Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 08:31 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
As I read this, I can hear the hinterland whos who theme in the background. Only those of us from Canada and of a certain age would get that I think.
Got it in one!

Had both that Cdn. institution and David Attenborough in mind.

Last edited by badger1; 02-17-21 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Appalling copy edit error.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-17-21, 09:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Am I drinking alone here, or is everyone else downing a few?
All my bikes are rim brake. But the premise that the bike industry changed to disc to sell more bikes is ridiculous. Every industry employs new technology that is typically embraced by many and rejected by few.

Auto keyless entry is great, but if you do water sports it is a royal pain. No one is going to take a fob along and paddle out. Thankfully I have a chip key.

John
Old 02-17-21, 09:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

The Dead Milkmen had a a great song in the '80s that sums this thread up nice "Takin' R****ds to the Zoo"
Death Rides a Pale Cow. R.I.P. Dave Blood. I saw them play at a frat before they released their first album in ‘85.

Saw Electric Love Muffin at the same frat and some DJ named Jazzy Jeff (before he became famous).

Those were the days.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-17-21 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-21, 10:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Auto keyless entry is great, but if you do water sports it is a royal pain. No one is going to take a fob along and paddle out. Thankfully I have a chip key.

John
Wet fobs are a thing of the past when stowed in a waterproof case/bag that is attached to a QDC lanyard. That modern keyless entry tech just created jobs for another market...
Old 02-17-21, 10:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
All my bikes are rim brake. But the premise that the bike industry changed to disc to sell more bikes is ridiculous. Every industry employs new technology that is typically embraced by many and rejected by few.

John
I agree that the industry changing to disc brakes was not to sell more bikes. In any industry the more of any one thing you make, causes the price to go down because of economies of scale. They saw the demand for a better braking system, and they responded. It is now cheaper for them to sell all disc brake bikes than it is to sell both rim brakes and disc brakes. Pure and simple.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-18-21 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-17-21, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
All my bikes are rim brake. But the premise that the bike industry changed to disc to sell more bikes is ridiculous.
Of course that's ridiculous. Rather, the bike industry sold in the whole wide rim, fat tire thing, leading to selling more disc brakes.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-17-21, 04:54 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Past 6 years since I've joined the Bike Forums, could always tell we are in middle of winter. Not by looking out the window, or seeing my bike on the trainer, but by the same arguments over every winter.

It's hilarious, each time, it started out with one thought and balloons into many different subjects.

Very entertaining! Thanks all!
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-17-21, 06:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Past 6 years since I've joined the Bike Forums, could always tell we are in middle of winter. Not by looking out the window, or seeing my bike on the trainer, but by the same arguments over every winter.

It's hilarious, each time, it started out with one thought and balloons into many different subjects.

Very entertaining! Thanks all!
Lol! At least it’s not a knock down drag out battle over Rene Herse. Maybe we can do that next month, before temps start to rise.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-17-21, 07:02 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Isn't the goal of employing new technology that will be embraced by many to sell more product?
Old 02-17-21, 08:08 PM
70sSanO

The goal of any business is to make money; i.e profit. Developing and selling new products are designed by nature to generate more sales and more profit and ultimately market share along the way.

The Suntour vs Shimano saga of the late 80’s and 90’s was an example of new products that were embraced by the consumer and resulted in profitable product lines and the demise of Suntour as a competitor.

This market share allowed for such developments as rapid rise rear derailleurs. These were not well received by consumers and the evidence is a Shimano product design that has been completely ignored by third party manufactures. If there were any redeeming qualities Microshift or others would have incorporated that design.

So yes while it is the goal, embracing that technology is another question. If disc brakes were in the same category as rapid rise derailleurs, people would dismiss disc brakes and continue to use rim brakes, in the same way as top normal rear derailleurs, and the people at Mavic would be dancing in the streets.

