Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
This is going to sound stupid, but I actually have a hard time pacing myself slower when I am alone. And I think it’s because I’m not sure how. I’ve tried keeping my speed slower but at some point it creeps back up and then it’s harder work for me to slow down if that makes sense.
No, I understand completely. That's why I was mentioning HR zones the other day in regards to longer rides. Like mvnsnd mentioned, pay more attention to HR than speed. If you can, configure a screen on your computer that doesn't even have a field for speed. You'll feel like a knob early on, but you'll get used to it and you'll be thankful when you start to really stretch out your rides.
Old 06-15-20, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Would you do the 170+ ride in one day, or would this be a @Velo Vol ride with a long rest stop?? Personally, the longest ride I have ever done was about 120 miles and the last few were painful. My ideal "long" ride these days is 85-90 miles, would consider a century for a special occasion especially if/when group rides are happening.
Other than necessary bathroom/refueling stops, I would do it in one shot. One advantage is that the Twin Cities are relatively flat and, once I'm north of the metro, it's even flatter - damn near bampilot06 and Trsnrtr flat. I've plotted the route on Strava, and there's only ~2,300' of gain over that 170 miles. As long as I don't have wind in my face the entire time, it shouldn't be too bad - there aren't really any hills that would burn matches for a guy my size.

I think that I did 3 or 4 centuries last year. One so far this year. Longest is still only 108 miles, though.
Old 06-15-20, 07:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
I thought about taking my seatpost off and taking it to the bike store, rather than the entire bike. Loosened the clamp but the post seems stuck. Won't move. Guess I won't be doing that.

Mechanicaling is hard.
Old 06-15-20, 07:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I thought about taking my seatpost off and taking it to the bike store, rather than the entire bike. Loosened the clamp but the post seems stuck. Won't move. Guess I won't be doing that.

Mechanicaling is hard.
There is always the Coca-Cola trick.
Old 06-15-20, 07:58 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by datlas
There is always the Coca-Cola trick.
As if I know any tricks.
Old 06-15-20, 08:01 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after, this is one of the things that shows the age of the people here. It's not about the objective quality of the music (however you'd define that); it's about the music being nostalgic to your youth. Not for nothing, the exalted '70s music was when the boomers were teens, so it is naturally loved by the largest age cohort.

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.
I'm not a fan of the "Classic Rock" radio stations, or the concept itself. Once I've heard something tens of thousands of times, I want to move on. A lot of what I love from the past doesn't make it on to those radio stations, anyway.

In LA we have 2 so called "Alternative Rock" stations. They have very limited playlists and just copy each other. It's not uncommon for them to play the same song at the same time, or close to it.

The one station where I can consistently hear new stuff is a public station at Cal State Northridge. Lots of local bands and new stuff you wouldn't hear anywhere else.

I want new stuff, always have. I've worked with people who want to listen to the same 12 songs all day, every day, for years. The 50s do-wop stuff is the worst, to me. A guy I know sings along with Loco Motion, and all the other ones, each time he hears them. He'll listen to it all day at work, then plays the CDs in his car.
Old 06-15-20, 08:28 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I used to let it disturb me, but I found peace when I realized it was crap.
Well and I notice newer cars looking like crap compared to what I drooled over as a teenager, which I was told were crap by older people at the time.

And in line with your profession, wow do I think the teen-series fighters looked better than the F-22 and especially F-35.
Old 06-15-20, 08:28 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
how does one do this?
Longer and longer rides, with little to no food consumed. That's the easy way. I know it sounds simple and it really is when you think about it. Unfortunately, the bonk and 600 calorie an hour crowd have convinced folks that fueling is absolutely necessary to ride across the street. If you have a somewhat healthy diet, and eat somewhat regularly, it's just a matter of time for your body to to do what it needs to do to keep moving.

If you had a normal day the day before, you start the day with 1800 calories in the bank. You can ride a hard-ish 50-60 miles with water, and have a couple hundred calories left over. When done, a whey protein chaser, and go on about your day. As you progress, you'll realize you're not really hungry, but being thirsty is a real thing. Do not ignore that on hot days, because that will wreck a ride quicker than anything. I think much of the "bonk" stuff I've heard about, is dehydration, not being hangry.

Ride as hard as you want, continue to increase the distance and have a couple Nutri-Grain bars in your pocket as a security blanket. Do the ride knowing your body will take care of you, as long as you aren't doing something silly.

I can do a club century on two bottles, on a somewhat cool day. Granted, it's Roctane, but it's easily doable. The reason for that is: I get to stop pedaling here and there. I get to coast, I get breaks on the bike. It's tougher on a Z2 ride, simply because none of that's an option. I'm not keto by any stretch, but I don't live on carbs either. I rarely eat bread, most carbs are veggie type stuff, and most of the protein I eat is white meat, either turkey or chicken, along with a couple 25g protein whey drinks a day.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 06-15-20, 08:34 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11953 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Technically, you are old enough to be my daddy. Too old to be in the Hall & Oates demographic.
What?!?!?

Hall & Oates's best stuff was in the 80's, which means he was only in his 30's then.
Old 06-15-20, 08:39 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
What?!?!?

Hall & Oates's best stuff was in the 80's, which means he was only in his 30's then.
Most people I know weren't listening to top 40 music, by the time they where in their 30s.
Old 06-15-20, 08:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after . . .
I would never say 70s music was better than ALL that came after it. For example in just the following decade alone we experienced legends like Prince, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Luther Vandross, Elton John, as well as the early stages of Rap.

