Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXV

Old 05-03-17, 09:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Simple. Make it a 65+ ride.
Not every one of the 55-ers are a-holes so we really don't want to exclude by age group.

One of the worst offenders took so much crap last year about upping the pace that he quit coming. Maybe another pre-ride lecture is in order.

Old 05-03-17, 09:27 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
A few years ago, when I was doing a century every Sunday, there was a rule in the long distance thread, that said if you stop long enough to take your helmet off, you have to count it as two rides
If I ride a hundred mile in my waking hours, it's still a hundred miles whether it's called a century or not.

Old 05-03-17, 09:29 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
PT is kind of a legend in his own right, though. He's just such an ass.
65,000 people watching live youtube coverage of his first test.

IndyCar is lucky if they get that many people in the grandstands at their biggest non-500 race!
Old 05-03-17, 09:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't get it. Just let them go. They either figure it out or they don't. In either case you have the ride you want.
Heard this many times but it doesn't really work in practice. The first guy goes, then the second and so on. Nobody wants to be the one to be dropped. Seen it all of my cycling life.

Old 05-03-17, 09:40 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
A, B, C rides. Thing is, no one admits to being a B or C rider. Sagan could show up, and be the example of an A, and folks would still line up with the A's. On their Schwinn Debbie.
Old 05-03-17, 09:41 AM
LAJ
So it is

I like Paul. Yeah, he has opinions, but he's one of the few I would listen to if I were Alonso. He won the 500, just never got credit for it.
Old 05-03-17, 09:44 AM
LAJ
So it is

Robin Miller is another of my faves. When Wind Tunnel had him on, it was good stuff, and he's still good.
Old 05-03-17, 09:49 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
65,000 people watching live youtube coverage of his first test.

IndyCar is lucky if they get that many people in the grandstands at their biggest non-500 race!
I think St Pete draws more than that every year... I went to that race a couple of times. My office at USF was literally right on top of the track. I never bought tickets, just snuck in opposite the pits. I have nice chunks of Patrick's front wing from the first road race in indycar history.

What are the current numbers for the indy 500, like half a million people?

There are lots of F1 races with poor attendance, too. They have this tendency to hold races in 3rd world countries with no local fan base.
Old 05-03-17, 09:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
We control the weather.
Can you go there, for work?
Old 05-03-17, 09:57 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
If you asked me ~10 years ago, I would have said I would be doing this by now. We had the boat, we had the nest egg, I hated my job and we were not all that happy with where we were living.

I now have no boats, job is fine and we like where we are at... also sailing seemed to lose a lot of its appeal without the heavy consumption of alcohol.

So it goes.

I thought it would be us too. And it still might be, I guess. But I no longer have big aspirations. Maybe head down to Mexico for an extended period of time, but I'm not sure I'm interested in much beyond that.

I cut my teeth sailing in Maine. You have to have your wits about you, there's a lot to keep track of- currents, tides, weather, commercial traffic, and endure a certain amount of discomfort. That all seemed normal to me.

Now though. The weather is pretty much always good here. The navigation is simple. There are few hazards besides cargo ships. You point your boat towards Catalina Island and everything is easy and typically pleasant.

Guess what? Now that's exactly what I want. Minimal danger, no need to be constantly vigilant. A bar and somewhere to ride your mtb once you arrive. Easy. Now I'm totally content to do the same easy-going thing over and over. Fine by me.
Old 05-03-17, 09:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LAJ
A, B, C rides. Thing is, no one admits to being a B or C rider. Sagan could show up, and be the example of an A, and folks would still line up with the A's. On their Schwinn Debbie.
Correct.

Old 05-03-17, 10:08 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Can you go there, for work?
We send people there pretty often. I've never been. I don't get to travel much at all. Damn internet making it unnecessary (and also I usually have multiple projects going on in multiple countries at the same time).

Antarctica and Svalbard would be high on my list, but it's probably not going to happen.
Old 05-03-17, 10:15 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Correct.

Male thing.

I would readily admit to being a B or C rider and would be very appreciative of a ride directed at my level.