John
Old 02-17-21, 08:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
137 posts and still no link to the "honest opinion piece" that inspired this thread? Hmm ... I just remembered, I recently read a really truly absolutely positively so-help-me-god objective article that states:

Every single racer on the world tour, except Chris Froome, thinks rim brakes are for poopy heads.
That should settle it ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-21, 12:10 PM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm fine with rim brakes on my road bikes, but I could never go back to rim brakes on my MTB. That's just nonsense! People will get out of my way if I can't stop fast enough, trees don't budge.
Totally agree. Where/how I ride, rim brakes are fine for my road bikes. My road rides are mostly flat and relatively dry, so I don't personally see the advantage. However, they are indispensable on my mountain bike.
Likes For tonymarch:
Old 02-22-21, 12:33 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
All bicycle brakes are disc brakes.
Old 02-22-21, 01:03 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread (apologies in advance) but I'll add one reason to the 'plus' column for disc brakes.
Specifically for those of us who aren't pros or otherwise sponsored with free new wheels/bikes/components (aka 97% of those on BF) and those of us who don't have the sort of disposable income to replace or otherwise buy new wheels on a regular basis. Disc brakes are great because the wear & tear is between the pad and rotor, not the rim. I realize replacing disc pads and rotors isn't free, but it's a hell of a lot more cost effective (and easier) than replacing a worn out rim. Especially if one likes to ride fancy carbon wheels.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 02-22-21, 01:09 PM
Bfduhon

Bikes: 1978 Trek, Indy Fab Club Racer 2004 , Waterford touring 2010, Waterford Sport Tourer 2015 and Santana Tandem of unknown vintage

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 6 bikes & 8 sets of wheels. Most are interchangeable. Woe is me to convert.
Old 02-23-21, 05:32 AM
Lee Eckhart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed. After 55 years of riding, moved to thru and discs at age 67, now 72, will never go back. They are just that good whether hydraulic or mechanical. MHO
Likes For Lee Eckhart:
Old 02-23-21, 06:18 AM
Tim Dunn
Old Time newbie

Bikes: Colnago, Raleigh International, my home built touring frame from 1977, Seven, Hispano France Pista, couple others..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
rim brakes stop you quicker. at least with what I compare the with
I have several bikes with Campy rim brakes, one from the 70's and one that is about 10 years old. Aluminum rims on bike from 70's, Zipp carbon on newer bike. All tuned up properly they work very very well except for the carbon wheels in the rain. At that point the braking effectiveness goes way way down. About 3 years ago I was making twisty steepish descent (14%) in heavy rain and got pretty spooked when I started to accelerate on the descent. Despite pulling on the brake levers so hard I was sure I was going to break a cable or the lever, I sped up from only 13-14 mph to over 20 which doesn't sound like much but the fact I was accelerating and not decelerating made me sure at the time I was going down. Managed to keep my line for the turn at the bottom of the hill and got it back under control when the hill started to go back up. Whew.

The next year I purchased a Giant Defy Advanced with cable operated disk brakes. Incredible improvement over the Campy brakes and this is with a relatively cheap set of disks brakes. My mountain bike with hydraulic disks is even better, by a lot.
I've ridden (and raced a bit back in the day) for 50 years and with the exception of the scary rain incident, caliper brakes have served me well. However, there is no question in my mind that disks are simply superior and I would never buy a new bike without them. YMMV

Tim
Old 02-23-21, 11:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread (apologies in advance) but I'll add one reason to the 'plus' column for disc brakes.
Specifically for those of us who aren't pros or otherwise sponsored with free new wheels/bikes/components (aka 97% of those on BF) and those of us who don't have the sort of disposable income to replace or otherwise buy new wheels on a regular basis. Disc brakes are great because the wear & tear is between the pad and rotor, not the rim. I realize replacing disc pads and rotors isn't free, but it's a hell of a lot more cost effective (and easier) than replacing a worn out rim. Especially if one likes to ride fancy carbon wheels.
Very true. Whole disc brakes systems can be bought for less than $100. CF rims alone seem to sell for around $350. Then there is the cost of rebuilding the wheel set.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-23-21, 03:28 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
"Why should I wax my chain? It isn't hairy. "

Maybe it needs a bike-ini wax for the Summer
Likes For stephr1:
Old 02-23-21, 06:30 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I recall seeing as a kid a front wheel brake on easy going town bikes that was a rubber pad pressing on the tire from above, like in this picture of bike made in 1900. But it was not anything antique like this one, also the mechanism was 'more modern' than this, it was still made in 1960s in Europe. Talk about easy maintenance, adjustability, in my books that beats any rim or disk brake anyday. I bet you that is still used in rural China today.

