Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Defy 1 and 3 worth price difference

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 04:22 PM
dizzydtrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went to test ride a few bikes this weekend after initially being interested in the diverge. Tried out the defy 1 and 3 after testing out the synapse and roubaix compact from 2013.

The price difference between the 2014 Defy 1 and 3 is around $360 for an upgrade to an aluxx sl frame and 105 components. Is this worth the price over the Aluxx frame and sora? In all honesty, I felt like the Defy 3 rode just as well and shifted identical. I will admit the the 105 shifted quicker but the bike is intended for fitness riding.

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-15, 04:40 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
In general, I say go with the best bike you can reasonably afford. However, if you really can't tell the difference, then maybe go with the cheaper bike. I went through this with my wife a few years back. She test rode two Jamis road bikes. Difference was a couple of hundred bucks. I asked which one she liked better. She said she liked the cheaper one better. I said the more expensive one had better shifters and a lighter fork. My wife shrugged her shoulders and said she still liked the cheaper one.
Old 06-21-15, 06:35 PM
puckalish

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote is for the cheaper bike. I mean... I used to have a Defy 5 (the cheapest of the line) and it was plenty comfortable and speedy enough for what I was doing (commuting, training up for a century, long rides, fitness)...

Speaking of fitness, the difference in the frame is that the Defy 1 is a lighter, yet still strong, aluminum... the difference will be negligible next to any weight you lose off of your actual body.

105s are better than the Soras, sure, but, again, if you're getting it for training, the difference may not really be worth it.

If you have the extra money to spend, get other stuff for the ride.
Old 06-21-15, 06:45 PM
mrfreezesdefy3

Bikes: 2016 giant advanced carbon disc bike ,w HED belgiums,dt swiss 350 hubs,all new ultegra drive train etc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike was the 3 I love it my lbs said the gears and shifting would be better for me but the defy 1 looked sweet I just couldn't see more $ for my first bike
Old 06-22-15, 07:50 AM
dizzydtrain

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I Think the 3 will be my bike soon. really like everything about it, looks, performance, and price. Definitely a frame worth keeping for a while.
Old 06-23-15, 11:00 AM
AlexGS1

Bikes: Surly Cross Check 1x9 with Jones H Bar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same dilemma just a few weeks ago. Luckily, it was solved by a shop having a barely used DEFY 1 available in my size for the same price as a DEFY 3. I can't say which to choose, but I can say that I am enjoying the 105 group a lot, and it is noticeably better than the SORA/CLARIS components I was using while test riding a few models.