Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc brake adjustment bliss

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-19-21, 09:37 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts

Was having some frustration with getting calipers positioned just right for silent rolling.

Stumbled on the following technique, probably old news to many, but maybe helpful for some new to hydraulic disc brakes.

If you loosen the caliper mounting bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and tighten the bolts, your brakes may drag if the pads don't retract equally. In that case, shine a light to see which side is rubbing. Then repeat the procedure, but slip a feeler gauge between the rotor and the pad on the side that rubbed, before squeezing lever and tightening bolts. A 0.015" feeler gauge is a good place to start, and you can use a larger or smaller one if the first try still results in rubbing pads.

I recently bought a disc brake alignment tool, but it didn't eliminate drag. The feeler gauge achieves both alignment and even spacing; bliss!
Old 03-19-21, 11:56 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I've used a business card in the past with some success.
Likes For Berg417448:
Old 03-19-21, 11:59 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Credit cards are too thick. Ask me how I know....
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 03-19-21, 06:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
A beverage straw without the wrapper from a fastfood place works in place of the feeler gage.
Old 03-20-21, 02:12 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have a set of giant feeler gauges that I use for this. In the absence of that, taking the blade out of the set works to keep it from falling out. You can also get some shim stock the right thickness, and use that instead of a gauge.

Old 03-21-21, 08:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
TRP Spyres retract both sides. Tightening the mounting bolts with the caliper clamp works perfectly every time. One of the main things I like about that model.
Old 03-08-22, 05:11 PM
tleeds

Bikes: Pegoretti, Branca, Raleigh International ('74), Litespeed Vortex (1996), Merlin, Trek Emonda SL, Specalized Epic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
feeler gauge is the key

A .017 worked for me this time. Simple, satisfying process. I used a rubber ring for mounting a Garmin unit to hold the brake closed while I tightened the caliper bolts. The brake pressure held the feeler blade in place, leaving both hands available. Thanks so much for the tip.

Stumbled on the following technique, probably old news to many, but maybe helpful for some new to hydraulic disc brakes.

If you loosen the caliper mounting bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and tighten the bolts, your brakes may drag if the pads don't retract equally. In that case, shine a light to see which side is rubbing. Then repeat the procedure, but slip a feeler gauge between the rotor and the pad on the side that rubbed, before squeezing lever and tightening bolts. A 0.015" feeler gauge is a good place to start, and you can use a larger or smaller one if the first try still results in rubbing pads.

I recently bought a disc brake alignment tool, but it didn't eliminate drag. The feeler gauge achieves both alignment and even spacing; bliss![/QUOTE]
Old 03-08-22, 09:37 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Was having some frustration with getting calipers positioned just right for silent rolling.

I recently bought a disc brake alignment tool, but it didn't eliminate drag. The feeler gauge achieves both alignment and even spacing; bliss!
I’ve always used a piece of cereal box cardboard. 👍
Old 03-08-22, 09:43 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
A tool for the job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a couple that would nto work on my Shimano brakes I will give them to someone for the cost of postage.
Old 03-09-22, 01:09 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Berg417448
I've used a business card in the past with some success.
The perfect "tool".
Old 03-12-22, 06:30 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Great advice. Thank you. I will now start the hunt for a feeler gauge.