Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bicycle helmet-friendly ski goggles?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 09:53 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's getting cold enough now that I'm looking for some ski goggles for my commute. I wear glasses, so I need "over the glasses" (OTG) goggles, but the first pair that I purchased (Smith Performas) are way too tall on my face to wear with my standard Bell bowl-shaped bike helmet.

Any advice from fellow winter commuters? I tried going without goggles, but starting around 15-20 degrees F, I just can't take it once I get moving.
Old 01-25-11, 11:14 PM
Ipedaltahoe

Bikes: Motobecane Single Speed, Trek Mountain Track Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear glasses too and wear clear goggles over my glasses only when it snows. I found mine at a ski shop and have no idea what kind they are, Smith logo maybe? Best bet is to head out with glasses and helmet in tow to shops and start checking out.
Usually I take my glasses off when I ride as its just easier than de-fogging glasses.
Old 01-25-11, 11:51 PM
alr

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte, Raleigh DL-1 lady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get a Bern helmet or some other multipurpose helmet that is designed to be worn with goggles. I don't wear goggles when I bike, but I do wear them when I ski, and I use the same helmet for both.
Old 01-26-11, 03:19 PM
RaleighComp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it got down to zero F the other day I used my Bolle ski goggles for the first time. Like the OP said, they were too tall with my helmet, but not way too tall. I rode semi-comfortably with them, but my bell helmet also pushed them down on my nose, pinching it closed about half way. I was thinking of looking for a pair that were even a half inch less tall and I think that would work out perfect for those zero temp days. I don't wear prescription glasses, so even a few degrees warmer, like 10F, I'm still fine with my cycling shades.
Old 01-26-11, 04:34 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighComp
When it got down to zero F the other day I used my Bolle ski goggles for the first time. Like the OP said, they were too tall with my helmet, but not way too tall. I rode semi-comfortably with them, but my bell helmet also pushed them down on my nose, pinching it closed about half way. I was thinking of looking for a pair that were even a half inch less tall and I think that would work out perfect for those zero temp days. I don't wear prescription glasses, so even a few degrees warmer, like 10F, I'm still fine with my cycling shades.
Found a pair at a thrift store for 2.99. Whenever it's really cold they work real well in terms of not fogging up. Had no issues w/them fitting under my helmet. I use a Bell standard road helmet.