=================================================================
And honestly, who need this $%^&*
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...sc-brakes.html

Last edited by vane171; 02-23-21 at 07:19 PM.
Likes For vane171:
Old 02-23-21, 11:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I recall seeing as a kid a front wheel brake on easy going town bikes that was a rubber pad pressing on the tire from above, like in this picture of bike made in 1900. But it was not anything antique like this one, also the mechanism was 'more modern' than this, it was still made in 1960s in Europe. Talk about easy maintenance, adjustability, in my books that beats any rim or disk brake anyday. I bet you that is still used in rural China today.
Some people will argue it is superior to both disc brakes and rim brakes, because the diameter is bigger.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-23-21, 11:38 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I ride a Thorn Mercury with a Rohloff hub and Thorn supplied this bike with a BB7 disc brake on the rear so as to not have to re-rim the Rohloff too frequently and on the front I have an XT V brake (rim brake.)

Much is said about far better modulation with a disc brake which may well be the case with hydros but I find the modulation easier on my front V brake than on the rear BB7.

At my age (1942 model) I am unlikely to ever go back to a derailleur bike but if I did it would be with electronic shifting, it is a no brainer but last time I looked it seemed about 20% more expensive than a Rohloff.

Mike
Old 02-24-21, 01:04 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
The goal of any business is to make money; i.e profit. Developing and selling new products are designed by nature to generate more sales and more profit and ultimately market share along the way.

The Suntour vs Shimano saga of the late 80’s and 90’s was an example of new products that were embraced by the consumer and resulted in profitable product lines and the demise of Suntour as a competitor.

This market share allowed for such developments as rapid rise rear derailleurs. These were not well received by consumers and the evidence is a Shimano product design that has been completely ignored by third party manufactures. If there were any redeeming qualities Microshift or others would have incorporated that design.

So yes while it is the goal, embracing that technology is another question. If disc brakes were in the same category as rapid rise derailleurs, people would dismiss disc brakes and continue to use rim brakes, in the same way as top normal rear derailleurs, and the people at Mavic would be dancing in the streets.

John
I used to run Rapid Rise XTR on my mountain bikes. I loved it, but not many others did so it went the way of the do do bird. As for disk brakes, I started running disk brakes around 2010 on my mountain bikes and I will NEVER go back. I bought my first road/CX/gravel bike with disk brakes in 2017 and I will NEVER go back. That was my CAADX and it has cable actuated disks and it still better than rim brakes in any condition. I put in over 10,000 miles a year for the past 20+ years, so I've experienced all of the different variations of rim brakes.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 02-24-21, 02:59 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Snotrub
I used to run Rapid Rise XTR on my mountain bikes. I loved it, but not many others did so it went the way of the do do bird. As for disk brakes, I started running disk brakes around 2010 on my mountain bikes and I will NEVER go back. I bought my first road/CX/gravel bike with disk brakes in 2017 and I will NEVER go back. That was my CAADX and it has cable actuated disks and it still better than rim brakes in any condition. I put in over 10,000 miles a year for the past 20+ years, so I've experienced all of the different variations of rim brakes.
Don’t tell anyone, but I still run Rapid Rise (760 & 960) even with a 40t and a RoadLink. I will say that it is important to be able to ease off make good downshifts and not just force the chain over under high stress. With a top normal people can just use the cable to force it over, for better or worse.

John

Edit added: But I’m not running disc brakes. My parents couldn’t afford to send me to a good school when I was a kid.
Old 02-24-21, 05:08 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I hope you are going to share the popcorn, this thread will be interesting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.