Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Katy Trail Social, July 9 & 10

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-13-16, 10:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

Emphasis is on social. We've done this ride a couple of times previously and had a wonderful time. Post or PM me if you'd like more details.
Old 05-14-16, 10:24 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Tour de Donut in Staunton IL or the Katy Trail on that Saturday? Decisions. Decisions.
I should be able to do the Sunday ride either way.
Old 05-14-16, 04:06 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep me posted, I may be available for Saturday.
Old 05-14-16, 04:37 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
This will be the route and the plan for the Edwardsville route on July 10th: Edwardsville tour in Edwardsville, IL, United States | MapMyRide

We will depart from LaClaire Park, 750 Madison Ave Edwardsville 62025 at 10:00 am.

We will stop for Brunch and coffee in Downtown Edwardsville at 11:00. A post-ride vintage bike show will start at the end of the ride at 1:00 PM. Food and beverages will be served post-ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-14-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 09:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
This will be the route and the plan for the Edwardsville route on July 10th: Edwardsville tour in Edwardsville, IL, United States | MapMyRide

We will depart from LaClaire Park, 750 Madison Ave Edwardsville 62025 at 10:00 am.

We will stop for Brunch and coffee in Downtown Edwardsville at 11:00. A post-ride vintage bike show will start at the end of the ride at 1:00 PM. Food and beverages will be served post-ride.
Good idea. I really like the idea of a vintage bike show at the end. Is that a mostly bike path ride? We have a couple of confirmed riders who are a little intimidated about riding on high traffic roads and who might want to short cut the 32 mile distance. I'd definitely like to accommodate them since I'm married to one.
Old 05-19-16, 07:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Good idea. I really like the idea of a vintage bike show at the end. Is that a mostly bike path ride? We have a couple of confirmed riders who are a little intimidated about riding on high traffic roads and who might want to short cut the 32 mile distance. I'd definitely like to accommodate them since I'm married to one.
90% of the route is on the Madison County bike path system. The remainder are on safe streets with light traffic.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-19-16, 09:22 AM
Retro Grouch 

Perfect!
Old 05-19-16, 10:16 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
We are still planning to be there. 32 miles is a good ride for me, but my wife will definitely want to shortcut that as well, probably by at least half. Maybe we could form two groups and meet up later?
Old 05-19-16, 01:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
We are still planning to be there. 32 miles is a good ride for me, but my wife will definitely want to shortcut that as well, probably by at least half. Maybe we could form two groups and meet up later?
Well, we'll see who actually shows up on the day but we will definitely find a way to work it out. I'm looking forward to a good time.
Old 05-19-16, 01:41 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
People will be able to join or exit the group ride after 10 miles during the stop along Main street in Downtown Edwardsville. This will allow a 22 mile ride if a rider wants to join us at 11:30.

There will also be a shortcut back to the starting point at mile 24 that provides a easy and direct route to the final destination.

The idea of having two groups has plenty of merit. I'll send you an email to discuss.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-21-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 09:27 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Just bumping this up as it is getting close. Looking forward to the weekend.
Old 06-17-16, 09:56 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I'm not going to be able to make any of it. We're going to be getting ready for an invasion of 4 generations of family all at once. My nephew has planned to get a photo with everyone in it, as a gift for my Mom for her 90th birthday (which was yesterday on the 16th of June!).

Sigh. My heart will be on the trail, while my hands are busy cleaning and kid-proofing the house....
Old 06-17-16, 05:21 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I'm not going to be able to make any of it. We're going to be getting ready for an invasion of 4 generations of family all at once. My nephew has planned to get a photo with everyone in it, as a gift for my Mom for her 90th birthday (which was yesterday on the 16th of June!).

Sigh. My heart will be on the trail, while my hands are busy cleaning and kid-proofing the house....
Sorry we won't get to meet up, but family always must come first.
Happy 90th to your Mom.
Old 06-20-16, 04:29 PM
Luckydog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emphasis is on social. We've done this ride a couple of times previously and had a wonderful time. Post or PM me if you'd like more details.
Sorry, you PMed me and I could see that, but the site won't let me PM because I haven't posted 50 messages yet (I'm new here). I see the dates are July 9 and 10, but what time, where on the trail, how long is the ride, etc. I'm curious about whatever info you have.
Old 06-20-16, 06:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

I'm surprised that they won't let you return my PM.

Saturday ride leaves from the Bike Stop Cafe on the St Charles Riverfront at 10:00 AM. Past times we have ridden to the Daniel Boone Bridge and back, about 25 miles. Since it's an out and back, folks who don't want to ride that far can cut it as short as they like.

Barrettscv has planned the Sunday ride to start in LaClaire Park in Edwardsville, Il. It will be 90% on the excellent mostly paved trails in Madison County, Il. The park is hosting an antique bike show in the afternoon so I think that's going to be pretty neat. There are ways to short cut that ride also and it looks like at least a couple of riders are planning to take that option.

I'll PM you an email address if you have any other questions.
Old 06-23-16, 08:49 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Luckydog
Sorry, you PMed me and I could see that, but the site won't let me PM because I haven't posted 50 messages yet (I'm new here). I see the dates are July 9 and 10, but what time, where on the trail, how long is the ride, etc. I'm curious about whatever info you have.
Reply;

Old 06-29-16, 07:08 AM
Dan Burkhart 

I'm surprised that they won't let you return my PM.

Saturday ride leaves from the Bike Stop Cafe on the St Charles Riverfront at 10:00 AM. Past times we have ridden to the Daniel Boone Bridge and back, about 25 miles. Since it's an out and back, folks who don't want to ride that far can cut it as short as they like.

Barrettscv has planned the Sunday ride to start in LaClaire Park in Edwardsville, Il. It will be 90% on the excellent mostly paved trails in Madison County, Il. The park is hosting an antique bike show in the afternoon so I think that's going to be pretty neat. There are ways to short cut that ride also and it looks like at least a couple of riders are planning to take that option.

I'll PM you an email address if you have any other questions.
Is there a plan for a lunch stop along the way on Saturday or do we play that one by ear?
Old 07-05-16, 07:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Weather forecast for July 9: Partly cloudy high of 88. Not likely to get much nicer than that for July in Missouri.
Old 07-07-16, 04:56 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

I plan to be at both.
Old 07-08-16, 12:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Since its a small group, please start at 832 Madison Ave, Edwardsville Il. 62025. Please arrive at 10:00AM Sunday. We will depart at 10:15.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-09-16 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 01:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Since its a small group, please start at 832 Madison Ave, Edwardsville Il. 62025. Please arrive at 1:00AM Sunday. We will depart at 10:15.
Please at least make a swing past the park. I've posted the park to several folks as the starting place.
Old 07-08-16, 02:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Please at least make a swing past the park. I've posted the park to several folks as the starting place.
It's less than a block away.
Old 07-08-16, 07:04 PM
Dan Burkhart 

We are in town. Arrived late this afternoon.
See you all in the morning.
Old 07-09-16, 04:14 PM
JerrySTL

Great riding with you all!
Old 07-09-16, 06:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Great riding with you all!
Great to meet you Jerry, Retro Grouch and the rest.
It was a perfect day for it. looking forward to part two tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.