The problem with "racer" types who want to push the pace on every f-in ride is that they never include the B or C riders in their group and the B and C riders drift off and start doing gravel rides or or triathalons or centuries or they pick up a mountain bike- all things you can train for without the need for the context of the group ride. And then hand-wringing because entries in race fields for traditional bike races are down, along with declarations that those B and C guys who drifted off to tri did so because all they wanted is a participation trophy.

Um, no. The B and C guys drifted off because you only saw your own goals and desires with your own racing, never saw that you also have a role in bringing new people into the sport. Its actually incredibly easy to to, all you need is to have an easy ride one or two days a week in which you actually keep the pace under control, or if your group is large enough, set up B and C rides as well.

(This is also the reason so few women race BTW. There is literally no one for most women to ride with who would be able to introduce them to the sport.)

The other thing that happens is the B and C guys who no one made a place for go out and get a huge chip on their shoulder about bike racing. They don't see it as a fun thing to aspire to. They see it as something to oppose, a sport in which jerks engage. Its crazy how some of my recreational cycling friends see racing, to the extent that I can't even really interact with them very much any more because I just don't want to hear the constant subtle anti-racing comments.
Old 05-03-17, 10:23 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
Antarctica and Svalbard would be high on my list, but it's probably not going to happen.
If it's any consolation, I'm not going to Svalbard either.
Old 05-03-17, 10:31 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

FWIW, there's not really any stigma around here about that. A, B, C are pace groups, not riders. We get lots of very fast people riding in the C groups (at C pace)... depending on what they want for their training on that day. Some days if the wind is good and it's flat I'll ride A or B to the first stop, then catch the C pace on the way home. If someone wants to push pace, they can go off the front all they want. Seems nobody in my little club cares much.

I guess ironman is big around here, and most people are on plans. I know a gal I've ridden with exclusively in C group at 16mph in the hills dozens of times. I've never seen her go fast. And then she does the bike leg of an ironman at 20mph average.

Last edited by jtaylor996; 05-03-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 10:57 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Male thing.

I would readily admit to being a B or C rider and would be very appreciative of a ride directed at my level.

The problem with "racer" types who want to push the pace on every f-in ride is that they never include the B or C riders in their group and the B and C riders drift off and start doing gravel rides or or triathalons or centuries or they pick up a mountain bike- all things you can train for without the need for the context of the group ride. And then hand-wringing because entries in race fields for traditional bike races are down, along with declarations that those B and C guys who drifted off to tri did so because all they wanted is a participation trophy.

Um, no. The B and C guys drifted off because you only saw your own goals and desires with your own racing, never saw that you also have a role in bringing new people into the sport. Its actually incredibly easy to to, all you need is to have an easy ride one or two days a week in which you actually keep the pace under control, or if your group is large enough, set up B and C rides as well.

(This is also the reason so few women race BTW. There is literally no one for most women to ride with who would be able to introduce them to the sport.)

The other thing that happens is the B and C guys who no one made a place for go out and get a huge chip on their shoulder about bike racing. They don't see it as a fun thing to aspire to. They see it as something to oppose, a sport in which jerks engage. Its crazy how some of my recreational cycling friends see racing, to the extent that I can't even really interact with them very much any more because I just don't want to hear the constant subtle anti-racing comments.
Yes. Totally correct.

When I was. Cat 2, I generally placed in every race. The guys in my club who did poorly would thrash themselves at the next training ride almost like penance for doing poorly. It got so bad that I quit going to training rides except for a Wednesday night training criterium. The rest of the time, I trained alone and my results improved greatly. Guys asked me why I never came to training rides anymore and I gave them the standard line: I train to race, you race to train.

It's true. Their "race" was bludgeoning each other on training rides and were too wore out on weekends to actually do well and n a race.

I knew many a Cat 3 that was way stronger than myself but couldn't perform in a race.