What the 70s DID have exclusively was an unbelievable amount of talent, spread about amongst a wide variety of genres. For some reason we may never see such a concentration of talent and diverse popular music again.
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,179 Times in 2,222 Posts
Well and I notice newer cars looking like crap compared to what I drooled over as a teenager, which I was told were crap by older people at the time.

And in line with your profession, wow do I think the teen-series fighters looked better than the F-22 and especially F-35.
Nothing sexy about the F22 or F35. F14 transforms my pants, and taking back to ww2, On both sides the planes looked good. P51, P38, even the FW190 was nice looking.
Prettiest was the spitfire IMO.
Old 06-15-20, 09:02 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just imagine how good they could have been had they had more than three decent songs.
You're Out of Touch . . . there was also Man-Eater, One On One, She's Gone, I Can't Go For That, Say It Isn't So, and those are only the ones I see in my library.
Old 06-15-20, 09:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
You're Out of Touch . . . there was also Man-Eater, One On One, She's Gone, I Can't Go For That, Say It Isn't So, and those are only the ones I see in my library.
"Decent" is the key. She's Gone. Rich Girl. Sarah Smile.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

I should be doing this at this very moment, local time. But I am not.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33013239

Sad.

Then again, it's only 55 degree at the lower elevation, and it's supposed to rain later.
Old 06-15-20, 09:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.
I used to let it disturb me, but I found peace when I realized it was crap.
Old 06-15-20, 09:26 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Not a new song, but a great version of one of my favorite songs.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-15-20, 09:32 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LAJ
Longer and longer rides, with little to no food consumed. That's the easy way. I know it sounds simple and it really is when you think about it. Unfortunately, the bonk and 600 calorie an hour crowd have convinced folks that fueling is absolutely necessary to ride across the street. If you have a somewhat healthy diet, and eat somewhat regularly, it's just a matter of time for your body to to do what it needs to do to keep moving.
Yep.
Old 06-15-20, 09:32 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Nothing sexy about the F22 or F35. F14 transforms my pants, and taking back to ww2, On both sides the planes looked good. P51, P38, even the FW190 was nice looking.
Prettiest was the spitfire IMO.
F14 is my fave too, but also love the F16 and F18.
Old 06-15-20, 09:36 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Old 06-15-20, 09:39 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,179 Times in 2,222 Posts
I think I might just htfu and ride in the rain today. I didn’t really want to do it to my bike, but I don’t think it’s going to hurt anything. And for once I have the time.
Old 06-15-20, 09:42 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 978 Posts
F14 is my fave too, but also love the F16 and F18.
Many years ago I worked in a building pretty close where the ANG 174th Attack Wing F-16s took off (before this group changed to drones).

Was always amazed at their ability to go vertical almost immediately after takeoff.
Old 06-15-20, 10:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10149 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

If you had a normal day the day before, you start the day with 1800 calories in the bank. You can ride a hard-ish 50-60 miles with water, and have a couple hundred calories left over. When done, a whey protein chaser, and go on about your day. As you progress, you'll realize you're not really hungry, but being thirsty is a real thing. Do not ignore that on hot days, because that will wreck a ride quicker than anything. I think much of the "bonk" stuff I've heard about, is dehydration, not being hangry.

Ride as hard as you want, continue to increase the distance and have a couple Nutri-Grain bars in your pocket as a security blanket. Do the ride knowing your body will take care of you, as long as you aren't doing something silly.

I can do a club century on two bottles, on a somewhat cool day. Granted, it's Roctane, but it's easily doable. The reason for that is: I get to stop pedaling here and there. I get to coast, I get breaks on the bike. It's tougher on a Z2 ride, simply because none of that's an option. I'm not keto by any stretch, but I don't live on carbs either. I rarely eat bread, most carbs are veggie type stuff, and most of the protein I eat is white meat, either turkey or chicken, along with a couple 25g protein whey drinks a day.
Yup.

My ride length is limited to well under century length by other factors, but I don't need to eat for anything under about 3.5 hrs, which for me translates into about a 60 mi ride mostly in Z2. It's just a matter of amping up the enzyme systems that scavenge fats etc. and convert them into alternative fuels and glucose after you've depleted your muscle and liver glycogen. That is trained, as LAJ says, by successively longer rides without food.

I also agree that water and sodium are the first and most critical need in warm weather and you can bonk pretty quick if you start to run out of one of them.

As for riding with protein snacks, forget it. They actually require energy metabolize! If you want energy, eat carbs and there is no point in carrying anything else. When you're on the edge of bonking, you live from gel to gel.

As for the lack of hunger from hard cycling once you're metabolically trained, it's actually a problem and why I look like camp survivor. After burning the same number of calories in a day of sailing, I will eat drywall with mayonnaise and enjoy it.

And the diet: Vegetables, vegetable protein, milk protein, eggs, meat a couple of times a week, and moderate amounts of whole grains and fruit. No bread, no desserts.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-15-20, 10:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
As if I know any tricks.
One fun trick you MIGHT know is the flutter tongue technique. Can you do it??
Old 06-15-20, 10:26 AM
indyfabz

Today I learned what a fistulotomy is. From a zombie thread no less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.