old 03-14-17, 08:54 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Dude, Adblock.
This is on mobile devices, cant Adblock on phones and tablets, chrome gets some stuff but ive never had this crap before
Old 03-14-17, 09:16 AM
50voltphantom

This is on mobile devices, cant Adblock on phones and tablets, chrome gets some stuff but ive never had this crap before
Ah, sucky.
Old 03-14-17, 09:38 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Interesting. I'm on my iPad right now with Chrome, and don't have this problem. I wonder if it's because I'm a premier member here, and don't see a lot of ads.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-14-17, 10:27 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Tapatalk.
Old 03-14-17, 11:13 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Today I had about a cup's worth of bloody fluid removed from my knee. Orthopedist said i likely didn't tear any ligaments or tendons or chip bone, but definitely did some sort of soft tissue damage possibly part of meniscus or some ligaments. It will heal. Two weeks off the bike to start with.
Old 03-14-17, 11:51 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
damn dude. been there. i've dislocated each knee 3 times. each time i've had to be casted from my toes to my hip. it sucks. wishing you a speedy recovery!!
Old 03-14-17, 11:59 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
WTH? How are you guys injuring your knees? Was this a trauma/injury? Or a long-term/chronic thing? Attempted coasting?
Old 03-14-17, 12:50 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

i was born with lateral sub-luxating kneecaps. they float higher off the joint than normal knees, and the way my ligaments attach around/over it are off to the outside of the knee, so given the right conditions the patella slides off to the side instead of just floating and moving back and forth like its supposed to. Picture the kneecap sliding to the side of your knee joint - pushing your bones into a slight V position instead if straight up and down. I could have surgery but it'd be major surgery with at least 6 months recovery for each knee.

Both of my knees have it, but my right knee was always the one that goes out - I'd say over the course of my 35 years I've dislocated it roughly 50-60 times. Sometimes its running, sometimes walking, sometimes standing and turning wrong. Sometimes when it's a sudden movement like slipping on ice. You just never know. But because it goes out so often it doesn't barely even swell anymore and after 10 minutes I'm back to walking like nothing happened. Those nerves and cartilidge is so messed up my body has adjusted over the years.

But my left knee - this was only the 3rd time. So, that sucker isn't used to it, and it's bad. Was probably softball size swollen. hairy leg pic:

This is one reason I cycle - becasue my knees prevent me from running, or engaging in most sports where you have to move around quickly and pivot on your knees. I golf, I bowl, and I cycle. I never fully extend my leg when pedaling so there is less risk of a dislocation. *knocks on wood*
(also why i don't ride fixed)
Old 03-14-17, 01:30 PM
johnnytheboy

i was also born with that same birth defect. every time my knee dislocates, it slides to the back of my leg and has to be repositioned by an ER doctor. surprisingly, it hasn't happened in over a decade- since i've been riding heavily. my suspicion is that my muscles have developed much more, helping to keep it in place better. all the physical therapy excercises i've learned over the years have been to strengthen the muscles around the knee.
Old 03-14-17, 01:40 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
i was also born with that same birth defect. every time my knee dislocates, it slides to the back of my leg and has to be repositioned by an ER doctor. surprisingly, it hasn't happened in over a decade- since i've been riding heavily. my suspicion is that my muscles have developed much more, helping to keep it in place better. all the physical therapy excercises i've learned over the years have been to strengthen the muscles around the knee.
jesus. that has always been my worst fear and I can't even imagine it. makes me cringe just thinking about it.
i was told a long time ago to try exercises that stry to strentghen the inside thigh muscles, but it didn't get very far. What kind of things did you do?
Old 03-14-17, 02:30 PM
johnnytheboy

Originally Posted by the sci guy
jesus. that has always been my worst fear and I can't even imagine it. makes me cringe just thinking about it.
i was told a long time ago to try exercises that stry to strentghen the inside thigh muscles, but it didn't get very far. What kind of things did you do?
pushing myself backwards for a mile or so while sitting in an office chair (this is one i only did in PT- they have a circular track for jogging and you had to push yourself around for several laps) cycling and using the stretchy band things i got from my physical therapist. they make you do all sorts of crazy stuff.
Old 03-14-17, 03:49 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

holy crap, guys that terrifies me. I have hypermobility in my knees and shoulders, which has always caused problems for me but I never dislocated my kneecap in regular exercise. Unfortuantely, last year I did have two seperate falls that sprained and dislocated my right knee and later sprained my left knee. It has been 12 months since the right knee incident and 5 since the left knee. The healing has been slow going.
Old 03-14-17, 04:15 PM
johnnytheboy

all said and done, i've spent well over 2 years of my life on crutches because of my knees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.