Old 05-03-17, 11:12 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
Well that escalated.... about exactly as history would have predicted.
Correct.
Old 05-03-17, 11:13 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My money is on @Mumonkan. That guy is a jerk.
seriously.

new job has kept me pretty busy so i barely look at forums anymore. plus my body has been a bit of a d-bag in recent times so i havent been doing much riding either, reading bfs would only make more sadz
Old 05-03-17, 11:14 AM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by LAJ
Also correct.
Old 05-03-17, 11:16 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Mumonkan
seriously.

new job has kept me pretty busy so i barely look at forums anymore. plus my body has been a bit of a d-bag in recent times so i havent been doing much riding either, reading bfs would only make more sadz

FYI not riding a bike and posting in this thread are not mutually exclusive. Just ask RJones.
Old 05-03-17, 11:23 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Yes. Totally correct.

When I was. Cat 2, I generally placed in every race. The guys in my club who did poorly would thrash themselves at the next training ride almost like penance for doing poorly. It got so bad that I quit going to training rides except for a Wednesday night training criterium. The rest of the time, I trained alone and my results improved greatly. Guys asked me why I never came to training rides anymore and I gave them the standard line: I train to race, you race to train.

It's true. Their "race" was bludgeoning each other on training rides and were too wore out on weekends to actually do well and n a race.

I knew many a Cat 3 that was way stronger than myself but couldn't perform in a race.

The biggest change to my riding that coach has gotten my head wrapped around is that mostly it makes sense for me to ride solo. The TT intervals require a lot of focus and its not like you're even processing the presence of anyone else on the ride when you're doing those.

If I have a longer JRA ride, you would not believe the amt of **** I get from my non-racing friends. Either its criticism for having a fitter (duh, TT bike and OMG I can't get the guy to charge me anything for my follow-ups, so why not?) or for caring about aerodynamics. Or its someone riding up to me spontaneously to tell me how they're "not competitive". (OK, I get it. You are "nice". I am "competitive". Mea culpa.) Or someone telling me how a power meter is unnecessary for TTs and all you really need is a watch. Lol. I used to spend a lot of time smiling and nodding in response to slightly passive-aggressive comments. Now I just skip riding with most of those people, it just gets tiresome.

I'd rather ride with the race-oriented people because they're actually jazzed and glad for you if you get faster and fitter and they see cycling as an athletic endeavor in the same way I do. Its just a better overall vibe for me. But they inevitably cannot stick to the easy rides (Mon and Thurs) being easy and I just solo TT 75% of the ride anyway. Sure everyone stops and waits but then I don't bother stopping, I just roll through the regroup so as not to slow everything down. So at some point you aren't really on a group ride and unless coffee is going to be had, why bother? There's more convenient ride times for me than 6pm on a weekday.

Overall this sounds like a complaint and its not really, at least towards my race-oriented club, I like those guys and sometimes ride with them just to keep up the friendship. They are actually pretty nice, its just a huge gulf physiologically for me that is probably never going to be crossed. But its so incredibly obvious to me why bike racing is comprised of the slice of humanity that it is, and it has nothing to do with the participation trophy mentality and everything to do with access/exposure to the sport.
Old 05-03-17, 11:29 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I ranted a bit about this in another thread. This whole racer/non-racer distinction is such garbage. There is this whole "you think you're better than me?" knee jerk reaction from many people who have not raced. Actually, no. I don't. I just ride bikes and like going fast occasionally. Sorry that's offensive to some.

We're all on bikes, we all have different goals and motivations. Putting people in boxes is not productive and just breeds bitterness.
Old 05-03-17, 11:33 AM
sbxx1985 

Its crazy how some of my recreational cycling friends see racing, to the extent that I can't even really interact with them very much any more because I just don't want to hear the constant subtle anti-racing comments.
33 v. 41.

There was a time when all the 33 guys were in the 41 and everyone got along. Then the racer attitude started and the 33 were told to play amongst themselves. Everyone should be in the same forum, but it would never work because everyone would behave poorly.
Old 05-03-17, 11:36 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Putting people in boxes is not productive and just breeds bitterness.
Except the 55+ box. That one serves a valuable purpose.
Old 05-03-17, 11:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Recovery ride with coffee this am.

Happy people make me smile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.